Contenders for the manager post - 5 contenders as stated in a daily

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Tue May 25, 2004 2:26 am

Here is something interesting on the possible contenders that I have come across this morning:

Kenny Dalglish
Still revered on Merseyside as the club's greatest ever player and equally successful manager, but has he lost his touch? After moving "upstairs" at Balckburn, he has failed at Newcastle and then as Director of Football at Celtic. Since then, he has kept a low profile, playing lots of golf. Says: "I've had no contact with Liverpool but I would help them if they asked me."

Jose Mourinho
Supposedly the coming man at Chelsea, but said "I'd rather manage Liverpool" when pressed. The Porto boss is young, dynamic, a winner and speaks excellent English, but is a rookie in British Football. Talks with Chelsea are believed to have stalled as, like O'Neill, Maurinho likes to be his own boss.

Alan Crubishley
Has performed miracles at Charlton and deserves a bigger stage. AS a Londoner, Spurs may be more his cup of tea, but is a smart operator and known his way around the Premiership. Universally respected by players and officials as a shrewd judge of a player. No Euro experience is his only drawback. Has a get-out clause in new Charlton contract and is believed to be favoured by Steven Gerrard.

Rafael Benitez
Has had the midas touch at Valencia, winning the Spanish league and the UEFA Cup this season on a low budget. Highly rated by Liverpool since he masterminded their defeat in Europe a couple of years ago. Lack of English is main drawback but is said to be favoured by Michael Owen who said Valencia were "the best-organised team I've ever played against."

Martin O'Neill
The outstanding candidate but may not even be on the list. Has a reputation for being a dictator and for producing "pragmatic" teams - which is why there has not been a rush for his services despite his record. A Brian Clough disciple, he has succeeded whereever he has gone - even turning Leicester into a decent team - and has done it on a low budget. Strict disciplinarian and arguably the best British manager of his generation.

There was no mention of Gordon Strachan... I hear Curbishley is favourite. Perhaps this is due to the view to win the Premiership as a higher priority and then try to make a big impact in Europe later.

Any comments?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue May 25, 2004 2:29 am

i want Mourinho, the job he has done at Porto is amazing, and thats what LFc needs, someone who can take us back to the top, like he has done with Porto.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 25, 2004 2:30 am

got the Malaysia Sun on the way to work this morning did u azriahmad
112-1077774096

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 25, 2004 2:34 am

I've been saying for ages Alan Curbishley and you lot laughed me out of here !!!!

Don;'t talk to me about not having had experience of a "big" club , neither did Kenny, Paisly, Shankly etc.....

AC would be ideal for LFC, his handling of Di Cannio this season after Di Cannio's Soap Opera season with West ham was a masterclass of man management AND Di cannio didn't play every game before you think he just gave in to Paulo.

His transfer of Scott Parker ( A palyer he nurtured himself) and getting £10 Million PLUS An excellent prospect Carlton Cole as well was superb financial maangement

He has taken Charlton to within a whisker of European Football next season and on a  shoestring budjet which is a fraction of what teams like LFC, Spurs, Boro, Blacburn, Villa and others have spent.

He;s done the DOUBLE over Liverpool this season.

He's superb with the media and has the respect of almost everyone in football.

Finally we already have a MILAN why not an AC ?
:D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue May 25, 2004 2:37 am

Curbishley, yes a definite prospect. But if mourinho opts out of chelsea i think the board should do everything in thier power to get him.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 25, 2004 2:45 am

Dalglish, Tarby was just on the phone, you owe him a tenner for that joke at the end  :D
112-1077774096

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 25, 2004 2:47 am

Thanks mate (peewee) , I try my best in these difficult days :;):
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue May 25, 2004 2:50 am

I still cant see past MON. He has Liverpool legend stamped all over him.This club at this point is perfect for O`Neill,and O`Neill is perfect for the club.He is a Shankly or a Clough,his players adore him despite the fact he runs them into the ground.His Celtic team play controlled aggresive football that is perfect for the players at his disposal.They are not long ball,people who say that dont watch them.The fact that he is trying to attract Rivaldo proves he is willing to mix it a bit.At Liverpool he would have the money to buy a couple of flair players.At Celtic his transfer budget is almost zero yet he still uncovers quality from the youth team(Aiden Mcready and Liam Miller are quality) and free transfers.The bloke talks football with a passion,you can see it in his face.Ive never been so sure of anything in my life,Martin O`Neill is the right man for our club.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redspirit » Tue May 25, 2004 3:18 am

Dalglish wrote:Don;'t talk to me about not having had experience of a "big" club , neither did Kenny, Paisly, Shankly etc.....

You have a great point there.
redspirit

Postby azriahmad » Tue May 25, 2004 3:44 am

peewee, R U residing in Malaysia as well? I know a lot of utterly frustrated Liverpool fans in Malaysia. Liverpool fans are quite unique (mostly), they admire quality football, like that played by Arsenal, but lothe anything to do with Manure and would support any team playing against Manure.

Who is your choice then, peewee?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby atif » Tue May 25, 2004 3:53 am

azriahmad wrote:Here is something interesting on the possible contenders that I have come across this morning:

Kenny Dalglish
Still revered on Merseyside as the club's greatest ever player and equally successful manager, but has he lost his touch? After moving "upstairs" at Balckburn, he has failed at Newcastle and then as Director of Football at Celtic. Since then, he has kept a low profile, playing lots of golf. Says: "I've had no contact with Liverpool but I would help them if they asked me."

Jose Mourinho
Supposedly the coming man at Chelsea, but said "I'd rather manage Liverpool" when pressed. The Porto boss is young, dynamic, a winner and speaks excellent English, but is a rookie in British Football. Talks with Chelsea are believed to have stalled as, like O'Neill, Maurinho likes to be his own boss.

Alan Crubishley
Has performed miracles at Charlton and deserves a bigger stage. AS a Londoner, Spurs may be more his cup of tea, but is a smart operator and known his way around the Premiership. Universally respected by players and officials as a shrewd judge of a player. No Euro experience is his only drawback. Has a get-out clause in new Charlton contract and is believed to be favoured by Steven Gerrard.

Rafael Benitez
Has had the midas touch at Valencia, winning the Spanish league and the UEFA Cup this season on a low budget. Highly rated by Liverpool since he masterminded their defeat in Europe a couple of years ago. Lack of English is main drawback but is said to be favoured by Michael Owen who said Valencia were "the best-organised team I've ever played against."

Martin O'Neill
The outstanding candidate but may not even be on the list. Has a reputation for being a dictator and for producing "pragmatic" teams - which is why there has not been a rush for his services despite his record. A Brian Clough disciple, he has succeeded whereever he has gone - even turning Leicester into a decent team - and has done it on a low budget. Strict disciplinarian and arguably the best British manager of his generation.

There was no mention of Gordon Strachan... I hear Curbishley is favourite. Perhaps this is due to the view to win the Premiership as a higher priority and then try to make a big impact in Europe later.

Any comments?

they must look for aeuopean vision manager
atif

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 25, 2004 3:56 am

i come from liverpool but i now live in kuala lumpur azriahmad. I dont know who will take over, i have no say in the matter. i just hope who takes over has the balls to put us back to where we were we want to be. I wont say back where we belong because we have no right to success
112-1077774096

Postby azriahmad » Tue May 25, 2004 4:05 am

How do U like KL?

I have been to Liverpool once, in 1992, travelling from London. I boarded a bus and asked the driver where to stop to go to my destination as I was not familliar with the place. He said that "don't worry lad, I will call on you when we reach your stop." Soon afterwards, the bus stopped, the driver and all of the elder passengers turned towards the rear (where I was seated) and said, "this is your stop, young man."

What a freindly lot...very nice memory of a very friendly people.

I suppose that explains why the local Liverpool supporters are a patient lot and have put up with so much cr@p from Houllier without doing any kind of demo or picketing. Houllier can't go and complain that the fans drove him out because if he were at manure or Real or Barca, he would have only lasted 3 years max instead of the 6 that he eventually got.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 25, 2004 4:07 am

kl is ok mate, a bit hot and sweaty but been here for 2 years now so im used to it.

Liverpool is a fantastic city that has an aura about it, i love to go back and see family and friends there
112-1077774096

Postby azriahmad » Tue May 25, 2004 4:33 am

peewee, do you work in KL? I'd love to catch up with a Liverpudlian, I miss alll of my British friends.

U can email me at azriahmad@mail.com, if you want to chat outside of this forum. FYI, I am in Jalan yap Kwan Seng, near KLCC. Keep in touch.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion