Champions league proper - The group of death ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:12 pm

finally, more midweek european games on telly!

We were unlucky to draw 2 of last years semi-finalists. It's a very tough group. Monaco hardly deserved to be in the 3rd tier for the draw after reaching the final last season. Monaco and Deportiva will be tough, altho monaco sold Prso to rangers and he was great last year in the compo and depor were poor against shels. Its gonna be tough and i'm not taken anything for granted against any of the teams we got and expect it to be close. I'd say we're the best team in the group and our odds are shortest(lfc 20/1, depor 22/1, monaco 30/1). But Its always tough to win away in europe and we'll have to get at least 5 pnts away from home to win the group. I'd definitely settle for 2nd tho.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:12 pm

adayinthelife wrote:cska who ambramovich has many links with and no doubt they will not put up any struggle against chelsea.

there is a UEFA investigation into this.

Story here.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:14 pm

scum are lucky b@stards, but I think they will fail to make it through to the second stage anyways. I think that when avoiding Real Madrid, Barcelona in addition to the italian teams we can`t be dissapointed with the draw.
I think we`re gonna do it.

Walk on,
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieRed » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:50 am

of course MANURE got the easiest draw of the lot... :angry:
AussieRed

Postby greenred » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:59 am

If we cant get through that group than we can forget any chance of ever winning the CL. We are the biggest club in that group,the richest,the most successful,with the best players and hopefully the best manager.I dont see that group as a major problem.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:13 am

It's a good draw... where in there..it could have been much worse.. at this level you've got to be prepared to face the cream of Europe , after all that's what its all about ..its exciting :)

Wait till they see the sign:

THIS IS
                                         ANFIELD
                                      HOME OF THE
                                          HUNKS

:p :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zardoz » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:00 am

by the way for the first pool games there will be 3 England-France :;):

what do you expect ?  :p

PSG - Chelsea

Lyon - Manchester United

Liverpool - Monaco
Zardoz

Postby L-type » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:25 am

Zardoz wrote:by the way for the first pool games there will be 3 England-France :;):

what do you expect ?  :p

PSG - Chelsea

Lyon - Manchester United

Liverpool - Monaco

PSG 0 - Chelsea 2

Lyon 2 - Man U 1

Liverpool 99999999 - monaco 99999998
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:52 am

Monaco is a tough team to beat. Although they are a small team, Deschamps has got them to play a very good counter-attacking game. it remains to be seen how they get on this year with Morrientes back in Madrid, Pros off to Rangers, and their main attacking fulcrum, Giuly now at Barca. underestimate them at our peril.

Depor is another team which can potentially be difficult or otherwise. Difficult to predict the outcome now.

Liverpool must re-establish our passing game and press the opposition. We need this ability to be able to kill-off the game once we take a slim lead (if we play away) of a bigger lead. This is how the game is normally played in Europe. I believe alst that this is why Manure had had a better run than Arsenal because for all of their slick passing and attacking prowess, Arsenal are not sound enough in the defense or don't press their opponents enough. Their strikers struggle against tight man-to-man marking.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:26 am

I think it is a tough group but then what do you expect. Of the English clubs us and Chelsea have the hardest groups, Arsenal and Man U should walk their groups. Glad I'm not a Celtic fan by the way
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Shanti » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:39 am

My highest expectation is Luis Garcia and Alonso can adapt as quickly as possible before the important matches undertaken.
LOVE
SHANTI WULANSARI
Shanti

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:27 am

Arsenal should stroll thru their group . The Mancs have some potential bannana skins , Lyon aren't mugs and a trip to Turkey is never easy .
We are going to have a real battle on our hands with Monaco and Deportivo . Our opening game will be crucial.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Shanti » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:09 am

Exactly woof, Deportivo is very dangerous, Monaco has been on fire, while we are being in an unfinished article of rafalution, which is -to be honest, it worries me alot.
LOVE
SHANTI WULANSARI
Shanti

Postby azriahmad » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:19 am

Deportivo scored 4 goals past AC Milan - when was the last time you heard of that? But that result was also partly because Ancelloti played with 2 strikers and more attacking midfielders than he usually does after getting a thinly veiled warning from Berlusconi saying beforehand that "My AC Milan has to play entertaining football with attackers" before the Deportivo game.

At this level, all of the opposition has to be treated with respect, otherwise we'd be dumped on our @rse in double quick tiem - much like Heskey used to do!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:41 am

Monaco have lost Guily, Rothen, Prso and Morientes, and they were the stars for them last year, so I dont see any issues there. Beat them at home, draw away, 4pts.

Olympiakos are average, and I think we will beat them at their place no problem. Beat them away and home, 6pts.

Deportive are a good team, strong at the back and excellent going forward. We will struggle in the Mastella, and at Anfield. Lose away, draw at home, 1pt.

That puts us on 11points, so a good chance of topping that group.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion