Houllier - What do you think of h. leaving anfield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Houllier - What do you think of h. leaving anfield?

definitely right decision
53%
I'm sorry for him but probably it was necessary
47%
wrong decision, we could have won the title with him
No votes

Total votes : 34

Postby stretfordendconquerer » Mon May 24, 2004 5:15 pm

I think it was wrong to look for a new manager. What do you think ?
stretfordendconquerer

Postby DrLiverpool » Mon May 24, 2004 5:20 pm

i think i have already made it clear hoew i feel about houllier leaving

:D
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stretfordendconquerer » Mon May 24, 2004 5:50 pm

coudn't know you're the only person who answers here...???
stretfordendconquerer

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 24, 2004 5:51 pm

im upset hes gone, not cos he was good but coz i liked the bloke
definately time to move on tho
good luck in whatever he des.. did someone earlier say hed manage leeds? :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stretfordendconquerer » Mon May 24, 2004 6:03 pm

No, I think he would have never managed Leeds and he will not manage Leeds. ( That club ????? )
Lets hope he'll find a good club.
stretfordendconquerer

Postby greenred » Mon May 24, 2004 6:30 pm

Houllier was dragging the club down to a level not seen in fifty years.On the last day of the season he claimed "it is a magnificent achievment for Liverpool to finish fourth".When I read that in the programme I nearly vomited.That one comment sums up the Houllier era for me.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 24, 2004 6:32 pm

He's staying on Mersyside !!!!!
At Tranmere :D :laugh: :D :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon May 24, 2004 9:02 pm

For me you can narrow down when it all started to go wrong. Around 9.20pm on April 9, 2002. The venue was Germany.

Dietmar Hamann was subbed against Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions' League quarter-final.

The dip began. It became a blip, turned into a plateau and eventually led the club into a black hole. Liverpool would return to the land of mediocrity.

They led 2-1 on aggregate during the second half on that promising spring night. They lost 4-3.

The removal of Hamann was an indisputable turning point. Previously unquestioning elements of Liverpool's support started to fear Houllier's judgement was flawed and from this moment evidence started to pile up.

We should have been in the champions league final that year because i still think we would have beaten manure in the semis after beating them twice in the league.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby glenevisco » Mon May 24, 2004 9:24 pm

Last edited by glenevisco on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glenevisco

Postby stmichael » Mon May 24, 2004 9:29 pm

strachan at anfield? get real. he's got man united and leeds connections. it wouldn't be right.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby THEBARON » Mon May 24, 2004 9:39 pm

The decision today was a cruel necessity.
I agree with St Michael that the signs of things coming off with the rails started with the substitution in Germany , from then on it got gradually worse and worse. The treble probably gave Houllier an inflated view of his progress and judgement of players.Certainly his transfer dealings in the summer of 2002 contributed to his downfall. We invested heavily on Diao , Diouf and Cheyrou and got little back in return. At the same time we passed on Anelka , let Wright and Litmanan leave and lost some creativity in midfield with Mcallister , Redknapp and Barmby all leaving.
Since the summer of 2002 the only real plus points were the unbeaten start to the league and  a memorable visit to Cardiff.
On the debit side we crashed out of the champions league at the 1st group stage , lost to a lower league in the FA cup at home with a player advantage , got knocked out of Europe by a Scottish team for the 1st time in our history and finished 5th.
Houllier followed that up with 4th place this season ...yes an improvement on last season but a major dissapointment nevertheless. Does 30 points behind the leaders and 3 poor cup runs constitute progress ?
Ultimately the board have seen sense and finally made the right judgement call. Houllier's passion and commitment cannot be questioned but the results were not goodf enough.
We were going backwards on the pitch and becoming a laughing stock.
It is sad given that in the summers of 2001 and 2002 his position looked untouchable.
THEBARON

Postby stmichael » Mon May 24, 2004 9:46 pm

THEBARON wrote:Does 30 points behind the leaders and 3 poor cup runs constitute progress ?

that's what really p#ssed me off in an interview with houllier a couple of weeks ago. when asked if we had progressed this season he said yes because we finished 4th not 5th. this is despite the fact that we finished further from the winners than ever before.

a frightening statistic is that during his 6 years in charge we finished at an AVERAGE of 17 POINTS behind the winners of the league. now tell me that is accaptable for this club and you are seriously delude. we are not blackburn, fulham or middlesbrough, we are liverpool.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby THEBARON » Mon May 24, 2004 10:01 pm

Let's just be thankful that Moores and Parry finally made the right decision... Could it be that they couldn't fight the concensus of the fans on 2 fronts
ie
(1) The general apathy towards the Thai takeover
(2) The future of Houllier
They were never going to concede to Morgan's demands but were aware of growing unrest amongst the support so decided to axe Houllier.
THEBARON

Postby kenco » Mon May 24, 2004 10:33 pm

If he had stayed, I would have lost bthe will to live. :(
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon May 24, 2004 10:35 pm

I nearly did today when Gordon Strachan was being backed in left, right and centre from 14/1 to 4/1 for the vacancy.
jonnymac1979

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion