Alvaro Arbeloa - Impressed?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:21 pm

am i the only one glad to see the back of him? His attitude at times was awful and Carra's rant at him at the West Brom game was evidence of it.

3.5 million isn't bad...i wouldn't say he's worth anymore than 4.5 tops anyway.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:31 pm

That is a bit harsh on the guy  :D

I'd still consider him worth around 8 million, but we got what he was worth considering the circumstances.

I just can't wish him luck though, considering where he will be playing   :angry:
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 pm

7_Kewell wrote:am i the only one glad to see the back of him? His attitude at times was awful and Carra's rant at him at the West Brom game was evidence of it.

3.5 million isn't bad...i wouldn't say he's worth anymore than 4.5 tops anyway.

Nah mate...I think he was a decent player for us. Granted he had a few mares alright but then who doesn't ? I think we sold him on the cheap, and I don't know if there was something between him and Rafa that made him want to leave. Can't believe a new signing makes a player want to sod off to Real Madrid, esp. when he's gonna be behind in the pecking order.
FWIW, I do think he's a helluva lot better than Ramos though....3.5M was a snip
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby TheLad » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:36 pm

Good luck, too bad you didn't stay.  :(
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:41 am

On the fee, when will we ever learn with regards to letting players contracts run down to only having a year left?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:30 pm

It will be interesting how the english journos will translate this sentence "Vengo de un pedazo de club, pero para mi como el Madrid no hay nada".

Which literally means "I come from a piece of club, but there's nothing like Real Madrid" and should be translated as "I come from a huge club, but for me there's nothing like Real Madrid".

Arby, in his first hours as Madridist has at least talked very well about his team mates. Playing alongside this big players he says, has not only made him a better footballer but also a better person.
He claims to have picked the right path by going to Liverpool.

What I don't know as a football fan is why he thinks things have changed in Real Madrid. If he doesn't win it all, they'll throw him like a kleenex.

P.S. Interestingly enough, Marca publishes today that Bayern Munich had also made the same offer for him, but the player preferred to join Madrid for less money.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Don't let the door hit you on the way out , goodbye and good riddance
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:25 pm

I rated Arbeloa as a defender, I thought he was very solid if not spectacular. He came on a lot in the few years he was here.

I have to say that the one thing I didn't appreciate was his attitude on the pitch at times.  I think he's a dishonest player, always tugging at shirts and if he gets the slightest touch he goes down like a sack of sh.it.  Very much in the Carvalho or Puyol mould of defender.  He should fit right in at Madrid.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:56 pm

john craig wrote:I rated Arbeloa as a defender, I thought he was very solid if not spectacular. He came on a lot in the few years he was here.

I have to say that the one thing I didn't appreciate was his attitude on the pitch at times.  I think he's a dishonest player, always tugging at shirts and if he gets the slightest touch he goes down like a sack of sh.it.  Very much in the Carvalho or Puyol mould of defender.  He should fit right in at Madrid.

what defender dosnt tug at shirts?  :D

seriously though, Arbeloa was a decent player for us and i wish him well. I dont think he will be missed though as Johnson is a far superior player, though i would have liked him to stay as back up, as he i a lot better than that Degen who is awful.

Expect Arbeloa to be sold by Real to some mid table Spanish team like Deportivo or Betis within a couple of years.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:18 pm

Arbelo's most significant contribution was early on when he played at left back in the Barcelona champions league game.  However, I considered him a weak link in last years team.  To quote Fowler_E7 Glen Johnson offers far more to the side.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:57 pm

He's taken a risk has Albert. Not many c.£3.5m players hang around there for too long, least not in the first team.
LFC2007

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Toffeehater wrote:Don't let the door hit you on the way out , goodbye and good riddance

???
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:49 am

Greavesie wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:Don't let the door hit you on the way out , goodbye and good riddance

???

I never rated him but he was a good stop gap , now that we have someone better he should have sign an extension , he might have gotten games at left back and would have been there for cover . Still would have played about 30 games a season. Instead he decides to :censored: off to the club where he couldn't make it before after rafa have revitalized his career. I remember heimdall saying argie players have no loyalty well , some Spanish players as well , alonso (arguably) , arbeloa , reyes are some.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:35 am

Toffeehater wrote:
Greavesie wrote:

???

I never rated him but he was a good stop gap , now that we have someone better he should have sign an extension , he might have gotten games at left back and would have been there for cover . Still would have played about 30 games a season. Instead he decides to :censored: off to the club where he couldn't make it before after rafa have revitalized his career. I remember heimdall saying argie players have no loyalty well , some Spanish players as well , alonso (arguably) , arbeloa , reyes are some.

I don't think you can damn a whole nation mate because a couple of footballers fancy going home now they've got married. It's not about "loyalty", in the case of Arbeloa he arrived an unknown, has made his name and it's a good chance to get back home.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:02 am

I don't think that we should pretend that English players don't f.uck off to other English clubs for other various reasons. Its our own fault that we let the contract run down so close, but either way we got good service out of the player as well as a small profit. Johnson comes in and threatens Arbeloa's place, he wants to leave. Torres and Gerrard form a dominating partnership, Crouchie wants to leave.

is there a greater risk of a foreigners family not settling, yes. BUT they also come cheaper in the first place, and where are you likely to find more of the highest quality footballers in the world: one tiny island OR the rest of world?  its something that, imo its just part of the international game. Didn't seem to be much of a problem for Hyypia.
JoeTerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion