Alonso and gerrard - The reason for our dip in form

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby drummerphil » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:53 pm

shocking players the pair of them.......get rid get rid   :D

Robbie Savage now theres a player......:laugh:
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:55 pm

drummerphil wrote:shocking players the pair of them.......get rid get rid   :D

bring in barton, he's better than Gerrard!  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:57 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

yes yes.........he could be the new Don Hutchinson.... :D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:59 pm

i might merge this thread with "welsh wizzards wonderful world of w@nk" :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby drummerphil » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:00 pm

stmichael wrote:i might merge this thread with "welsh wizzards wonderful world of w@nk" :D

i agree  :D
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:04 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

Barton better than Gerrard?

You know ya footy. :laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:46 pm

drummerphil wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:

:laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GerrardisKing » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:07 am

7_Kewell wrote:
drummerphil wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:

:laugh:

Superb   :D
GerrardisKing

Postby darwisigila » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:42 am

i dont think alonso was off form coz for me , he's was our best player against arsenal but not at his best. he always lose possesion coz arsenal players very quick to close him down when he got the ball.
i do agree gerrard was off form..he's like a passenger, rarely see the ball and his passing is.....
darwisigila

Postby EddieC » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:36 pm

I think the pair of them are just knackered, they've already played the equivalent of a full season already, but with Momo out, there's not much chance of them getting a rest. Maybe we should have some of the youth team on the bench so we can bring them off when the oppositions dead & buried & the game's all but over. Though with our current lack of goals how often will that be?
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:17 pm

I read the locked thread by Wizard on Alonso and like most, i thought it was OTT and more an over-reaction to our recent struggles than anything else.

Alonso hasn't hit the heights of last season but he has played several fine games this season (everyone forgotten the 2 passes he played for the goals at Sunderland?), a few poor games but the for the most part he has played solid football. It was always going to be difficult for the lad this season. No longer an unknown quantity, you can guarantee opposing managers have been telling his players to get on top of Xabi to rob him of the time and space he uses to simply 'run the game'.

Also, don't underestimate the improvements Xabi has made to the defensive side of his game. Many times this season i've watched one of our players appear in the box to block a shot or make a last ditch tackle. I often assume it's Carra or Finnan and then up gets Alsonso. I'd say the defensive part of his game has improved 50%.

As for him not scoring enough goals. He's got a few this season. He got a few last year. That's good enough for me. Alonso is about 1- completing passes, 2- making tackles and 3- creating goals. I don't know how many assists Xabi has this year (maybe someone can dig up the stats?) but i imagine it's right up there with Stevie at the top of the chart. I do know the assist tally would be double (or more) if our strikers had the nous to put the ball in the net, same goes for Gerrard who is still playing some decent football in my book. I agree with Mick (and most others) that our inability to put the ball in the net is pretty much the sole cause of our recent form.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:32 pm

bigmick wrote:I personally don't think you need to be a master tactician to spot what is wrong with our team at the moment and with the greatest respect, while Gerrard and Alonso not playing to their very best maybe a symptom, it's certainly not the cause of our woes.
I'm not going to be particularly original here but our problems stem from the fact that we can't score goals. That, and only that is the problem. All the other component parts of the team which are beginning to creak are as a direct result of the fact that we don't score when we should.
Crouch's header today was a poor attempt at a fairly basic skill. The whole motion cloaked in anxiety, no timing at all as he flexed his neck muscles an age before the ball arrived. Misses in a manner such as that spur on the opposition and deflate our team. It's hard to work the ball into a wide area and pick out a cross. It takes effort, imagination and skill. Crouch's circular movement away from the ball and then back in towards the penalty spot was good, and almost certainly practised regularly. That he made such a poor attempt at the final action is bound to make the players say "FFS" under heir breath. It's the most natural reaction. Similarly the Arsenal players can't help but think "this games won as they aint gonna score". It was an awful attempt from the big man.
Gradually our confidence and belief has slipped away like sand through the fingers, to be replaced by hurried passes and snatched first touches. Where once the defence looked calm and assured there is an air of desperation, a knowledge that one mistake probably means game over as we won't be able to pull the game back. Similarly teams are able to defend against us with ease and confidence, the litany of long punts and lack of pace and/or channel balls to turn the defence around allowing them to predict where the ball will land and cover accordingly. Not for the opposition the anxiety of mistakes, they know they will rarely be punished even if a Liverpool striker gets free.
Sorry mate in a nutshell that is the problem for me, nothing else. Solve that and you solve the other problems. My suspicion is that if we had Thierry Henri, we would defend better and pass it better. Also, steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso would play better too. We'd probably be an absolutely cracking side aswell.

Don't you know how to use smilies  ???

Seriously, right on the noggin again. I reckon your fookin Roy Evans or Sammy Lee or someone like that.
Last edited by neil on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:57 pm

there are some quality posters on here , big mick always talks sense even if you don't agree you can see where he is coming from.

then you have welsh wizard/mudface/hustler who spoil the whole forum by talkin utter B@LLOCKS

xabi,SG,momo will be the core of this team for the next 5 seasons and while no one can play at there best all of the time xabi and SG are good enough to push though games when they are not at 100%

the idea to sell him is stupid and only a bitter or a manc would think that could be a good idea
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion