Ricky gervais - needs to be said

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:16 pm

Ok, so i was reading the last reply in the top 100 stand ups and someone said that Ricky should have been number 3...

Ricky Gervais is not a stand up comic, he is... well, im not the biggest fan.

the office was good, the first series anyway, but it was not a 'new thing'.
I could talk about America, curb your enthusiasm, anything by christopher guest and the other one i cant remember now... but they both pi$$ed all over the office.

But the office was just basically a copy of alan partridge and operation good guys. And the 2nd series of the office was awful. Cringeworthy.

Extras...sorry, just not funny. I always remember Ricky Gervais saying he would never sell out and go to hollywood as he could stay here...(night at the museum anyone?)

He has one character, which isnt all that good,

As for the recent 'stand up' work, politics and animals, they are both majorly scripted, not just by him either. ITs more a play or a science workshop than stand up.

So, Ricky isnt all that bad, but dont say hes a greatstand up. He is a good writer, an ok actor. that'll do yeah?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:28 pm

His podcasts are really good aswell though but the show should not really be called the ricky gervais show it should be the karl pilkington show :D

His standup Polotics was ok aswell.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:33 pm

yeah politics was 'ok' but was it anywhere near: leary, hicks, pryor, dee, skinner, kay... no. nowhere near!!!

sorry, in a ranting mood tonight
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:28 pm

I remember watching the 1st episode of the Office and to be honest I thought it was sh!te. I really dont think Ricky Gervais is funny at all. Everyone I know went on about how funny it was, so I decided to watch it again. But again I thought it was crap. For him to be anywhere in the list is just wrong.

Sorry to anyone who thinks hes good, but its just my option.
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:30 pm

i knew there were reasons i loved ya so much kaz  :love:  :buttrock  :wwww
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:38 pm

Thanks dawson!!! But he is a real pain in the bum. I really dont think hes funny.
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:17 am

As far as I am concerned, Ricky Gervaise is about as funny as my Hernia operations many moons ago.

Infact, they had me closer to laughing than that gimp.

The Office is slow, plodding sh*te with no f*cking point at all. The dance sketch is the only thing in it that actually made me laugh, and I laugh at many things.

Nope - if you find him funny, and fancy a REAL giggle - lift something heavy and your f*cking sides will split. Literally.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:20 am

He was funny in those five minute segments on "The Eleven O' Clock Show".

But that's it.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:41 am

kazza 1 wrote:I remember watching the 1st episode of the Office and to be honest I thought it was sh!te. I really dont think Ricky Gervais is funny at all. Everyone I know went on about how funny it was, so I decided to watch it again. But again I thought it was crap. For him to be anywhere in the list is just wrong.

Me and my missus just watched the first two episodes tonight and were bored stiff.  Totally over-rated as far as I can tell.  The one lad who took the p!ss out of Gareth all the time was amusing but Gervais's character was cringe-worthy (I know that's the point but it doesn't make me want to watch, TBH).  Not our cup of tea, I suppose.  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigxchris » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:02 pm

The podcasts were awesome, but more due to the comedy genius that is Steve Merchant and the dimness of Carl Pilkington Gervais just seemed to laugh on them more than anything.

If you liked those podcasts you should give the Adam and joe ones a go totally random and hilarious.
"Holy crip, he's a crapple"
bigxchris

Postby red37 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:15 pm

kazza 1 wrote:I remember watching the 1st episode of the Office and to be honest I thought it was sh!te. I really dont think Ricky Gervais is funny at all. Everyone I know went on about how funny it was, so I decided to watch it again. But again I thought it was crap. For him to be anywhere in the list is just wrong.

I wholeheartedly agree...the fella just is not funny. Neither to look at, listen to or 'tune' in to. Sorry, but the Krankies made me laugh more than this fella ever will.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I personally can't stand the fella. When the fuss was being made about the office I had a look and was bored rigid within 5 minutes. I saw one of his 'Stand-up' shows the other week and he just came across as being so up himself and he's his own biggest fan. Anything else I've seen him in, i.e.Night at the Museum just seems to be the same to what he was in the small clips of the office that I haven't fallen asleep through.

Most over rated Comedian EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR :D

Some of the stuff that goes on, on this place is funnier than his "COMEDY"!
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:09 pm

Well I laugh at him, and I laugh at everything.  Can't believe I'm the only person to disagree up to now on this thread with the general consenus.

I think he's hilarious and I think his humour is hilarious.  And besides, he's admitted he just basically ripped Christopher Guest off and got away with it.  My mate went to see his new stand-up show last week and was pissing himself when he was telling me at the thought of the experience he had when he watched him.

My favourite show at the moment is Peep Show.  I've seen them all before like but I've just watched the last three series again over the last couple of weeks.  Bruiser is out on DVD in July as well.
jonnymac1979

Postby taff » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:00 am

I saw his stand up last month and laughed my head off, thought he was great to be honest.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:29 am

Ricky Gervais is incredible.  I love the British Office and the American one. And I love extras too, I only wished I understood his brit pop culture references because I am sure I would laugh even more.  Painfully  Awkward = Funny.
JoeTerp

Next

Return to General Chat Forum