TOULOUSE VS LIVERPOOL - build up/in game/ reaction

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 pm

My only worry is Crouch, I know we tend to read too much into body language etc but Crouch again didn't look a happy chappie at all today. He hardly won a header apart from for Voronin's goal, gave away too many free kicks, his passing was poor, and he seemed to be more interested in moaning to the ref than in playing football. He needs to step up a level if he's going to be more than a bit part player this season.
account deleted by request

Postby destro » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:37 pm

I don't really care how we win as long as we do, let the other teams be just like watching Brazil, a boring 1-0 win in every game will suit me fine, 17 years and waiting does it really matter how we win.

I get it all the time in work, you are boring, i cant stand watching when you play, you need penalties to win...SO WHAT !!!!
destro

Postby anti-hero » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:52 pm

A win's a win.

I'm happy. :)
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:12 pm

I agree with many that we were far from convincing today but with Chelsea coming to Anfield on Sunday and with the sun beating down I wasn't surprised to see us keep it in low gear, especially after the goal.  The style will come--the results are what matter at this stage of the season.

Saint, I agree with your earlier point about Mascherano: after Gerrard came off he found another gear and took over the midfield, setting the tempo.  He also got forward a few times while Gerrard was still on the pitch (and dropping back to sit).  Just as Alonso's defensive talents are sometimes underrated, I think Mascherano's attacking talents might get overshadowed a bit too much.  The lad has skills.

As for Crouchy, he did look a frustrated figure at times and I chalk a lot of that up to the shoddy treatment he invariably gets from European refs.  Yes, he needs to come to terms with that and move on, but I don't think it rattles him for more than a minute or two.   You're right, though, that he has to step up his performances: Voronin has shown that he's not prepared to be just a fourth-choice, cup tie striker and that should put the wind up the big lad's back.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby mungi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:20 am

masherano MOTM for sure this game. he is a gun.
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:18 am

Just watched the game, kin el I live in that kind of heat and walking in it is enough for me. So considering the conditions I think the lads did a pretty proffesional job.

We never needed to get out of second gear yesterday, and most of the players had a decent game. I thought on the whole Voronin and Crouch were starved of service, which was slightly dissapointing. I think if the service had been there the game as a spectacle would of been nicer to watch.

Babel showed a few glimpse's in the first half but faded out as the game went on, and Yossi never really got into the game. Again slightly dissapointing from a personal point of view from Yossi in particular.

I agreed with Dean (I cant commentate and talk about Hernia's) Saunders about big Sami, although he was very rarely tested the big Finn did everything asked of him and did it well, Sami slotted straight back into the back four without a fuss. Carra had is usual high expectated game and looked a rock, and both Finnan and Arbeloa looked good defensively.

I must say the more I see of Mascha the more or like him, I think he is a very quick little mobile tenacious Argie :D  I liked the way he'd sometimes bring the ball out from deep at pace, and try and start something in attack. Aswell as his defensive capabilities he seems a great option and a different one to Alonso to have in the team from time to time. Mascha and Gerrard paired well too, with one going up the other dropped, a big plus for Rafa there. I actually think that with his pace and fitness (Mascha) he is much more able and willing to support the midfield and players infront of him when the team attack. I think he helps out Gerrard more than Alonso does further up the field. But in saying that, with the pace and tempo of the game yesterday I think that kind of game would of suited Xabi down to a Tee. Where Alonso would of had more time on the ball and would of been able to dictate the game almost with his passing range. I think sometimes in the Prem Xabi can be closed down a lot quicker and he never finds the rythm in his game (when on the ball) to pull the strings like he likes to do, and dare I say I think Mascha is better suited to the Prem than his classy counter-part Alonso.

All that said and done though and like Red37 said, central midfield is the least of our worries and I think improvement in the way of time mostly is needed from our wider players, once Babel and Yossi settle in hopefully we'll become a much more creative and danderous team. I do have high hopes for the Israeli this season, I think he has the ability to spark something from Midfield. But with Yossi as seen yesterday he can become a periphial figure during a game.

All in all happy with the result, pleased with the performance a real team performance although the service to the strikers could of been a lot better, and it was unfortunate our wide men faded as the game went on.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby redtrader74 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 am

s@int wrote:My only worry is Crouch, I know we tend to read too much into body language etc but Crouch again didn't look a happy chappie at all today. He hardly won a header apart from for Voronin's goal, gave away too many free kicks, his passing was poor, and he seemed to be more interested in moaning to the ref than in playing football. He needs to step up a level if he's going to be more than a bit part player this season.

IMHO Crouch is physically not up to it. This was a big team, and he is very weak. I cannot believe that Rafa has not had him down the gym lifting weights since he's been here, he looks the same as when he came to us. He was fed some good balls by Voronin, but failed to return them and rather pass back to midfield.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby mungi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:48 am

i didnt mind crouchs game. if JT is out i would like to see him play agisnt the blues
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:39 am

mungi wrote:i didnt mind crouchs game. if JT is out i would like to see him play agisnt the blues

Why? is itbased on the fact that he did sod all yesterday, good choice!!!

People really need to take the rose tinted glasses off, Crouch is just not good enough and I don't care about the stats. The reason he gets the goals is because he stands on the goal line in the same way Linekar did and gets fed balls from harder working players.  That is not a particularly effective striker in this day and age and certainly not the striker Rafa wants.

Totally agree Crocuh needs to bulk up but doubt he will. I can see him being sold to be honest and I won't be too heart broken. For some one who winges about not playing I was expecting more from him yesterday. Voronin was the only striker who stepped up to the plate yesterday.
heimdall

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:12 pm

heimdall wrote:Crouch is just not good enough and I don't care about the stats.

I'd be fascinated to see what stats show Crouch is a good striker - his lopsided international total apart from where he's outclassed shy te opposition. His record was around 30 in 90 for Liverpool, he hasn't scored shedloads so 1 in 3 will be what it is

1-0 away seems like a good result but if they somehow score first it negates that advantage as away goals then become level with them able to score more.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm not Crouches biggest fans, but ba fair to the lad, his record in pretty good.  1 in 3 is a decent record.  Plus, I agree with Mungi.  Last year when he played against Chelsea he had a great game. 

I don't think its a case of rose tinted glasses.  Crouch is a decent player who does a decent job.  He is not and will never be a superstar, but he holds the ball up well, has a great first touch and scores his fair share of goals even when he was probably the most rotated player in the squad last year.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion