Bob Paisley - Tribute to a true legend

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
JBG wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:I was just checking the official, and was shoked and stunned to find that 157 (an counting) Liverpool fans thought that Bob Paisley should NOT receive a posthumous knighthood.

What the fuck is that all about?

Posthumous Knighthood Poll Results

Obviously Everton or Manc fans.

Paisley was a great manager and a great man. Sir Alex Ferguson was knighted (and rightfully so) for his achievements, yet Paisley's success eclipses Fergie's, especially in Europe.

I thought that, but you need to be registered to vote, would that many go through the hassle ?

Sounds like a bit of a Star Wars quote, but you underestimate the bitterness of the Everton and United fans.
There is NO WAY any LFC supporter that has any grasp on reality would not think that Bob is deserving of that award.
I am too young to know enough about him, but after reading and hearing what other supporters have said about him, it is obvious to everyone that he was not only one/if not THE MOST successfull manager in englsih football, but also a man that knew what was important. No ego and a man who respected opponents. Someone that epitomises LFC, the fans and what the club stands for.
It is not unfortunate that he has not been honoured, more a disgrace tbh.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:13 pm

article on bob by david fairclough....lfc.tv.

HOW BOB PAISLEY LEFT ME IN TEARS

David Fairclough 14 February 2006 

Though Bob Paisley was a surprise choice to take over the manager's seat from Shanks in 1974 the decision proved a master stroke by the then Chairman John Smith. 

As the man who gifted me the opportunity to fulfil my childhood dream of playing for Liverpool Football Club, I have a lot to thank Bob Paisley for. The most successful manager in Liverpool’s history, his achievements will never be forgotten and in this week, 10 years since he died, those memories are now being rekindled.

In his role as assistant manager to Bill Shankly he was seen as the hard man of the partnership so I found it surprising when he would take me aside to give me advice as I progressed through the junior ranks.

He possibly spotted some potential because within 16 months of him becoming manager he gave me my debut against Middlesbrough as a stunned 18-year old.

To then be part of the squad that won the League title and UEFA Cup in 1975/76, was an incredible time. It was only Bob's second season in charge. The run of games at the back end of that season which saw us clinch the title from under the nose of QPR were especially memorable culminating with the title clinching game at Wolves.

Then there were the games with Barcelona and Club Bruges that secured our European success of that year. They are very rarely recalled, even though they were two of Liverpool's all-time great European performances.

Fairclough's tribute to Paisley
As the man who gifted me the opportunity to fulfil my childhood dream of playing for Liverpool Football Club, I have a lot to thank Bob Paisley for. The most successful manager in Liverpool’s history, his achievements will never be forgotten and in this week, 10 years since he died, those memories are now beingrekindled.

Over those next eight years we shared a relationship full of surprises as under his leadership Liverpool first set about dominating England and then became the most feared team throughout Europe.

My early role during that period is remembered as a willing youngster who the boss introduced in the later stages of matches in an attempt to change the pattern of the game. Because that early rotation style of team selection he then adopted worked I became a victim of my own success and it was to prove a very frustrating time for me personally.

While he was sympathetic to my situation in those early days as an eager youngster, after a season or two I really felt I got the unfair end of the deal.

It is perhaps appropriate on the 10th anniversary of Bob's sad passing, that the current Reds should be playing Arsenal. During his management days, Liverpool tended to get the upper hand against the Gunners. He didn't have such fond memories of them though from his playing career and missing out on one particular clash with Arsenal would be his greatest disappointment.

It was an experience that would be the basis of a special link that existed between us.

After clinching the league title in 1977, with a 0-0 home draw against West Ham, we travelled to London on the following Thursday for the FA Cup final hoping to claim the second leg of the elusive treble. All that week speculation mounted as to which eleven players would take on Manchester United at Wembley. Though fourteen men made up the travelling squad, full back Alec Lindsay knew he wouldn’t be involved and through out the week speculation mounted as to who would be the other unlucky player.

The running joke once we arrived at Lime Street station was to avoid getting in conversation with the boss just in case he took the chance to deliver the bad news. I didn’t worry too much as he’d already told to me privately I would be involved in some way.

At the team hotel Thursday night passed without any further hint of the team selection, I was rooming with Alec that trip and as I opened the door the following morning to go down for training, I got the fright of my life.

Fairclough on life under Paisley
To be part of the squad that won the League title and UEFA Cup in 1975/76, was an incredible time. It was only Bob's second season in charge. The run of games at the back end of that season which saw us clinch the title from under the nose of QPR were especially memorable culminating with the title clinching game at Wolves.
Then there were the games with Barcelona and Club Bruges that secured our European success of that year. They are very rarely recalled, even though they were two of Liverpool's all-time great European performances.
'Linds' had left a couple of minutes before me but as I went to leave I had a surprise visitor … the boss was standing at our door. Together we walked to his room just around the corridor and I sensed something was wrong by the look in his eyes. He announced I would be odd man out – the 13th man.

It was in 1950 as a Liverpool player, after scoring in the semi-final victory over our neighbours Everton, that he too had looked forward to playing in his first F.A. Cup final. Dramatically he was dropped for that final that the Reds lost 2-0 against Arsenal. A decision he later claimed hit him so hard that had a team come in for him at that time he would have left Liverpool. His decision to stay put proved to be one of the key decisions that would shape Liverpool F.C. history.

That story formed the basis of how he let me down and told me how I would be playing no part in the final. But even though he said he knew I how I would be feeling - he didn’t make me feel much better.

In trying to make sense of his decision he explained his thinking and told me how he hoped the game would pan out. With due respect to him he did look disappointed in delivering this blow and I’m sure he could probably see a hint of a tear in my eye. In an attempt to soften the news he made reference to his plans for the third leg of a potential treble, the European Cup Final coming up the following Wednesday in Rome.

I’ll be honest and say I was devastated as I returned to the squad for training. Still throughout that Friday morning training session, coincidentally Arsenal’s Colney headquarters, the joke rumbled on about who would be the unlucky man, though I was in no mood for joking - I’d already been caught.

Events the following day didn’t go according to plan. The dream of the treble was gone as we lost to United 2-1. Though with typical Liverpool resilience all those disappointments were pushed aside only days later when we went to Rome in search of football’s Holy Grail.

In the city that he first conquered during the war, Bob Paisley famously went on to mastermind the most momentous victory in Liverpool history and John Smith's shock decision three years earlier had been fully vindicated. 

=================================================

i still cant forget that day in 77 against the scum
:angry:

what better time to make amends on satdy.  :nod

btw wasnt the national run that day too? red rum won it i think...... :cool: (course it wasnt ! time stood still back then  :D )
Last edited by red37 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:19 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
JBG wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:I was just checking the official, and was shoked and stunned to find that 157 (an counting) Liverpool fans thought that Bob Paisley should NOT receive a posthumous knighthood.

Paisley was a great manager and a great man. Sir Alex Ferguson was knighted (and rightfully so) for his achievements, yet Paisley's success eclipses Fergie's, especially in Europe.

I thought that, but you need to be registered to vote, would that many go through the hassle ?

As sad as it sounds you can bet there are enough out there willing to go through the hassle just to get a vote in. Find it hard to believe there are any reds out there who would actually vote against the Great Man getting the award unless it was a vote  to say 'screw you lot, we don't want your poxy bull.sh.it, dish it out to just about anyone award'.

I still got Bob's autograph tucked away in a notebook at home. It's one of me most prized posessions.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Why was it such a shock decision to appoint Bob Paisley Liverpool manager after Shanks.  He played and captained the team, managed the reserves, was physio, was assistant manager.....he probabaly even drove the team coach....the step up to manager was the obvious move surely.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:02 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
JBG wrote:

As sad as it sounds you can bet there are enough out there willing to go through the hassle just to get a vote in. Find it hard to believe there are any reds out there who would actually vote against the Great Man getting the award unless it was a vote  to say 'screw you lot, we don't want your poxy bull.sh.it, dish it out to just about anyone award'.

I still got Bob's autograph tucked away in a notebook at home. It's one of me most prized posessions.

Got a picture of me and our kid with Sir Bob and King Kenny in the players lounge, we both have white crown paints kits on (with the camp looking short shorts).

He spoke to me and our kid for ten minutes about football, like yer grandad would. Then he rubbed us both on the head (again like yer grandad would) and walked off.

I never washed me hair for about 3 weeks
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:58 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Got a picture of me and our kid with Sir Bob and King Kenny in the players lounge, we both have white crown paints kits on (with the camp looking short shorts).

Soon as i read that i got a vision of you wearing those dodgy shorts as you are now! Not a pretty sight! :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:08 pm

From the offal today

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG151479060216-1040.htm

Bob Paisley: In my own words:

"I didn't want his [Shankly's] job. I even tried talking him into staying. I suggested that if he went on a world cruise to recharge his batteries we could see if we could handle it when he came back. But Bill just said that he had enough, and that was that."

"I said that when I took over that I would settle for a drop of Bell's once a month, a big bottle at the end of the season and a ride round the city in an open top bus!"

"I love the city and the people here. I've been with them for many years and I fought alongside them. Ninety per cent of the regiment were from the Merseyside area. So I got to know the Liverpool character. From a psychological point of view, that was a big asset. I've had a fair time to judge the Liverpool people and I think they're tremendous."

"In my filing cabinet of my Anfield office I have built up a collection of desk diaries for each season in which all sorts of details were noted, ranging from weather conditions for a match in September to the fact that a certain player was late for training one day in March. Nothing can be discounted as unimportant."

"So many people have asked what has been the secret of Liverpool's unprecedented success. There isn't one, except that we acknowledge that you can never stop learning and putting it into good use."

Paisley: The secret of my success

"In my filing cabinet of my Anfield office I have built up a collection of desk diaries for each season in which all sorts of details were noted, ranging from weather conditions for a match in September to the fact that a certain player was late for training one day in March. Nothing can be discounted as unimportant."

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

"I can let the team do the talking for me."

"If I was pinned down I'd say that was my greatest asset. I could speak to players and give them examples of injuries and how they heal. The physio side probably stemmed from the knocks I got as a player."

"I just hoped that after the trials and tribulations of my early years in management, someone up high would smile on me and guide my hand. My plea was answered when we got Kenny Dalglish. What a player, what a great professional!"

"The game is one of understanding between players and managers. You have to march in the same direction to achieve success, and you certainly have to do that to overcome problems."

"Other people have earned more money than me in football but no-one has enjoyed it as much as me."

"I was the first English-born manager to win the European Cup and I couldn't have picked a better time or place to do it. Everything was perfect. I had driven into Rome on the back of tank in 1944. I was part of another conquering force then and came back as manager of another conquering force, thankfully in football not war."

"There's no way I'll become complacent. I'm far too conscious of my duty to the supporters for that to happen."

"The only games we can afford to lose are in the Central League, because our Reserves have already won that!"

"In the tunnel before we walked out on to the pitch, I shook hands with Tommy Docherty and said I hoped it would be a good game. I didn't wish him good luck. That would have been hypocritical."

Paisley: My greatest moment

"I was the first English-born manager to win the European Cup and I couldn't have picked a better time or place to do it. Everything was perfect. I had driven into Rome on the back of tank in 1944. I was part of another conquering force then and came back as manager of another conquering force, thankfully in football not war."

"People who sit in the stands perhaps don't realise the extra pressure exerted by the emotional side of the game. It's not easy to cope with and it's quite possible to become drunk on four ounces of wine gum!"

"The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience, and this is where we can play the Continentals at their own game."

"You may have found me mean and thirsty in my search for trophies, but the bad news is the man who is taking my place is hungrier than me. Fagan's the name and I don't think he'll need any help from the Artful Dodger!"

"This club has been my life. I'd go out and sweep the street and be proud to do it for Liverpool FC if they asked me to."
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:02 pm

That is such a great read, I read on .tv.. and well tears in me eyes OH YES..

What a truly great man he was..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:18 am

Greatest manager ever. I grew up watching his Liverpool team progressing and evolving from his very first season to becoming such a force in English and European football.

So much a winner with so many trophies collected in such a short space of just 9 seasons yet suah an unassuming and humble man. Great human being. Deserves a knighthood, and is a knight in my book.

Just like Ian Rush said, "Bill Shankley may have started the Liverpool FC revolution but Bob Pasisley completed it."
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:59 pm

YNWA
kopite

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion