Country music - Does anyone here like it ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Was brought up on country music by me mum and dad , Every sunday morning . Merle Haggard , Don williams , Frankie Lane , Charlie Pride , tammy wynett , her sister chrystal gale . Throw a little bit of the everley brothers in there and your laffin kidda's. Glorious sunday mornings , with mum making the sunday roast and me dad thinkin he was bl00dy John wayne or summit . ahhh there's a tear in me eye now ,woof you sentemental old mut yer.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:57 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Robert Earle Keen - The Road Goes on Forever

This fecker's not even remotely good enough for this thread, Joe.  Must've been a Rick Parry pick!  :no  :D

Anyone else scared to click on Lee's link?  All I can imagine our warbly tunes about rug burn on bellends and ballads of Trap 2!  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Was brought up on country music by me mum and dad , Every sunday morning . Merle Haggard , Don williams , Frankie Lane , Charlie Pride , tammy wynett , her sister chrystal gale . Throw a little bit of the everley brothers in there and your laffin kidda's. Glorious sunday mornings , with mum making the sunday roast and me dad thinkin he was bl00dy John wayne or summit . ahhh there's a tear in me eye now ,woof you sentemental old mut yer.

You cant beat a bit of Frankie LaIne, Igor

I believe, brilliant song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d3KYaI0U14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwAPa0qHmLo
Last edited by NANNY RED on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Robert Earle Keen - The Road Goes on Forever

This fecker's not even remotely good enough for this thread, Joe.  Must've been a Rick Parry pick!  :no 

Anyone else scared to click on Lee's link?  All I can imagine our warbly tunes about rug burn on bellends and ballads of Trap 2!  :laugh:

none of my friends like him either

oh wait it was a robbie keane joke  I feel like an idiot  :kungfu:    :help    :alien:
JoeTerp

Postby Dundalk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Mmm....Not for me

Sorry
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:39 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Emmylou's a legend Bob. Her "Wreckin Ball" album took "country" music to another level.

All my Tears - from wreckin' ball

Quality track Woof!  :nod

More bands that skirt the edge of country for me and that are, therefore, enjoyable:

Neil Young - Harvest

Los Lobos - Will the Wolf Survive

The Band - It Makes No Difference

This, though, is the greatest country song ever recorded! :nod

Be prepared to sing along
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 pm

JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:31 pm

JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:52 pm

Basque country

This is the kind of stuff  that would listen to my grandma when he approached the village from her house in the mountains.

Joe, I think that some of your country and this basque music have some roots in common (the basque that is northern spanish music have obvious common roots with other europeans, totally different to flamenco)
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Always liked this, and it was a good film too!

deliverance
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 am

Sabre wrote:Basque country

This is the kind of stuff  that would listen to my grandma when he approached the village from her house in the mountains.

Joe, I think that some of your country and this basque music have some roots in common (the basque that is northern spanish music have obvious common roots with other europeans, totally different to flamenco)

First time I've ever heard Basque traditional music Sabre. If you hadn't have told me I would have sworn it was from England.

I guess there's a shared heritage of that style of music that runs from nothern Spain up through Brittany (France) and across the channel into Cornwall and even parts of Ireland and Scotland.

Traditional music from Cornwall (England)

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 am

music like this

would probably be called more Creole or Cajun than country. But then there is certainly a fine line there as a lot of country and bluegrass musicians come from Lousiana and Texas and bring some of that bayou flavor out.

more cajun dancin'

this old guy moves pretty good

Pretty good example of a transitional sound from Cajun to Country/Western

Wish I could recall more from my ethnomusicology class (didn't really show up that much) but I do remember we spent a lot of time on Creole and Cajun.
JoeTerp

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:04 pm

anyone like Johnny Cash?

Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings kicked a$$ in the 70's. As did Merle Haggard.

If ya wanna listen to some 'modern' Country Music try some Reckless Kelly. Also, Steve Earle and The Eagles.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:47 pm

JoeTerp wrote:

music like this

would probably be called more Creole or Cajun than country. But then there is certainly a fine line there as a lot of country and bluegrass musicians come from Lousiana and Texas and bring some of that bayou flavor out.

more cajun dancin'

this old guy moves pretty good

Pretty good example of a transitional sound from Cajun to Country/Western

Wish I could recall more from my ethnomusicology class (didn't really show up that much) but I do remember we spent a lot of time on Creole and Cajun.

The Basque stuff definitely reminds me of Cajun as well, Joe.  Here's a clip of the undisputed Zydeco master Clifton Chenier:

King of the Bayou

(People will remember a few tracks off Paul Simon's Graceland album had that zydeco flavour, particularly "That Was Your Mother")
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:43 am

Have you booked your holidays to Nashville yet Woof make sure you visit the Grand Old Oprey now :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum