How bad/good is our start?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:32 am

So if we were to lose at Stamford Bridge and be in all probability nine points behind Chelsea, would you be slightly concerned or would it be the time for the old "it's early days" and the "you don't lose/win the title in early October" chestnuts to be wheeled out?
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:37 am

bigmick wrote:So if we were to lose at Stamford Bridge and be in all probability nine points behind Chelsea, would you be slightly concerned or would it be the time for the old "it's early days" and the "you don't lose/win the title in early October" chestnuts to be wheeled out?

Well lets see what happens at Stamford Bridge then - Chelsea could of lost by then as well but unfortunately i cant say what will happen due to my crystal ball not working - we could just as easily go to stamford bridge and win .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:37 am

bigmick wrote:So if we were to lose at Stamford Bridge and be in all probability nine points behind Chelsea,

Im hoping Dropba has a serious injury and will be out of our game, plus they will miss quite a few players when the african nations starts and they cannot buy any more players in January. We stopped their run last season lets hope we can do it again this one, you never know with the tricky reds  :)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 am

Course you don't know Lynds, nobody can say for sure what will happen. I actually quite fancy us to put a stick into their blurry spokes myself, but my point is quite simply that even at this stage of the season, if we go into the match six points behind them as we currently are (and most probably will in fairness) the game is IMHO very close to a must not lose. If we did lose there, it's a long long way back.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:54 am

GYBS wrote:
bigmick wrote:So if we were to lose at Stamford Bridge and be in all probability nine points behind Chelsea, would you be slightly concerned or would it be the time for the old "it's early days" and the "you don't lose/win the title in early October" chestnuts to be wheeled out?

Well lets see what happens at Stamford Bridge then - Chelsea could of lost by then as well but unfortunately i cant say what will happen due to my crystal ball not working - we could just as easily go to stamford bridge and win .

I don't think you've understood my question mate. I'm asking you if we did lose, (and there is at least a possibility lets be honest) would you consider our title challenge to be in danger or petering out, or would you think as it's so early in the season any deficit is retrieveable?

I've a feeling I already know your answer though so don't bother replying if you don't feel like it :D.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:59 am

bigmick wrote:
GYBS wrote:

I don't think you've understood my question mate. I'm asking you if we did lose, (and there is at least a possibility lets be honest) would you consider our title challenge to be in danger or petering out, or would you think as it's so early in the season any deficit is retrieveable?

I've a feeling I already know your answer though so don't bother replying if you don't feel like it :D.

Would or challenge be over = No
Would it be hard and a battle =yes
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:02 pm

We need to aim at 27+ wins, ok 27 wins and 11 defeats probably won't be enough, but if we don't win 27+ then I'd say we've no chance. The bonus of this season is we're not drawing, go for the win and we've as good a chance as we ever can expect. Start sitting back and accepting draws and Rafa might as well go.

Need to work on the defending though, especially set-pieces. Otherwise let's go on a winning run of 10+ games and give the other sides something to think about for a change
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:27 pm

View from the Sunday Supplement at the weekend:

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,12602_5574015,00.html
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Well the table certainly looks a bit healthier than it did a few weeks ago. And whilst we look a bit suspect at the back, we're creating chances and scoring goals for fun. We deffo caught a break with Chelsea losing at Wigan yesterday and it takes a little bit of pressure off the game at Stanford Bridge on Sunday. It's not a ground we have had much success at over the years but last season's win in the league and the 4-4 draw in the Champ League should have laid a few of those demons to rest. I've got a ticket for Sunday's game (47 fookin quid!!!) and i'm confident we can get go and get something from it, especially with Cech suspended.

PS. How nice is it that we have stopped talking about Alonso!?! As much as I miss the player it was getting very tedious!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:20 pm

So if we were to lose at Stamford Bridge and be in all probability nine points behind Chelsea,

Worst case scenario doesn't have to be the realistic scenario. :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Sabre wrote:
So if we were to lose at Stamford Bridge and be in all probability nine points behind Chelsea,

:D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:00 pm

GYBS wrote:
Sabre wrote:

:D

???   :D same old same old....burnley beat your mancs aswell lol.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:06 pm

beat Chelsea then we'll discuss this :;):
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby bigmick » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:49 pm

bigmick wrote:I know I wouldn't, and I still think unless Chelsea inexplicably fail to beat Wigan next week , defeat at Stamford Bridge and the resulting 9 point deficit would leave us an absolulute mountain to climb even as it is.

Well they did fail to beat Wigan as a few are keen to remind me, although I'm not sure the idea that they would win there wasn't the "most realistic scenario". It's just as well, because if they hadn't and they were to beat us On Sunday, I do think we would have been gone for all money.

As I said earlier in this thread however, I do actually fancy us to get a result there, even more so now the match has less of a "do or die" look to it.

In fairness, despite Chelsea's banana skin at Wigan, we really could still do with avoiding defeat. The Mancs look like they're on one of "those" runs, and despite Sunderland and more specifically Darren Bent scoring goals every week, it's hard to see them getting a result at Old Trafford. Arsenal host Blackburn, so while defeat at the Bridge would no longer be terminal IMHO, it would be a crushing body blow.

My feeling is though that we'll draw 1-1.

As for Neils "Burnley beat your Mancs as well" comment :). Deary me.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 am

The way I see it chelsea and man u have fortunately won games right at the death (and in the after life in the citeh game) and both have been beaten already by poor relegation fodder teams, we could quite easily be top at the moment. We also appear to be on one of "those" runs. Bring on Chelsea. * jumps up and down to the torres chant*
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion