Out of our reserves, who can make it? - In the next few years...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:26 am

Scottbot wrote:It's VERY difficult to guess who might come through. I was convinced a couple of seasons back that Astrit Adstravic (or however you spell it!) was gonna be a cracking player but it never happened and the lad is with Leicester now i believe.

wasnt he the Berger look-alike?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby shanklygates » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:48 am

i agree with the general assumption in this topic about the ones who will make it out the reserves, although tbh i cba reading 60 posts, so sorry if i say someone who is already mentioned.]

as stated kelly looks to be the one who will break into the first team, he can play Cb and RB and he looks like a brilliant prospect.

nemeth must be to light weight or something, i did think he would break through though.

spearing is not good enough to me, he is small has no pace and looks like a headless chicken.

pacheco is a small player too but he has pace flair and trickery and he will make the grade soon enough.

steven darby is another one i consider good enough to become a regular in the first team, he is a good right back and in the games i've seen him in he has done well.

the ones to watch out for are christopher buchtmann and mavinga.
shanklygates

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:27 pm

spion wrote:Always thought Paul Anderson would make it & now looks good in a Forest shirt. Also thought Adam Hammill would be fantastic in a Liverpool shirt but the management didn't like his attitude toward the reserve set up after he made comments about the fact that the overseas players get all the attention. Steven Warnock is a quality player who we should've never sold. Houllier rarely gave the ressies a chance in the first team & if they had one bad game they never played again. Benitez seems to have the same opinion.

Talking of Hammill, wasn't he one of the scorers in that game that was abandoned when they were 4-1 up!?!? Just imagine having to replay that and start at 0-0.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 pm

JoeTerp wrote:he had size and talent, but there were lots of reports of him having some serious attitude problems, and mental strength is certainly something that is required to make it as a footballer at the highest level and is just something you can't see unless your in training and around the kids all the time.

yeah, that's what i heard about the lad, he had a sweet left foot on him and yes he was the Paddy Berger lookalike Max. not sure how he is getting on at Leicester.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanklygates » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:30 pm

when you look at the younger players that are coming through the ranks, how many of them are actually good enough.

we have seen stephen darby tonight and pacheco, we cant really sit here and judge them on 1 performance, but they are very consistent in the reserves, so at least deserve their chance.

if i was darby i wouldnt beat himself up to much over the mistake he made, its all part of the learning.

jay spearing has played a few games, but im not sure if he has the build physically or the pace to become a great player for liverpool.

damien plessis could be good but he needs more games.

insua certainly looks like he needs a rest and tbh he isnt looking great at the moment, he gets turned on virtually every opportunity.

ngogs goals to games ratio is very impressive and he could definitely be a good player in the future.

martin kelly to me is the next jamie carragher, he can play CB or RB and looks very impressive indeed, i think he could be a captain in years to come.

i know there are more young players hoping to make the grade but the ones mentioned have played some games.

one player im dissapointed we sold is adam hamill, this was a kid who can play either wings, he went to dunfermiline and they called him inspirational, he scored a few sensational goals as well, 1 from the half way line for our reserves.

i remember one match against celtic were he chipped neil lennon who is no mug took it on the chest knee foot then ran off with it, he also scored a 25 yard thunder bolt into the top corner against celtic too.

southampton loved him, and now barnsley love him scoring some match winning goals, and nice ones too.

would love to see him back in the prem with someone and basically shoving 2 fingers up and saying liverpool this is what your missing.
shanklygates

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Unfortunately for Darby he was out of his depth. He let the attacker come behind him for the first goal and didnt clear it which led to the second. Caught out twice.
Unlucky. Hope he learns from this
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:21 am

Mistake after mistake after mistake.....Shouldn't these be drilled out of the kids in the Reserves or the Academy ? Even Skrtel was guilty and he's the grand old age of 24
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:55 am

shanklygates wrote:when you look at the younger players that are coming through the ranks, how many of them are actually good enough.

we have seen stephen darby tonight and pacheco, we cant really sit here and judge them on 1 performance, but they are very consistent in the reserves, so at least deserve their chance.

if i was darby i wouldnt beat himself up to much over the mistake he made, its all part of the learning.

jay spearing has played a few games, but im not sure if he has the build physically or the pace to become a great player for liverpool.

damien plessis could be good but he needs more games.

insua certainly looks like he needs a rest and tbh he isnt looking great at the moment, he gets turned on virtually every opportunity.

ngogs goals to games ratio is very impressive and he could definitely be a good player in the future.

martin kelly to me is the next jamie carragher, he can play CB or RB and looks very impressive indeed, i think he could be a captain in years to come.

i know there are more young players hoping to make the grade but the ones mentioned have played some games.

one player im dissapointed we sold is adam hamill, this was a kid who can play either wings, he went to dunfermiline and they called him inspirational, he scored a few sensational goals as well, 1 from the half way line for our reserves.

i remember one match against celtic were he chipped neil lennon who is no mug took it on the chest knee foot then ran off with it, he also scored a 25 yard thunder bolt into the top corner against celtic too.

southampton loved him, and now barnsley love him scoring some match winning goals, and nice ones too.

would love to see him back in the prem with someone and basically shoving 2 fingers up and saying liverpool this is what your missing.

Your "Liverpool Kiddies" thread has been merged with the existing thread on the subject.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Star in the making: Mikel San Jose - 22nd Dec 2009

Mikel San Jose is making a real impression back in Spain on loan with Atletico Bilbao.

San Jose arrived on Merseyside at the end of the 2006-07 season from Athletic Bilbao. The Basque player progressed through the youth ranks at the La Liga club and became a regular in the youth B team before moving to the A team in 2006.

Generally used as a centre-back, San Jose can also play in midfield and is somewhat known as a utility player and during his season with the Bilbao reserve team he played 27 times and scored 5 goals during 2006-07.

San Jose was also now becoming a prominent part in the national team youth setup and played an important role for Spain at the back during their successful campaign to lift the UEFA European U-19 Championship in the summer of 2007.

At the tournament, he caught the eye of Liverpool's scouts and an offer was made to the young Basque defender to join the Merseyside club. He however accepted a three year contract to join Liverpool and the Spanish defender had great ambitions on his arrival at Anfield.

During his two years at the club, San Jose has impressed in the reserves. At 6ft 1, he is an ideal height for a defender and he can also be a threat at set pieces in the opposition penalty box. Now 20 years of age at the start of this season, it was clear to Rafa Benitez and his backroom staff that the young defender needed to gain experience before making any first team appearances for the Reds. He had been an unused substitute in an away match against Chelsea in February 2008 but that was a close as San Jose had got to first team action.

Liverpool decided to accept a loan offer from San Jose's previous club Athletic Bilbao at the start of this season in the hope the Spaniard would gain invaluable first team experience in a top European league such as La Liga.

Initially though, San Jose was left out of the first team eleven for the best part of four months and until the start of November, had only featured in seven minutes for Bilbao in the first team.

However, fortunes have turned around in the last month. He has started Bilbao's last four games, scoring on his first start against Austria Vienna in the Europa League, following it up with a powerful header against Zaragoza in a league game two weeks ago.

Four starts, and two goals, is certainly an impressive start to his time in Spain, and the promise he showed in his early career looks like it is about to be realised.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Sabre – Have you got any updates on San Jose?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Right, I know it wasn't the Reserves, but anybody have a link to the goals from the Youth Cup last nite ?
Looks like a fairly decent performance from the chisellers - 5-1 vs. Leicester. A hat trick from LDV...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Right, I know it wasn't the Reserves, but anybody have a link to the goals from the Youth Cup last nite ?
Looks like a fairly decent performance from the chisellers - 5-1 vs. Leicester. A hat trick from LDV...

There is one on the official website, need an e-season ticket to watch it though

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/reserves

I see we're top of the table (reserves), but where are Chelski - or indeed Arsenal? And why haven't spudz put in a reserve team?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Took my Lad to watch the game at Tranmere against Hull ,and David Amoo was brilliant a tad raw but certainly has the ability ,he scored two and layed on another ,and along with Pacheco who was equally as impressive gave an excellent performance maybe even warranting his eventual inclusion in the Liverpool 1st team .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Owzat wrote:I see we're top of the table (reserves), but where are Chelski - or indeed Arsenal? And why haven't spudz put in a reserve team?

Its the Northern Reserve League
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion