The managers - The man in charge

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby gaz31 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:05 am

SS I AS I TOLD TOU WHEN I EMAILED YOU I USED TO GO ALL OVER WATCHING LFC BUT THEN MY MISSUS TURNED UP AND THEN MY LITTLE GIRL AND THEN MY TICKETS GOT FEWER AND FEWER TILL NOW I AM VERTUALLY AN ARMCHAIR FAN BUT I DO HOPE SOMEONE ON THIS SITE CAN GET ME A TICKET TO WATCH A GAME  THIS SEASON SO I CAN ONCE AGAIN VISIT THE PLACE WHERE MY HEART LIES COS THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN WALKING THROUGH THOSE GOLDEN GATES " RAIN OR SHINE SLEET OR SNOW HOT OR COLD WE MUST BE BOLD!!!!!!!!" :D  :D
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:12 am

gaz I was fortunate to spend my teens,twenties and early thirties following Liverpool home & away,without the interference of a ball and chain.Hey! I'm in my forties now,I've just this second made the baby's bottles for tomorrow.The wife & 3 kiddies are fast asleep and I'll be locking up in a minute and heading that way myself.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby gaz31 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:20 am

MY MISSUS IS SOUNDO AS WELL , USUALLY GO'S TO BED ABOUT 10pm AS U KNOW I STAY UP QUITE LATE BUT IM OFF TO BED NOW COS IM GOING TO SCOTLAND IN THE MORNING TO DELIVER A CARAVAN , I WILL PROBABLY STOP OFF AT ANFIELD ON THE WAY BACK THOUGH JUST TO AVE A LOOK AS I HAV'NT BEEN THERE FOR A WHILE. :)
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:22 am

sounds like a great trip.speak tomorrow
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:46 pm

Roy Evans took charge in January 1994 after the dismissal of Graeme Souness.For the remainder of that season he bided his time but during the 1994-1995 season Evans made changes and his side began to take shape.Multi-million pound signings Phil Babb and John Scales proved inspired and by the end of the season Evans had won his first trophy as a manager,when Liverpool lifted the Coca-Cola Cup.Thoughtful and unassuming,Evans was highly regarded at Anfield and played an important part in Liverpool's many successes over the years.Unfortunately further success as a manager did not come his way,despite substantial sums paid out in the transfer market.In 1996 he led Liverpool to an FA Cup final appearance against Manchester United,but apart from that and the Coca-Cola Cup win he had little to show for all his efforts.In the summer of 1998,Frenchman Gerard Houllier was brought in as joint manager but it was an unsatisfactory arrangement.By any other club's standardEvans would have had a job for life but at Liverpool there was an expectation of championships and cups.With pressure mounting and the partnership with Houllier clearly not working,Evans resigned as manager in November 1998.He had only one trophy,after all his endeavours,but would always be fondly remembered for the many years of service he gave to the club.
..............................to be continued...........................
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:49 pm

Gerard Houllier was appointed joint manager of Liverpool inJuly 1998 to work alongside Roy Evans.Houllier had previously been the technical director of French football but with the French victory in the 1998 World Cup he decided to relinquish the post.GH had never played professional football but became a Liverpool fan in the 1960's whilst teaching in the city.He had coaching jobs at Lens and Paris St.Germain before becoming coach of the national side.
     The partnership with Roy Evans,however, never really worked and when Evans resigned in November 1998,Houllier was appointed sole manager.He began his reign quietly,allowing each player the chance to demonstrate his claim to a place.But at the end of a frustrating season the guillotine fell as Houllier initiated the biggest turnover in staff since the early days of Bill Shankly.Captain Paul Ince,David James,Jason McAteer and Oyvind Leonhardsen,among others,were all shown the door while £23 millionworth of foreign imports moved in to take their places.He was not afraid toback his own judgement,spending £11 million on Emile Heskey when others were sceptical.In the end he was proved right,to a degree,when Heskey became an international and Liverpool went on to win three cups by the end of the 2000-2001 season.
    Season 2001-2002 saw liverpool finish runners-up to Arsenal and qualify for the champions league and the following season another victory over Manchester United in the league cup was achieved.Failure to qualify for the champions league has put a little bit of pressure on Gerard Houllier to deliver concrete evidence this season,that Liverpool will be back amongst the leading contenders when the league title is decided in May 2004.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby oldredeyes » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:32 pm

Nice one Supersub, I've just been reading all your posts on the managers going back to June. Great detail and a fantastic personal account of the most important years in the history of LFC. keep it up mate, nice to see your passion for our team and it's history.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:10 am

A salute for superbly supersub. I  await for your next issue...
hobbes

Postby radun5 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:53 pm

I only hope the next post will be about a new great manager who has brought the balance needed at the club and won the Premiership (and the European CL). So sorry it is just a dream!
radun5

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:21 pm

A good review, well written and split into suitable readable chunks. I would like to make one observation - some people would dispute that Souness was sacked, "Liverpool don't sack managers" is something I've heard a fair bit in recent months but "by mutual agreement" pretty much means they were going one way or another

Good job my son :cool:
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:57 am

It would be no surprise if the final installment of Gerard Houllier's reign at Liverpool finished with dreaded words "by mutual agreement" as he packs his bags and heads for a coaching job in the middle-east.Then again he could be handed a "Director of football" role and sit in the stands next to David Moores.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:52 pm

Can I suggest some special place in the forums for this and for a history of LFC and other such informational threads. New members may not know the history of Liverpool FC and well written pieces like this thread contains would be worthy of a permanent place :cool:
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:38 pm

That's not a bad suggestion.Over the last year there has been many threads and stories posted that have fallen by the wayside,if I get chance I'll trawl the forum and maybe ressurect a few stories of interest.
Last edited by supersub on Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:36 pm

Supersub, thanks for the enlightening historical story of the past and present Liverpool managers. I have been a fan since 1976 under the Paisley era and will continue to be one even though I go through real aggro watching the live games on TV every time because the present lot play really cr@p when compared to the past eras of Paisley and Fagan. Dalglish, as you rightfully said, introduced flair into Liverpool's game as never seen before. During the end of Dalglish's reign and the entire Souness era, I was a student in England and it wan an appalling time for a true blue fan. BTW, I live in Malaysia and still follow Liverpool as I consider myself a die hard fan! Evans tried to play attractively with a passing game as a basis but the core to his team was not as committed or as good to challenge Man U. During the present Houllier era, Liverpool play with so much caution and inconsistencies that it is painful to watch....
Anyway, thanks for the good stories!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat May 29, 2004 11:52 pm

And so it came to pass that Gerard Houllier's reign at Anfield was terminated on the 24th May 2004.
supersub
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion