Who else do we need? - Weak areas,replacements

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:54 pm

bigmick wrote:
GYBS wrote:yes we know all about the players that have arrived at the club but you cant state that rafa wouldnt of played players like gerrard owen etc as its a statement with no backing whatsoever

Well nobody knows in truth. Two things though, Gerrard, Owen, Fowler and the like were miles better than any of our young kids we currently have, so just because Rafa hasn't played any of the current crop it doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have played them. The other side of the coin though for me is that after five years of scouring the globe for talent, we haven't found a single player who is banging on the door, never mind kicking it in.

I know people love Insua because he's the first, but tidy though he is, I'd be amazed if he became a regular for us I really would.

They haven't much hope when we're spending £6m on CBs and GKs, £7m-£17.5m on full-backs, £10m-£20m on midfielders, £20m+ on strikers and in the region of £10m on strikers converted to wingers.

Wenger has the knack of unearthing talent at little cost, fergie goes out and throws money at them. While Rafa's record in buying 1st teamers is patchy, his record in buying the kids is lots of quantity, no sign of much quality. When are these kids that Joe Terp mentions every third breath going to come through? Nemeth, Pacheco etc If players like those couldn't make the bench yesterday with Spearing, Dross, Ayala and Kelly in the seven (not to mention Voronin) then that either questions Rafas decision to buy these foreign kids and their quality, or his decision not to use them. Which is it?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tim LFC » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:18 pm

It's fairly obvious we need to spend another 20m! And apparently Rafa has got 20m! We should spend 6m or 7m on Tuncay and still have En'Gog and try Nemeth for once! We should buy Kranjar or Van Der Vart for 7m or 8m. And Upson for 6 or 7m. While selling Voronin for 3m or 4m. Selling Babel if we can or at least kicking him up the :censored:! But the one thing that would improve his game immensely would be able to pass quicker and better!
Tim LFC

Postby SAWells1 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:36 pm

We need a creative player fast! if money isn't the case then why doesn't rafa snap up Ever Banega or even Pablo Aimar who is 29 but would give us two or three good seasons whilst rafa finds more money for a long term solution. However if money is the problem why not re-sign Dietmar Hamann? he has good vision and awareness he is a free agent and would be more than happy to play for Liverpool again.
SAWells1

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:41 pm

Owzat wrote:
bigmick wrote:
GYBS wrote:yes we know all about the players that have arrived at the club but you cant state that rafa wouldnt of played players like gerrard owen etc as its a statement with no backing whatsoever

Well nobody knows in truth. Two things though, Gerrard, Owen, Fowler and the like were miles better than any of our young kids we currently have, so just because Rafa hasn't played any of the current crop it doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have played them. The other side of the coin though for me is that after five years of scouring the globe for talent, we haven't found a single player who is banging on the door, never mind kicking it in.

I know people love Insua because he's the first, but tidy though he is, I'd be amazed if he became a regular for us I really would.

They haven't much hope when we're spending £6m on CBs and GKs, £7m-£17.5m on full-backs, £10m-£20m on midfielders, £20m+ on strikers and in the region of £10m on strikers converted to wingers.

Wenger has the knack of unearthing talent at little cost, fergie goes out and throws money at them. While Rafa's record in buying 1st teamers is patchy, his record in buying the kids is lots of quantity, no sign of much quality. When are these kids that Joe Terp mentions every third breath going to come through? Nemeth, Pacheco etc If players like those couldn't make the bench yesterday with Spearing, Dross, Ayala and Kelly in the seven (not to mention Voronin) then that either questions Rafas decision to buy these foreign kids and their quality, or his decision not to use them. Which is it?

hold the f.ecking phone 1 second here. I can't remember what I was saying a couple years ago, but for a good year now, if not more most of my posts on the potential of the youngins have been aimed at coolin down the hype that others have built up.

One thing I would say in defense of our system is that English teams have a tough time with permits for kids from South America, unless they have a passport. And a lot of the big time youngsters out there that are widely considred to be the next big thing (people like Pato) are too pricey for us to afford the risk.

All that said, IF there was a person to hold your breath on, it would be Lauri Dalla Valle. He trialed at Inter and only left because he didn't settle to life there (IIRC) (went there very, very young). He is still yet to turn 18, but hoepfully we will clear out some of the deadwood in the reserves and give him an opportunity to prove himself at that level.

We also have a lot of England internationals that are 1st year academy players and I am looking to see how they play.

I think a lot of you guys would like the interview with the new U-18 coach. He was ALL about Scousers coming through, and if not then at least English players.  He also doesn't believe in changing the team to fit your opponent (wouldn't make sense to do it any differently at U-18 level, but I know a lot would like to see it more at 1st team level)
JoeTerp

Postby sixbuster » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:41 pm

Sign a coach who can get Babel to trap, pass, shoot, run into proper positions would be nice
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:45 pm

SAWells1 wrote:We need a creative player fast! if money isn't the case then why doesn't rafa snap up Ever Banega or even Pablo Aimar who is 29 but would give us two or three good seasons whilst rafa finds more money for a long term solution. However if money is the problem why not re-sign Dietmar Hamann? he has good vision and awareness he is a free agent and would be more than happy to play for Liverpool again.

depends on the price, but I would actually really fancy us getting Banega. but he is NOT a creative player. He is a Mascherano but who actually has a bit of technical ability. I think he desperately needs to play under Rafa to get his career back on the right track, and we need someone who can fill in for Mascherano so that Lucas and or Aquilani can focus and getting further forward.
JoeTerp

Postby sixbuster » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:49 pm

Pardon my ignorance but who is Banega?
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby parchpea » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 pm

When we sold Alonso he should have used the money to buy a top class stike partner for Torres. Trouble is hes stuck with the system rather than getting the best from the players. We paid £17m for a right back when we had a decent right back who Madrid saw fit to sign for £5m so weve wasted £12m there. I know Johnson looks decent you have to improve weak areas and frankly Arbeloa was doing alright. I just dont get it. We need a centre back and centre forward and to change to a 4-4-2 rather than playing the system that worked with Alonso without him being with us anymore. Rafa  usually ends up doing ok with his methods but I just feel that if he was more flexible and ambitious with our play it could be the difference between being second best and winning the league so its frustrating at times. Our bench looked so weak yesterday compared to Tottenhams who had Crouch, Pavlychenko and Bentley waiting to get on when that its clear we need more players in surely. You can go over the same ground time after time but Babel, Voronin, Lucas, Ngog, El Zhar and the likes are not going to pull up any trees at Anfield no matter how much we wish they would so lord knows why they didnt ship these lads out and move on. Rafa was was quick to ditch Keane and yet he holds on to players that have done nothing for the club over longer periods. Its a mystery.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Effes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Distin or Sol Campbell; should have got Sneijder, Van Nistelrooy.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby del_potro » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm

SAWells1 wrote:We need a creative player fast! if money isn't the case then why doesn't rafa snap up Ever Banega or even Pablo Aimar who is 29 but would give us two or three good seasons whilst rafa finds more money for a long term solution. However if money is the problem why not re-sign Dietmar Hamann? he has good vision and awareness he is a free agent and would be more than happy to play for Liverpool again.

Hamanns time is over.

In this period he talked with 1860 Monachium for a contract, and they play in the second Bundesliga.

Liverpool plays at the top of the Premier League. He cant help us.
Last edited by del_potro on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A german Liverpool fan
del_potro

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:31 pm

sixbuster wrote:Pardon my ignorance but who is Banega?

21 year old Argie. Plays for Valencia, was on loan to Atletico Madrid last season. Was bought for big bucks (18 M Euros) from Boca, after impressing when he filled in after Gago left.  PLayed with Gago and Mashcerano in the Olympics.  WOn the U-20 World Cup with Insua in 2007. He is a Defensive Midfielder who LOVES throwing in tackles, has some nice dribbling and passing skills too. Plays with a bit of a hot head.

I would only want to pay something like 7 or 8 Million for him, or on loan. Actually I think it would make sense to swap him for Babel, because they are in similar boats.  And then since Valencia have Babel, I guess they wouldn't be needed Silva or Mata as much anymore  :D
JoeTerp

Postby sixbuster » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
sixbuster wrote:Pardon my ignorance but who is Banega?

21 year old Argie. Plays for Valencia, was on loan to Atletico Madrid last season. Was bought for big bucks (18 M Euros) from Boca, after impressing when he filled in after Gago left.  PLayed with Gago and Mashcerano in the Olympics.  WOn the U-20 World Cup with Insua in 2007. He is a Defensive Midfielder who LOVES throwing in tackles, has some nice dribbling and passing skills too. Plays with a bit of a hot head.

I would only want to pay something like 7 or 8 Million for him, or on loan. Actually I think it would make sense to swap him for Babel, because they are in similar boats.  And then since Valencia have Babel, I guess they wouldn't be needed Silva or Mata as much anymore  :D

Thanks Joe, sounds ok to me
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Hiya from me side of me swiming pool  :laugh: watched the game yesterday from a pub ful of spurs fans it was :censored: embarressing im tellin you who do we need ha we need a team who will :censored: compete show heart show botle.thats it
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:59 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Hiya from me side of me swiming pool  :laugh: watched the game yesterday from a pub ful of spurs fans it was :censored: embarressing im tellin you who do we need ha we need a team who will :censored: compete show heart show botle.thats it

Get back on yer lilo !!  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Effes wrote:should have got Sneijder, Van Nistelrooy.

100% agree..... absolute no brainer to me.

Having Sneijder would have consolidated Stevie G up front, and Van Horseface would both cover SG and Torres and provide a good substitution option.

VHF or Voronin..... I´d take VHF every time.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion