British tv at the moment

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:36 pm

CardinalRed wrote:Yeah Kash, I'll go with you on Life On Mars... Only thing was it ended strangely (as if the rest of it was normal eh?) John Simm and Philip Glenister were brilliant in it and it'll probably feature in those dull awards shows later in the year. They're filming the new series right now so at least one thing to look forward to. :nod

Any ideas when they'll start to show the new series?

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:41 pm

It'll be either in the Autumn or even the New Year.... That's when they wheel out their flagship shows.
One thing we haven't mentioned is that they never really put anything they've spent a lot of money on in the Summertime 'cause everyone's out on the lash and they wanna pull in the big bucks from the advertisers.
The BBC don't have the same agenda but they have governors they have to answer to. The sad fact is that these reality programmes get big chavvy audiences so they're gonna keep showing 'em. Personally I can't stand them!  :no
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:47 pm

CardinalRed wrote:It'll be either in the Autumn or even the New Year.... That's when they wheel out their flagship shows.
One thing we haven't mentioned is that they never really put anything they've spent a lot of money on in the Summertime 'cause everyone's out on the lash and they wanna pull in the big bucks from the advertisers.
The BBC don't have the same agenda but they have governors they have to answer to. The sad fact is that these reality programmes get big chavvy audiences so they're gonna keep showing 'em. Personally I can't stand them!  :no

Damm, to long to wait.

Regarding the reality TV shows Cardinal, I can't stand them either.  Complete and utter waste of space.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby shanks72 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:04 pm

dawson99 wrote:I personally always preffered cheers to OFAH,

I really liked Cheers, thought it was a real shame when they pulled the series just 'cause Ted Danson left. Thought there was enough talent there to carry on as surely one of the 'regulars' could've taken Sam's place as owner.

Although the good thing to come out of it was Frasier which I thought was brilliant at the start, but got a bit silly towards the end. Still loved it though.
Read in the paper that the little dog (real name Moose!) who played Eddie has just died. He was 16 and died of old age, but he made a valuable contribution to the show.

Also loved NYPD Blue and now CSI Miami which is class, I think. (Possibly helps that I like David Caruso), but they are still brilliant series.

Massive Corrie fan, love the humour in it.
Have managed to give up Eastenders now which I'm relieved about.
Also love Home and Away, dare I say it.  (Not least as there's a few tasy fellas in it!!)

:D
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:53 pm

whats getting me down is ITV, what a waste of space.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:22 am

I am an American and i HATE 24 and Lost.  It is just a crazy series of events that never really get anywhere and end in rediculous clif hangers EVERY week.  I have watched a lot of British TV on DVD lately and I LOVE it. I am not sure if MI-5 is still on, but I thought it was waaaaaay better than Alias, although when it first came out it was good and Jennifer Garner was sooooo hot.  The Office was HILARIOUS although some times it was actually painful to watch the things David Brent would say.  I thought Foyle's war was awseome and you cannot be an American college student without memorizing every episode of Ali G.  Some underrated American tv shows are Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Monk, Reno 911, The Wire, Rescue Me,  and Entourage (but that is really popular now).

Are there British versions of John Stewarts' The Daily Show or the Colbert Report?
JoeTerp

Postby anti-hero » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:16 am

shanks72 wrote:Read in the paper that the little dog (real name Moose!) who played Eddie has just died. He was 16 and died of old age, but he made a valuable contribution to the show.

No...  :down:

Eddie was the best sit-com dog EVER!

Dammit shanks!

Frasier comes on in about an hour or so and now it wont be as fun to watch anymore!  :angry:

I hope you're happy.

:D

-----

But in all seriousness.

Eddie.  :buttrock

Best dog on TV.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:31 am

Oh, teh daily show...jon stewart is an absolute genius.

We could never have anything like that as we cant get the political humour right apart from have i got news for you.

the daily show is one of the best things on tv at the moment!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:38 am

JoeTerp wrote:I am an American and i HATE 24 and Lost.  It is just a crazy series of events that never really get anywhere and end in rediculous clif hangers EVERY week.  I have watched a lot of British TV on DVD lately and I LOVE it. I am not sure if MI-5 is still on, but I thought it was waaaaaay better than Alias, although when it first came out it was good and Jennifer Garner was sooooo hot.  The Office was HILARIOUS although some times it was actually painful to watch the things David Brent would say.  I thought Foyle's war was awseome and you cannot be an American college student without memorizing every episode of Ali G.  Some underrated American tv shows are Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Monk, Reno 911, The Wire, Rescue Me,  and Entourage (but that is really popular now).

Are there British versions of John Stewarts' The Daily Show or the Colbert Report?

Monk.  :D

Forgot about that one..

Tony Sha-loooooooooooooooooooob.  :D

Smart and quirky. Loved it.

What I dont get is why you Brits hate your shows so much?

I mean, come on.. Ali G could keep me occupied for days! I actually prefer British sitcoms to American sitcoms, sans Friends; Becker; Frasier and That 70s Show but in my opinion, British TV shows are pretty decent and can hold their own when it comes to humor.

Over here its just the same old shtick, I get tired of it so fast.

I've seen Fawlty Towes, (they show it here on my local PBS, I dont have cable you see, and babu was so right when he said local television sucks ass.) Blackadder, and another sit-com, "Please mind my English" or something like that.

Hurt my ribs watching.

Although, there is one thing that the British have totally lost out.

The animated cartoon genre.

Oh yeah..

Thats US all the way baby..  :D

What happened to you guys??

You guys had that brilliant guy from Art Attack

but I've yet to see one British cartoon!  :D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:16 am

Family guy takes a lot of shots at the Brittish. Like when the Clam went under and it was turned into an English Pub, and they thought it was a gay bar. :laugh: "The only thing I know about the British is that they call cigarettes fags." Peter - "Well there sure seem to be a lot of cigarettes in this bar."
JoeTerp

Postby babu » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:44 am

Best series IMO is 'House MD'

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:30 am

I don't watch much TV but I always try to catch HOUSE and Monk
Sharona, Monks first assistant also starred in "A league of their own" (she was the one with the irritating kid)
Natalie, Monks new assistant was the wife in Me,Myself,and Irene
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Sport aside I can't think of a single british programme that I make a point of watching apart from Friday Night with Jonathan Ross .American tv may produce a lot of dross but when it's good it's brilliant. This year alone I've been following .

The Shield
Lost
Deadwood
Boston Legal
Rescue Me

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:06 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Sport aside I can't think of a single british programme that I make a point of watching apart from Friday Night with Jonathan Ross .American tv may produce a lot of dross but when it's good it's brilliant. This year alone I've been following .

The Shield
Lost
Deadwood
Boston Legal
Rescue Me

Woof, Dr Who was excellent. The shows writers IMO were very good.  :)

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:38 pm

One thing that really lets down british drama's and soaps are some of the ridiculous things you are expected to believe. I used to watch Emmerdale about 8-10 years ago but that just went totally stupid with planes dropping out of the sky, buses careering out of control and crashing and killing loads of people, characters driving off of cliffs, one woman being widowed about 8 million times - it became fooking stupid that all of this could happen in one village with about 50 people living there. We also only have series that last about 6 weeks which makes it very hard for viewers to get into before it finishes. The US approach of having a season of about 24 weeks seems better if you can have the material which would mean the british makers should also go for the team of writers approach instead of the current 2 or 3 that they seem to use.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum