Tiredness - I'm sick of this cr@p excuse

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:...I think this is an over reaction on what was essentially not too bad a result.

Drawing away to Spurs is not exactley a home defeat against a nely promoted team, so lets not be too negative hey ??

I think we all share the same optimism, especially coming from a good result in the mid-week and a good 1st half...but to be satisfied with sitting on a slim lead and be happy with a draw when we should be going for all 3 points is what screw us time and again under Houllier's regime.

Arsenal's mentality is what we need if we are aiming at replacing them at the top.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:51 pm

Its the first game and its crazy to expect a gelled team on the opening game of the season.

We are recovering from a bad couple of seasons and low confidence and Im sure the boss is aware of this and will aim to build the team confidence.

Arsenal werent always like they are now but Im convinced that Benitez will take us in the right direction but we wont always agree with his decisions and he's not God and will make mistakes
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zythums » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:53 pm

The team is learning about their manager (and his staff), as much as the manager learning about his team. Now Beni will begin to see the weak psyche of his players. He has seen how it is a 60-min team.

Look on the bright side. It takes time to build a team. So give Beni some time to build his team. Expection of him turning everything perfect immediately is unreasonable.

Put yourself into his shoes and you'll understand.

And about the "tiredness", come on, some of us are taking it too seriously!
zythums

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:01 pm

Yeah it's knackered me just reading about it, I think i should put in for a pay rise.
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:12 pm

Yeah brilliant.

The standard of posts on this thread is superb.

How stupid of me to not realise that making shed loads of money stops you being tired. How silly of me it is to think that training 5 times a week for 4 hours a day, eating a set diet, having extreme pressure on you and playing one or two premier league matches a week doesn't affect you physically or mentally.

Get real.

Lad, i go to the gym 4 times a week, i play football 2 times competatively a week and i feel physicall strain.

Do you actually realise how fit these players are? I'm naturally fit, as i said i do alot of excercise, i'd be VERY suprised if i could last 45 minutes in a premier league match. I've trained with Wrexham and Stockport on a couple of occassions and both times i've struggled with there sessions. Can you imagine how hard the top clubs in the world and europe would be?

The pace of the game is immense. It will seriously take it out of you no matter who you are. Then you have players like Campbell and Gerrard kicking the ****** out of you when you have aches and pains already.

But i forgot, money stops you being tired and getting paid that kind of money means you should be able to play with saw muscles etc.

Height of stupidity.
115-1073096938

Postby taff » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:20 pm

I have to agree with you

A few people have a go at the money side etc and it can be annoying especially if a player does not try but they are human. 

Watching a game live (although I dont want to get into that debate) does make you realise the pace of the game. If you took a Liverpool squad player and put him in a third division club you wouldnt neccesarily be able to point out the premiership player but if you took a third division player ok make it the best one at the club and put him straight into a premiership game for Liverpool then you would quickly see the player out of his depth.

Its using their skills at such a pace thats the main difference between the top players and the bottom ones

Its coming out now that the Liverpool camp was not a happy one and to be honest it showed last season as well so RB has to build the team spirit and that tiredness or at least that nervous energy will be negated the more they start to enjoy playing with each other
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:29 pm

When Liverpool won the league in 78/79 they only used around 14 players during the entire season.  I know they played less matches than today, but those were the days when players lived on a diet of beer and chips. Yet they still looked fresh at the end of the season.

We've played one league game and already the players are tired.....******!!!
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:48 pm

Sean, when you are training for a marathon... can you run the whole 24 miles in one go without stopping?

Answer... an emphatic NO.

You have to train and reach a fitness level. Thats whats happening at the moment. Spurs played 12 pre-season games, we played 5 (including a europian qualifier). Most of our players were lucky if they had 60 minutes in a game, baring in mind it wasn't competative. So no wonder they couldn't last the whole 90 in a competative match.

Also your arguement as to only using 14 players in those days is totally invalid. In those days the games were so much slower its unreal.

These players at the top level today are all athletes. I can do the 100 meters in about 12... 12 and a half seconds. I'm more athletic and alot fitter than most people... However, when it comes to football terms, i'm probably at the most the equivelant of a decent paced, average fitness third division player.

Players like Danny Murphy, John Terry, Sami Hyypia are all probably about the same speed (running wise) as me. Fitness and athletisism they'd all wipe the floor with me.
115-1073096938

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:02 pm

.....so why didn't we prepare properly so that we'd have been able to last 90 minutes and take 3 points on Saturday ?

Arsenal were flying yesterday.  Are we adopting the wrong training methods ?  Didn't we play enough pre-season games (half the number Spurs played) ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:03 pm

Arsenal was flying because Everton was terrible.

The only reason we tied because Houllier was there and we all know Houllier is bad luck.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:19 pm

I hope you are taking the ******?

Not even nearly funny.

Sean, 1 game into a new season, sold our best player, replaced our manager, brought in two new players, have a very thin squad at the moment and drew away at a side who are capable of finishing in the top 6 providing there best players stay fit.

Nothin to cry about. ****** happens.

We'll get better as the season wares on, i don't expect over night results. The first half was excellent, the second wasn't so good, Benitez acknowledged that and he will do his best to fix it.
115-1073096938

Postby XSD » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:28 pm

top 6? stu I think you are being a bit generous, Spurs are a joke, they will never get into the top half again. I don't think it was a bad result, our squad is very thin currently, hopefully this will be fixed before too long.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:48 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I hope you are taking the ******?

Not even nearly funny.

Sean, 1 game into a new season, sold our best player, replaced our manager, brought in two new players, have a very thin squad at the moment and drew away at a side who are capable of finishing in the top 6 providing there best players stay fit.

Nothin to cry about. ****** happens.

We'll get better as the season wares on, i don't expect over night results. The first half was excellent, the second wasn't so good, Benitez acknowledged that and he will do his best to fix it.

Wtf you want me to say? So we tied, even though in my opinion we should had whooped the Spurs because we do have a better team but we didn't. I am disapointed yes, but its time to move on to the next game. Hopefully Rafa realizes that this is not the La Liga this is the Premiership in where any team can win a game no matter who they are playing. Well Everton can't.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:08 pm

If Liverpool are satisfied with a draw against teams like Spurs, I reckon we're doomed to a season of mediocrity.  Until we have expectations and a desire to win every game we play (home and away) we're not going to compete with Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea.  Don't forget that Spurs sold one of their best players the week before the game and were without their first choice striker.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:12 pm

Sean wrote:If Liverpool are satisfied with a draw against teams like Spurs, I reckon we're doomed to a season of mediocrity.  Until we have expectations and a desire to win every game we play (home and away) we're not going to compete with Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea.  Don't forget that Spurs sold one of their best players the week before the game and were without their first choice striker.

Couldn't had said it better myself, though you can't always win games, draws happen.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion