Rafa benitez... genius? - Is rafa as good as we think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:56 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:Rafa Benitez is no Paisley or Shanks. Shanks went to Scotland to bring Yeats and St John 2 of better players throughout the 60s. And Bob went to Chester and to Celtic to buy our greatest forwards and cost him less than 1 million. Not like Rafa who goes and spends over 12 million for Garcia and Morientes, what a joke.

FFS! :angry:

First of all, why no mention of Alonso or Reina or Sissoko when discussing Rafa's transfer record compared to Shankley's or Paisley's?  Let's be fair about this!

Second, were it not for Luis Garcia we would not have won a 5th European Cup in May '05 and we may not have won the FA Cup in May '06.  Irritating he may be at times but he has been a huge part of our not insignificant success in the last two years!

And don't get me started about transfer fees in Paisley's day vs today...apples and feckin' oranges!  :no

Ok Reina, Xabi and Momo. 3.

Souness, Barney Rubble (Alan Kennedy to you non Liverpool fans), Jocky Hansen (Alan), Lawro (Mark Lawrenson), Original Zico (Phil Neal), Ray Kennedy, Terry Mc and our clown between the sticks (Bruce G.)

I can count on one finger Bob's bad signing. Actually I'm struggling to find one.

Where as Rafa has made countless bad buys. Zenden, Kromkamp, Garcia (despite his goals) Morientes, Nunez, Pelligrino, Josemi, and Barragan. I have now ran out of fingers and am left with 2 thumbs.

Alright lad, time to put your Dad's classic Liverpool DVDs away and start paying attention to the current side.  Who knows...if you watch them play you might actually appreciate what the likes of Garcia, Zenden or Kewell bring to the side?  ???

Explain to me when is Zenden going to play this year.
Explain to me when was Kewell going to play last year had it not been for Zenden's injury.
Explain to me other than goals what does Garcia bring to the side.

And BTW Bob i don't need my dad's DVDs to know about my club's past. I was brought up to know without books unlike you who seems to need a book just to say Hello.

You must be thicker than the HArd-Back version of the Complete Works of Catherine Cookson.

It's called having a SQUAD, you penis.

If you genuinely believe you can compare the squads now and then, ou're a nob-jockey of the highest order.

I suppose you'd have the team getting p*ssed every night, too?

Time for bed, son.  :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:59 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:Rafa Benitez is no Paisley or Shanks. Shanks went to Scotland to bring Yeats and St John 2 of better players throughout the 60s. And Bob went to Chester and to Celtic to buy our greatest forwards and cost him less than 1 million. Not like Rafa who goes and spends over 12 million for Garcia and Morientes, what a joke.

First of all, why no mention of Alonso or Reina or Sissoko when discussing Rafa's transfer record compared to Shankley's or Paisley's?  Let's be fair about this!

Second, were it not for Luis Garcia we would not have won a 5th European Cup in May '05 and we may not have won the FA Cup in May '06.  Irritating he may be at times but he has been a huge part of our not insignificant success in the last two years!

And don't get me started about transfer fees in Paisley's day vs today...apples and feckin' oranges!  :no

Souness, Barney Rubble (Alan Kennedy to you non Liverpool fans), Jocky Hansen (Alan), Lawro (Mark Lawrenson), Original Zico (Phil Neal), Ray Kennedy, Terry Mc and our clown between the sticks (Bruce G.)

I can count on one finger Bob's bad signing. Actually I'm struggling to find one.

Where as Rafa has made countless bad buys. Zenden, Kromkamp, Garcia (despite his goals) Morientes, Nunez, Pelligrino, Josemi, and Barragan. I have now ran out of fingers and am left with 2 thumbs.

Alright lad, time to put your Dad's classic Liverpool DVDs away and start paying attention to the current side.  Who knows...if you watch them play you might actually appreciate what the likes of Garcia, Zenden or Kewell bring to the side?  ???

Explain to me when was Kewell going to play last year had it not been for Zenden's injury.

And BTW Bob i don't need my dad's DVDs to know about my club's past. I was brought up to know without books unlike you who seems to need a book just to say Hello.

MANNNNNN !
ur sumthing billy !
Your soccer knowledge is average at best, and the way you talk about some of the players in the club i find FUNNEEEE'

1. Zenden will play alot whether you like it or not cuz we have no other CM in the club besides him as backup for Xabi/Sissoko. So you just need to let it go and hope Zenden has a freaggin good season like the one he had with middles. when he was played mostly in CM.

2. Says who Kewell wasnt going to play last season if it wasnt for Zenden's injury ?! Kewell, just so u'd know was at a point in time one of the best LMs in the league ! If it comes down to Zenden or Kewell, anyone with half a brain would pick Kewell granted he was at his best condition. + Kewell did well for us last season, and you (said earlier that you dont watch "foreign footy") can never tell if gonzales is gonna make it or not ! Except, im kinda with you on one thing...if gonzales shines and can command that Left Wing position and make it his, i wouldnt mind kewell leaving in January.

3. I dont even know why i have to say this ! Seems so obvious ! Garcia is a player who can win you games ! Besides Gerrard and... maybe now that we'v signed him...bellamy... i dont see any other players in the club that can do so ! He is brilliant and can score! Too bad he was played out of position last season but can not understand how you want us to get rid of him after he scored so many goals (vital ones too) !      I tell you one thing...if we play garcia as a second striker and pair him with a good striker and gerrard from th back and he fails to perform THEN you can b!tch all you want about how crappy a player he is !

MANNNNNNNNN....u'll be wanting gerrard out next eh ?! ???
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Billy_5_Times » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:06 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

You must be thicker than the HArd-Back version of the Complete Works of Catherine Cookson.

If you genuinely believe you can compare the squads now and then, ou're a nob-jockey of the highest order.

I don't see why not. Getting :censored: helped them win numerous league titles and european cups and who knows, a few jars may help Garica pass the ball to a teammate.

A squad maybe but everyone thinks that Zenden, Kewell and Garcia should be in our team. Let's see if they would get into the other big sides.

Chelsea:
Zenden or Makelele and Lampard. Chelsea don't want him, that's why they let him go, before Jose arrived.
Kewell or Robben. Robben is quick and consistant. A cheat yes but still better than Kewell.
Garcia or Joe Cole. I'd rather have Joey Cole anyday.

Arsenal:
Zenden or Cesc and Gilberto. Now no matter how bad Gilberto is he wouldn't be in trouble with the arrival of Zenden.
Kewell or Rosicky. Rosicky looked brilliant in the world cup. Kewell looked good but Rosicky gets my vote.
Garcia or Ljungberg. After Ljungberg's season last year I'd go for Luis. So that's finally 1 for the reds side.

Utd:
Zenden or Carrick and Scholes. The English boys win my vote.
Kewell or Giggs. Giggs is still one of the best left wingers in the league and better than Harry.
Garcia or Rooney, since a lot of you want him as the second stiker. Rooney all the way. Or if you want Luis out on the right against Ronaldo, I'd go for a tie. Both aare frustrating with little more than goals. Ronaldo has that more pae.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:10 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

I don't see why not. Getting :censored: helped them win numerous league titles and european cups and who knows, a few jars may help Garica pass the ball to a teammate.

A squad maybe but everyone thinks that Zenden, Kewell and Garcia should be in our team. Let's see if they would get into the other big sides.

Chelsea:
Zenden or Makelele and Lampard. Chelsea don't want him, that's why they let him go, before Jose arrived.
Kewell or Robben. Robben is quick and consistant. A cheat yes but still better than Kewell.

Arsenal:
Zenden or Cesc and Gilberto. Now no matter how bad Gilberto is he wouldn't be in trouble with the arrival of Zenden.
Kewell or Rosicky. Rosicky looked brilliant in the world cup. Kewell looked good but Rosicky gets my vote.
Garcia or Ljungberg. After Ljungberg's season last year I'd go for Luis. So that's finally 1 for the reds side.

Utd:
Kewell or Giggs. Giggs is still one of the best left wingers in the league and better than Harry.
Garcia or Rooney, since a lot of you want him as the second stiker. Rooney all the way. Or if you want Luis out on the right against Ronaldo, I'd go for a tie. Both aare frustrating with little more than goals. Ronaldo has that more pae.

You f*cking prat.

WOuld Glen Johnson get in our starting line-up? How about Geremi, Ferrera and Carvalho?

Stop talking sh*t you retarded punk.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Billy_5_Times » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:13 am

aCe' wrote:I dont even know why i have to say this ! Seems so obvious ! Garcia is a player who can win you games ! Besides Gerrard and... maybe now that we'v signed him...bellamy... i dont see any other players in the club that can do so ! He is brilliant and can score! Too bad he was played out of position last season but can not understand how you want us to get rid of him after he scored so many goals (vital ones too) !      I tell you one thing...if we play garcia as a second striker and pair him with a good striker and gerrard from th back and he fails to perform THEN you can b!tch all you want about how crappy a player he is !

MANNNNNNNNN....u'll be wanting gerrard out next eh ?! ???

Let's compare like I did in my earlier post.

Garcia as a second striker.
Rooney scores more, is quicker, stronger, assists more and is more skillful.
Chelsea don't really play a striker who drops off so I won't use them.
Arsenal's used to be Berghamp. He was more talented. Scored more when he was the same age and was stronger. Neither of them have pace.
Robbie Keane does the same for Spurs and he scores more. He is stronger and a little quicker. Probably not as skillful.
Dean Ashton is my tip as a new signing either before the season or in January. He will score more. Good in the air but so is Garica esepcially for his height. Ashton is stronger and all round better.

But if you people still persist with Luis as the saviour then fair enough. We will just disagree and I believe I will be proved right before May 07.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby Billy_5_Times » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:16 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Chelsea:

Arsenal:

Utd:

You f*cking prat.

WOuld Glen Johnson get in our starting line-up? How about Geremi, Ferrera and Carvalho?

No they wouldn't get into our teams but I'm happy with our defence. The players I don't want are Kewell, Zenden and Garica and the other top 4 clubs have players who are better than them. Some maybe not into our starting 11 but certainly great squad players which you constantly claim these 3 to be.
Billy_5_Times

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:28 am

Shanks took liverpool from nothing to one of the top 2 or three sides in England
Bob took us from being one of the top 2 or 3 sides in England to being the top side in England and probably Europe.
Rafa won the European cup His FIRST SEASON and with some very poor and inexperienced players as regulars.
I think we can justifyably be very happy with our past and confidently look forward to our future.

BTW Bob Paisley bought Frank McGarvey for £325,000 who never played a game for us before being sold off . Good managers buy bad players. Its great managers that realise their mistake, arnt too proud to admit it ,and get shut.

StJohn would have been a star in ANY Liverpool team.
account deleted by request

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:35 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Chelsea:

Arsenal:

Utd:

Yet again... another poor post !
If there was a record im sure by now u'd have smashed it ! congrats !

What part of SQUAD player dont you get ?

You wanna compare....ill show you how to compare squad players...

CHELSEA:
Zenden:  for CM ...i agree...now that they'v signed ballack...they have way too many CM players and wouldnt even find a spot for XabiAlonso so....Zenden is a no need for them
Kewell: now that Duff is out, who will they have as a second choice if robben is injured..given Cole is playing in his RW position! so...yea...kewell would be a good addition to the chelsea squad !
Garcia.... Chelsea dont have any players who can play as second striker simply because they dont play second strikers...if Maur. ever wants to...he cant...so...garcia would give chelsea new options if he goes...just like he does us !

ARSENAL:
Zenden: they need him imo...he's fast and can take the ball from one side of the field to the other like no other player in their squad can....he'd make brilliant cover for cesc or rosicky if they play 3CenterMidfielders since they seem to have no backup
Kewell: Reyes is on his way out but if he doesnt leave...arsenal are well covered in the wings despite pires leaving...rosicky is not a winger...  :p
Garcia...Would be brilliant for Arsenal if you ask me... now that bergkamp is out they dont have anyone to play as second striker to Henry except VanPersie (Adebayour isnt as good as second striker) So.....again if reyes leaves...Garcia would definetely feature much for arsenal

MANUTD:
Zenden: Fletcher...emmm....thas it...they need squad players.. he would make it to their squad !
Kewell... him or Park....hard one but since i'v always said that manutd are the best team in england that plays in the sides ill say they wouldnt need him
Garcia... Rooney is injured...who comes in...?! if they wanna keep playing second striker and a ST they need to find a good striker to replace VanNistelrooy....oops...sorry...out of bounds!

Just so u'd know...Robben is the best left winger in the world today and.... C.Ronaldo ties with Garcia for right wing ?!?!?!?!
was gonna say that C.Ronaldo is probably one of the best right wings in the world if not the best but since he ties with Garcia im guessing im wrong ?! too bad...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:44 am

i see where ur going with all the comparisons billy !
Ur picking players that ur not sure would feature much in our squad next season and comparing them with the best players in the respected positions in the other top clubs in the country....REAL SMARTTTT !!!!!!
If we had squad players who were better than chelsea,arsenal, and man utd's first team players we would have won the league, the cup, the fa, the champions leaue, the super cup and even the fckin spanish league for all that matters !!!!! comme  onnnnnn !!!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:49 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Chelsea:

Arsenal:

Utd:

You f*cking prat.

No they wouldn't get into our teams but I'm happy with our defence. The players I don't want are Kewell, Zenden and Garica and the other top 4 clubs have players who are better than them. Some maybe not into our starting 11 but certainly great squad players which you constantly claim these 3 to be.

So let's get this straight:

You believe that Zenden, a past Barca and Sh*tski player isn't good enough, even though it's patently obvious to anyone with any semblance of footballing knowledge that he is. He isn't 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice in CM, but you maintain he isn't even good enough for 4th choice. OK then. A bit strange at best, that one. F*cking loony.

Kewell isn't good enough, either, despite running your special lovers at Sh*tski ragged in the FA Cup semi. Injuries aside, he'd be one of the best left wingers in the World. WITH injuries, he can still do a job as 2nd choice, but not in your eyes. Right. Sensible.  ???

Garcia. One of the most exciting players in England, with an eye for goal and he is definately a "big-game" player.
Scored more than anyone else in the champions' league, and joint-top scorer in all competitions in the team in his first season at Anfield.
Scores wonder goals, unlocks defences, and offers the element of the unknown - something all good teams want.

But to Billy the Kidd-buggerer, he's not worth a sh*t because he concedes possession now and again. So, Willy - how many times has Garcia been directly at fault for us conceding a goal?

You nubchucker.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:08 am

Billy is interesting. His views are quite different from the majority here, so it forces you to view from another perspective. Unfortunatly he spouts so much drivel that some of his more interesting views are hidden in a mountain of dog turd.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:22 am

Genius or not he has made us lift trophies in a row which we lacked previously. He has done things.That what counts.

For all we know Liverpool fans are so much happier now with Rafa. We like him. With limited money to spend and big stars to manage, its an ardous task at Liverpool. The players like to play under him. They like his tactics. The team is moving stronger and heading a correct direction.

You dont need a poll to decide whether he is a genius or not. Rafa has shown results. "Res ipsa loquitor". The fact speaks for itself.
hobbes

Postby anti-hero » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:55 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:Explain to me other than goals what does Garcia bring to the side.

Magic. :p

Garcia is not consistent, I'll give you that.

But he is in my opinion, an excellent example of a Supersub. :D

Imagine the dying minutes of a game. ONE substitution remaining. Of all the faces on the current Liverpool bench, Garcia would be the one I would pick. You, of all people, a Liverpool fan should know that he has the special ability to score important goals from nothing. He's not popular amongst us fans for nothing you know?

When Luis comes on, you never know what to expect. Thankfully for us he saves his very best for the biggest of matches.

Besides, he IS a striker, what else would you want a striker to do??

He's an enigma.  :D  I'll give you that too.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:52 am

i wouldn't swap luis for any player in the world at the same class (or price) with him
he gives us a different type of attacking and gives us goals (with a not bad stats) from angles where the others wouldn't explore. he doesn't convert sitters to goals, only impossible ones. but what's so bad about that, give the easier ones to alikes of carra or sissoko.
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby Anfield Kop » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:07 am

Luis is the link between midfield and attack and is essential for the club.
" You'll Never Walk Alone "
Anfield Kop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion