Player ratings vs villa.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:18 pm

Reina - 7. Was quick off his line, commanding his box and cleared corners with good punchs. You can see the defences confidence in him already.

Finnan - 7. As always. Hardly ever has a bad game. Passed the ball well and defended well.

Riise - 6. Was assured at the back, didn't really contribute going foward much. Against Anderlecht he was superb, today he was ok. But he done his job more than well enough.

Hyypia - 8. Won everything, looked as assured as ever and commanded the back line.

Carragher - 8. Swept up everything, won most first balls and every second ball. Probably the best player on the pitch.

Gerrard - 7. Completely wasted out wide. But has to do it for the good of the team at present. Drifted alot but had a good game. His attitudes completely changed since last season and he's looking more consistent. Great penalty.

Luis Garcia - 5. Was cheap in possession, didn't really get into the flow of the game, looked off the pace.

Sissoko - 5. After a great start he's drastically lost form. His passing was worse than Luis Garcia's and in my opinion he should have come off. Poor game, he's far better than that.

Alonso - 7. He was everywhere. His passing this season hasn't been what it was last year, he's adapting to the premiership more so now though and his class and ability is starting to shine through. Fantastic player.

Morientes - 6. Tried hard, just nothing came off for him. Some nice touches but didn't do any damage. Should have read a great cross from Sissy Much better and been on the scoresheet.

Sissy - 5. Missed a sitter as he only seems to be able to blast a ball. Only positive contribution was a great cross after his poor touch played Gareth Barry into trouble.

Subs:

Zenden - 7. Looked lively for the short time he was on and created problems, helped set up a goal.

Kewell - 7. Looked sharper than he has in the past and done ok in the short time he was on.

Crouch - 7. Missed 3 sitters but played a part in both goals and helped us win the match.

Rafa - 9. Excellent substitutions at the right time won us the game.
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:22 pm

I agree with those ratings. Sissoko stopped being ''aggressive'' after picking up an early yellow card, definetly not playing well as he was in the earlier games.

Cisse and Morientes were disappointing. Morientes didn't get at the end of any crosses and Cisse... well his finishing is fecking :censored: poor.

Overall I wasn't expecting us to play as well as we did in the last two games because we've had such a poor record after CL games.
Last edited by A.B. on Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Alonso14 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:29 pm

I didnt actully catch the game, but ill watch the extended highlights tonight. A couple of people metioned that Sissoko didnt play great, mayb time to give the lad a rest and let Zenden have a run in center, see how he does, if not Hamman will never let you down.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:41 pm

Zenden in the middle is an option, i wouldn't use Didi. He doesn't offer enough movement and attacking threat, not with Xabi anyways, similar players.

Kewell, Zenden, Xabi and Stevie.Might be worth a go. Good shout.
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:50 pm

That wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I reckon that Benitez might drop Sissoko against Pompey, Zenden would be a good option alongside Alonso. He did well as a central-midfielder for Boro, why not try it out and see if it works for us?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:25 pm

Mentioned this before myself, I'd like to see Zenden get a chance in the middle.  What better chance to try it out than when Gerrard plays out right.

But then again, we've all been harping on about having a settled starting 11.  Despite his performance today, Sissoko's been our most consistent midfielder this season in my opinion.  I'd stick with Momo, but he's bound to have a suspension coming up with all these yellows so we can try Zenden out then :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:39 pm

Zenden is far more threatening in the middle for me anyway. He struggles to cross when out wide and he is definately gonna get more chances to score in the centre. As for Kewell i think he needs more matches to convince but on his day he's definately quite a handfull on the left side. To be honest though i think Rafa will stick with Sissoko...
Red squirrel

Postby neilE » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:40 am

If Sissoko does get dropped, it will only be for Hamann. Alonso isn't enough of a Makele to be able to play his game without a stopper in front of him. As far as I'm concerned Sissoko is well entitled to a bad game at the moment. He's been a revelation so far, and for a 20 year old African kid to come in from Spanish football, and pick up the EPL game without breaking stride is a hell of an acievement. I'm sure he'll be back next week as good as ever IMHO.
neilE

Postby whylongball? » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:05 am

neilE wrote:If Sissoko does get dropped, it will only be for Hamann. Alonso isn't enough of a Makele to be able to play his game without a stopper in front of him. As far as I'm concerned Sissoko is well entitled to a bad game at the moment. He's been a revelation so far, and for a 20 year old African kid to come in from Spanish football, and pick up the EPL game without breaking stride is a hell of an acievement. I'm sure he'll be back next week as good as ever IMHO.

yeah agree with Hamann point. What happens to Hamann anyway?not even on the bench?
whylongball?

Postby primodua » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:21 am

A.B. wrote:That wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I reckon that Benitez might drop Sissoko against Pompey, Zenden would be a good option alongside Alonso. He did well as a central-midfielder for Boro, why not try it out and see if it works for us?

I don't think so. I think rafa will not gamble anymore chances after that average display last night. It was only one match and I don't think that rafa would risk to replace sissoko with zenden. Sissoko had proven his worth in the past games. IMO sissoko is prettey much more aggresive with more attitude than xabi or even zenden in the middle. What rafa has been bragging about him the "beta" version of Viera is absolutely correct. Give him time lad.

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:34 am

Sissoko is not in Vieira's class, never will be and i don't believe for one second he has a better attitude than Xabi Alonso.
115-1073096938

Postby Espionage » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:04 am

Zenden - 9
Look at all the great crosses he put in, Crouch was unlucky not to score, he is the only natural winger we have at the club, he doesnt fu.ck around with it jsut plays beautiful balls into the 6 yard box, he deserves more love from the fans :(

Crouch - 7
I would like to give him 8 but he just didnt put one away, when he came on he made an imediate impact, first the thru ball into Gerrad when he was on the wing, he got us the penelty and even though he missed some good opportunities, at least he was getting into the right areas.

Sissoko - 6
I am a big fan of Sissoko, but his form recently has left alot to be desired. His energy is still high and he lunges at every ball he can, it is just that his distribution has been sh.it If you want to be be better than Viera then you have to be more composed on the ball

Reina - 8
Very sharp today, not once did he loook uncertain, apart from maybe that Kevin Phillips chance midway through the first half. Over all a very good game (btw how hilarious was Dudek's face when Reina made a good save, he did not look very impressed at all :D )

Alonso - 8
Great energy and poise, it is good to see that we still have someone in mid-field that can turn the game around for us even when Gerrad is on the right. Alonso played very well and was rewarded in the end with a cracking goal (albeit poor keeping)

Gerrad - 6
Seemed to phase in and out of games, it seemed that at certain times we reverted into 4-5-1 with Cisse on the right and then Gerrad wandering around aimlessly. We definately looked good when we were spreading it wide, but it seemed that after the first 30 mins we stopped trying, it took until Zenden came on for us to really look dangerous again. Maybe 6 is a little harsh but i guess that you expect more from Gerrad.

Cisse - 6
You cant help but like the guy but I just dont see him ever having the striker's touch. The one on one chance that he had...... if he wants to be a 20 per season man then plain and simple, he has to make the most of those chances. I think that he was a bit fortunate against Anderlecht going through the legs of the keeper, power is the only option he has.... You would think that with his pace he should be able to dribble around the keeper.
If only Crouch and Cisse got a few lessions on finishing from Morientes  :p

Over all - 8
I thourght that our performace was not great, we did look like the better team and we definately deserved to at least get a goal (just a pitty that it had to come from a penelty), and a great second goal to be sure.
I am just happy that our fu.cking losing games after playing CL mid-week run is over. Well done boys, lets keep this run going!!!!!!! :cool:
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:14 am

Zenden - 9

A little bit over the top?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Espionage » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:17 am

Well he did create two goals :;):
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:28 am

Hardly when one was a penalty and the other a first-time shot off a clearance.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion