The reality is, - We've had quite a hard start.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:02 pm

Anyway back to the original post we have had a tough start against decent opposition.
I do not believe though we should continue to think like that afterall the premiership is tough and Liverpool football club should be looking for nothing less than a win against the likes of Boro,Spurs or even Manure.
We need to aim high and not become content with the sort of results we ve got.
66-1112520797

Postby teamleader1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:11 pm

stmichael wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:The thing is, is it neccassary, becuase we havent got a right sided midfielder at the club. Someone is going to have to play out of postion, it just about choseing the most viable.

the thing is, the most viable option is gerrard but as soon as i mentioned that, everybody shot me down with the "you can't take gerrard out the middle argument".

i mean it's not like we're short in central midfield is it? maybe this would give alonso a bit more freedom. at the moment he's playing far too deep for my liking. hell he's virtually a centre half most of the time.

the fact is gerrard actually possesses the ability to go past people in wide areas with his pace and drive. he's also the best crosser of a ball at the club bar none.

I would not have agreed with you a little while back but now I think your spot on Michael

From what ive seen of the other RM alternatives Gerrard posseses the best credentials and in sissoko alonso risse weve got all the other bases covered
This would allow us to play 2 up front with plenty of support
teamleader1

Postby JBG » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:15 pm

We have had a solid start, I agree.

Draws away to Boro and Spurs are an improvement over our record at their places in the past 5 or 6 years.

We also lost 3 times on the trot at home to Manchester UTD, so a draw is progress.

We have had a strange start given the amount of European games we have played. We'll get a run of games soon in the League when games will start coming thick and fast, so we could have an opportunity to start picking up a few decent wins.

While it is early doors yet, I reckon we are better in the Premiership than last season. We seem to be tougher to beat, and the games we have played in have been tight. We'll still lose a few times in games that will really disappoint us, but I reckon we'll do at least 10-15 points better than last year.

One thing I have noticed is that Chelsea are in a league of their own at the moment. The smaller teams are just rolling over and allow Chelsea beat them, their only concern is to keep the score down. Man UTD had a good start but they are beginning to stutter, and Keane and Heinze are MASSIVE losses for them.

Arsenal are not the team they were. Vieira is gone, Henry is injured, Pires is not the player he used to be and Bergkamp is seeing out the twilight of his career. They still have some excellent players but I think we could see Arsene Wenger's worst season in charge. I can see Man UTD and us beating them and I can also see some other sides, like Bolton, getting one over them as well. I think Arsenal will finish with 5 or 6 defeats this season, with us having 7 or 8, so I don't think there will be much daylight between us and them at the end.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:24 pm

agree with the chelsea thing jbg. west brom went there a few weeks back knowing that they'd probably get nothing and consequently rested half of their team for the weekend game against birmingham.

i mean what kind of a defeatest attitude is that?

the scary thing is, essien (despite being way way overpriced) is looking like one hell of a player. if makelele ever got crocked, he'd just step into his shoes.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby teamleader1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:24 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Anyway back to the original post we have had a tough start against decent opposition.
I do not believe though we should continue to think like that afterall the premiership is tough and Liverpool football club should be looking for nothing less than a win against the likes of Boro,Spurs or even Manure.
We need to aim high and not become content with the sort of results we ve got.

Definitely

But we must also progress to the point were we are capable of doing it and not just wanting it and that will take time-
Rafa knows our capabilities right now and is playing to our strengths, as the season moves on so shall the team-

Im happy so far and have no doubt we will become a major force once again when Raf takes the work in progress sign down
teamleader1

Postby drummerphil » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:35 pm

I was watching MOTD2  Sunday night and Alan Hansen said after they showed the highlights from the game,that that was a game we would have lost last season.This season we are up for the fight and much tougher and not many teams will beat us.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:01 pm

stu_the_red

Posted: Sep. 20 2005,11:18 QUOTE
I'm well impressed with the clean sheets. Would be great if it could continue into the Birmingham game. I'd be happy with a 1-0. :)
Playing players out of position unless neccerssary is bollox. Thats the end of it.

Cool Hand Luke

Posted: Sep. 20 2005,11:49 QUOTE
The thing is, is it neccassary, becuase we havent got a right sided midfielder at the club. Someone is going to have to play out of postion, it just about choseing the most viable.

Both valid points . bottom line is someone has to play there .I know we shouldn't believe everything we read in the paper but I read the other day that Pongo reckons he's the man for that job. Mind you i think he'd offer to play in any position if it meant he got a regular start .   

:D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:04 pm

woof woof ! wrote:bottom line is someone has to play there .I know we shouldn't believe everything we read in the paper but I read the other day that Pongo reckons he's the man for that job. Mind you i think he'd offer to play in any position if it meant he got a regular start . :D

exactly woof woof. there in lies the difference between players in terms of attitude. you really wouldn't know ALT and FSP were related. they're like chalk and cheese. :D

FSP - "it's not my position but i will play there if it's for the benefit of the team".

ALT - "if i'm not playing regularly in the first team in my position i want to go on loan".

is it really a surprise that one is still at the club and the other is at sunderland? ???
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:04 pm

stmichael wrote:you really wouldn't know ALT and FSP were related. they're like chalk and cheese. :D

Related? I knew we signed them both from the same club but I didn't know there was a blood link. If they are related then one of them is adopted surely?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:21 pm

drummerphil wrote:I was watching MOTD2  Sunday night and Alan Hansen said after they showed the highlights from the game,that that was a game we would have lost last season.This season we are up for the fight and much tougher and not many teams will beat us.

I agree Phil.
So far this season, out of 4 games we have converted 2 defeats from last season into draws. We can only improve more on last season in the next two games in which we were defeated last year.
We are achieving what we set out to do at the begining of the season, which is to close the gap on the so called top three. IMO, we will break into that top three by the end of the season, by ousting Arsenal or Manure (probably the latter). We have a sound defence, which is protected by a dogged midfield. I think Reina had more saves to make in the Betis game than all four Prem games - which bodes well. I don't think it will be long before our attack play catches fire and hopefully, we can go on a bit of a run.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:45 pm

We are harder to break down this season and Reina is a major improvement. In my opinion we are only three or four players away from a SENSATIONAL team.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:06 pm

bigmick wrote:
stmichael wrote:you really wouldn't know ALT and FSP were related. they're like chalk and cheese. :D

Related? I knew we signed them both from the same club but I didn't know there was a blood link. If they are related then one of them is adopted surely?

Cousin's appartently.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:13 pm

Paul C wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Cousin's appartently.

FSP is related to ALT's sister-in-law.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:09 pm

I agree with most of whats being said above!
Yes we have had a better start,we are looking very solid home and away which is great!
There are'nt many teams who have the scum visit and are able to limit them to 3 shots and only 1 on target! That in itself is a vast improvement from last year.
The thing that annoyed me on Sunday was Raffas blind faith in Garcia!He should be more ruthless in his substitions.The game was screaming at half time for Garcia to be benched,Sissoko brought on to fill Gerrards position and for Gerrard to be pushed up to where Garcia played in the 1st half.
I honestly believe if  this had been done we could have nicked a win,but we'll never know that now!
Overall im happy with our start,it has been a tough opening but we are still undefeated.Just cant wait till our boys find they're scoring boots and we'll be a great outfit. We should see a couple of goals against Birmingham this Saturday i reckon, and then its the big2 against Chelsea! These 2 games will ask a few questions and will tell a lot of how far we've come from last season!! bring them on!!
66-1120597113

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion