CONDOLENCES FOR GEORGE BEST

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby greenred » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:55 pm

I think some younger fans underestimate the esteem in which Georgie Best was held.I wrote somewhere else that my old man rang me the other day,crying,to say the greatest footballer of all time had just died.Ive never heard him that emotional in my life,ever.Maybe its a generational thing.Or maybe we`ve just forgotten how to celebrate our heroes.RIP Georgie.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:58 pm

greenred wrote:I think some younger fans underestimate the esteem in which Georgie Best was held.I wrote somewhere else that my old man rang me the other day,crying,to say the greatest footballer of all time had just died.Ive never heard him that emotional in my life,ever.Maybe its a generational thing.Or maybe we`ve just forgotten how to celebrate our heroes.RIP Georgie.

Yes, Georgie was always held in great esteem in Ireland, both north and south.

He was probably the biggest Irish sportstar of all time, and he played at a time when Ireland was troubled, and he probably provided an outlet of escape for a lot of people going through hard times.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:10 am

JBG wrote:Yes, Georgie was always held in great esteem in Ireland, both north and south.

He was probably the biggest Irish sportstar of all time, and he played at a time when Ireland was troubled, and he probably provided an outlet of escape for a lot of people going through hard times.

He certainly seemed to be loved,both North and South.He did more for cross border relations than any politician i can care to mention.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:22 am

Funnily enough though, at that time there was less stigma attached to supporting Northern Ireland.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:46 am

greenred wrote:I think some younger fans underestimate the esteem in which Georgie Best was held.I wrote somewhere else that my old man rang me the other day,crying,to say the greatest footballer of all time had just died.Ive never heard him that emotional in my life,ever.Maybe its a generational thing.Or maybe we`ve just forgotten how to celebrate our heroes.RIP Georgie.

My dad is  from the west side of Belfast and a life long Liverpool Supporter , he  doesnt give a damm that George Best was from the east side of Belfast or that he played for Man utd .
Like my dad , i  just appreciate good football and the beautiful game  and like any true footballing fan  we just find it a great loss to football just like you and your dad
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:09 am

Good football and a beautiful game -long may that continue.
I think  my old man, had he been here,wouldve shed a tear for Best too, i grew up listening to all the marvellous things he did ,then hed change his tone and spit venom when he talked of his off field shenanighans, and when Best quit, the old man was quiet until a young Liam Brady emerged. We mention Best up there with Pele Maradona etc but I can remember The calibre of player it took to replace Brady at Juve lol that french dude and he wasnt bad either. :)
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:04 am

Ahh Liam Brady........ now there was a player and a half, always wished he had played for  us instead of Arsenal
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:40 am

BarryBelfast wrote:
Garymac wrote:Why give an alcoholic another liver to abuse then, if he was so gripped by it??

Thats called not giving up Gary!
The doctors obviously thought he could beat hisn addiction.
Obviously they were wrong.
I can understand people saying he was this and that alcho and what ever.But alcoholism can hit anyone and ruin the best of men!
It aint about his drinking that people are bitter,its because he played for the Scum!

Barry you're thinkin the same as me yet again.  Some people dont have a clue.  i'll admit I'm fu.cking pi.ssed right  now but I don't give a flying fu.ck.

I've said it before.  Don't blame bestie for getting a new liver. it was wrong and i wont deny that.  BUT blame the laws that allowed it to happen, not best.  If you were lying on your death bed and needed a liver to live and you could afford it would you turn it down? ???  Of course you wouldn't you wan.ker, fu.cking wake up.

The man was a legend, I don't care if he played for the scum, he is a fu.cking idol, an idol of mine and I will judge him on his footballing genius.  What u read in the papers may or may not be true.  He is the greatest player there has ever been and I dont give a fu.ck what small minded fu.cks like leon say.

Respect to georgie, the best there was and the best there ever will be.  I'm Liverpool thru and thru but that man was the best and anyone who says otherwise is in denial.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:54 am

BarryBelfast wrote:
Garymac wrote:Why give an alcoholic another liver to abuse then, if he was so gripped by it??

Thats called not giving up Gary!
The doctors obviously thought he could beat hisn addiction.
Obviously they were wrong.
I can understand people saying he was this and that alcho and what ever.But alcoholism can hit anyone and ruin the best of men!
It aint about his drinking that people are bitter,its because he played for the Scum!

Nail on the head once again Barry.

Garrymac I usually agree with you on all things Liverpool but your opinion on George Best is small minded in my opinion.  The guy is an absolute legend and I dont care if he was a manc or not.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:44 pm

Some of you guys need an oral enema for the :censored: that is coming out of your gobs at the moment. George Best had problems. And you don't? You've never done anything wrong? Drugs? Drink? Fighting? I :censored: have. But that is not the defining point of my existance. I bet every single person on this site above the age of 15 has done something that they're not proud of. And if you say you haven't, it meerly reinforces my call for that oral enema. The difference between some of you pantywastes and someone like George Best, is that he did something with his life. He entertained millions and gave joy to football fans throughout the world.

In truth, I don't believe that half of the things you guys are writing are actually your opinions. It's far more likely that you're lonely or drunk (talk about the pot and the kettle, eh?) and you need to make yourself feel big by getting a rise out of real people. We all know that the faults you find in others, are the faults you deny in yourself.

As for those fans at the game yesterday, it made me feel ill. I wasn't there, so I don't know who the petty little tw@ts are, and I find it hard to believe they were Liverpool fans, but if they were, i'll be so ashamed. It was so :censored: weak.

On a plus note, I was so happy with the reactions of the Wolves, Southampton, Portsmouth, Chelsea and Celtic fans. Best would have appreciated applause far more than silence.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:29 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:Some of you guys need an oral enema for the :censored: that is coming out of your gobs at the moment. George Best had problems. And you don't? You've never done anything wrong? Drugs? Drink? Fighting? I :censored: have. But that is not the defining point of my existance. I bet every single person on this site above the age of 15 has done something that they're not proud of. And if you say you haven't, it meerly reinforces my call for that oral enema. The difference between some of you pantywastes and someone like George Best, is that he did something with his life. He entertained millions and gave joy to football fans throughout the world.

In truth, I don't believe that half of the things you guys are writing are actually your opinions. It's far more likely that you're lonely or drunk (talk about the pot and the kettle, eh?) and you need to make yourself feel big by getting a rise out of real people. We all know that the faults you find in others, are the faults you deny in yourself.

As for those fans at the game yesterday, it made me feel ill. I wasn't there, so I don't know who the petty little tw@ts are, and I find it hard to believe they were Liverpool fans, but if they were, i'll be so ashamed. It was so :censored: weak.

On a plus note, I was so happy with the reactions of the Wolves, Southampton, Portsmouth, Chelsea and Celtic fans. Best would have appreciated applause far more than silence.

Great Post Ace! :nod
66-1120597113

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:08 pm

JBG wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Probably a (very very very) bad example, but its the same train of thought.

We should look over the womanising, wife beating, drink driving and the fact that he took a donor organ and abused it when there are many many more deserving people waiting (and dying) who would have made better use of it just because he was a great footballer?

NO.

I am Liverpool through and through, but I dont hate Man United more than I love Liverpool like some "fans".

Geourge Best was the greatest footballer I have ever seen, and I include Pele, Marradona and all the others in that. He did things with a football that totally mesmerised you. He leaves memories of pieces of skill, bravado, style and endevour that will never ever die.

However I have no sympathy for him. I feel for his father, his son and all his family but not for him.

Football lost a great footballer twenty odd years ago when he fell down the slippery slope of alcoholism and all that goes with it. Friday the world lost an old foolish man.

I disagree with the hyipocrisy of statements like " No matter how he lived his life he deserves total respect from all football lovers simply because he was a footballing genius" and "He never did anything to harm anybody but himself, the guy should be solely remembered on what he could do with a football" and To George Best: you were one of us and we loved you for it, God bless .

Leon, that is a bit of a climb down from your earlier position on Best and if this post represents your opinion on the man, then fair enough.

My own feeling is that people are very quick to be judgemental. Best was a very weak man, and his life was tragic in that he is the archetypal genius ruined by his own human weaknesses.

I don't think George Best was a bad man in any shape or form. In fact, I have heard countless people speak of him being a very warm and loving human being.

Everybody makes mistakes and do things that we are not proud of, I know I certainly do. George Best made more mistakes than many, but in the end, I doubt he hurt anybody more than he hurt himself. His alcoholism, I believe, probably arose from his own guilt and self loathing for throwing away his playing career.

George Best's weaknesses were highlighted more than anybody elses because of who he was. If I was to say "I'll have no symapthy for that man because he did this or he did that" everytime somebody I knew died then I'd never manage to go to a funeral.

Well lets see then shall we?

My 1st post in this thread was Nov 25th @ 13:26 and read:

I have to say that I am with PEEWEE on this one.

I will not shed a tear for his passing, not only has he wasted his own life with Drink, he wasted that of another. You see when he took that organ, someone else on the waiting list missed out. What happened to that person, wether they lived or died I dont know, but they may have.

I feel sorry for the family and their loss, but not for Best.

My 2nd post in the thread read as follows and was posted Nov 26th @ 11:36

Quote (Scottbot @ Nov. 26 2005,00:54)
I don't really believe that George Best the man deserves a minutes silence at every football ground in the country tomorrow? I don't recall our Emlyn getting all that.

I thought the same, but me and Murrfff are off to the sity of Manchester today, and I will observe the minutes silence.

My 3rd post in the thread was not too well thought out in terms of the example I gave, but was posted Nov 26th @ 19:29:

Quote (fivecups @ Nov. 26 2005,17:10)
Totally agree. No matter how he lived his life he deserves total respect from all football lovers simply because he was a footballing genius.

The same with that West Brom lad for the drink driving ? Thats ok is it ?

Also, if Harold Shipman was a top flight footballer would you give him a minutes silence ?

My fourth post in the thread, the one you commented on here was posted Nov 26th @ 20:21:

Probably a (very very very) bad example, but its the same train of thought.

We should look over the womanising, wife beating, drink driving and the fact that he took a donor organ and abused it when there are many many more deserving people waiting (and dying) who would have made better use of it just because he was a great footballer?

NO.

I am Liverpool through and through, but I dont hate Man United more than I love Liverpool like some "fans".

Geourge Best was the greatest footballer I have ever seen, and I include Pele, Marradona and all the others in that. He did things with a football that totally mesmerised you. He leaves memories of pieces of skill, bravado, style and endevour that will never ever die.

However I have no sympathy for him. I feel for his father, his son and all his family but not for him.

Football lost a great footballer twenty odd years ago when he fell down the slippery slope of alcoholism and all that goes with it. Friday the world lost an old foolish man.

I disagree with the hyipocrisy of statements like " No matter how he lived his life he deserves total respect from all football lovers simply because he was a footballing genius" and "He never did anything to harm anybody but himself, the guy should be solely remembered on what he could do with a football" and To George Best: you were one of us and we loved you for it, God bless .

So therefore JBG where is the "bit of a climb down from your earlier position on Best" ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:28 pm

I heard a Doc speaking on radio this morning.He reckoned the publicity surrounding Best`s liver transplant directly led to a massive increase in people carrying organ donor cards.Its a slightly different perspective on the usual "waste of a liver" argument.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:47 pm

Leon this thread says CONDOLENCES FOR GEORGE BEST.Not "George Best the man" asyou refer to 0bringing his private life to the fore. If youve no respect for him -kindly shut the door on yer way out and take them Harold Shipman comments with ya.

GEORGE BEST WAS INNOCENT
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:04 pm

Mikz wrote:Leon this thread says CONDOLENCES FOR GEORGE BEST.Not "George Best the man" asyou refer to 0bringing his private life to the fore. If youve no respect for him -kindly shut the door on yer way out and take them Harold Shipman comments with ya.

GEORGE BEST WAS INNOCENT

I would take the conversation elsewhere, but why not discuss it here?

George Best was Innocent?

Of What exactly ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum