Rafa's conference - 'the press are well informed'

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:53 pm

Perhaps we should try our luck with Carvalho? He was not even on the bench for Chelsea again. Robert Huth (baffling) and Gallas seem to be getting picked ahead of him. I think there is more to this little outburst of his than Chelsea fans would like to think, but would Mourinho want to sell a good player to a direct rival? It’s questionable.

He's a good defender IMO, very strong in the tackle and in the air but lacks pace and can get caught out of position. He hasn't set the world on fire at Chlesea, but at Porto and for Portugal in Euro 2004 he was outstanding. At that time he was one of the best centre-halfs in the world.

Either himself or Andrade would be an excellent signing.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:57 pm

I think with Chelsea because they spend so much money, the big signings just pale into insignificance and you forget exactly how much they paid for 'em. In the case of Carvallho, I think I'm correct in saying they paid £19.8 million for him last close season. I've just re-read that and it's not a misprint. For us, he'd have to be the best defender in the Prem and probably our top scorer aswell to justify that sort of outlay. Out of our league in terms of cost I'm afraid.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:59 pm

Mourinho made a comment yesterday saying that he would not let Carvalho go and if we made an offer for Carvalho Chelsea wouldn't even consider it. Why would they sell a player to their rival?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby mistyred » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:00 pm

Is it not only 9 days till transfer deadline?
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:04 pm

It says on teletext........Rafa has ruled out signing owen again and states "we have 6 strikers at the club"....then it says on next page  Rafa says "one player we are looking at is Dick Kyut"........a striker ?

this lot is getting way too confusing....(takes a pill and goes for a lie down) ???
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:04 pm

Fair point mick, but if Carvalho really kicked upa stink and demanded a transfer then would Chlesea not be better to sell him or loan him out, rather than let him cause disruption?

Mourinho said the other day, speaking in general, something along the lines that if a player wants to leave then Chelsea should listen to offers, as their is no point keeping the player.

And yes Carvalho was signed for £19.8 million, so unfortunately even if he wanted to leave he'd probably cost well over 10 million, as he still has 2 years left his contract.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:05 pm

A.B. wrote:Mourinho made a comment yesterday saying that he would not let Carvalho go and if we made an offer for Carvalho Chelsea wouldn't even consider it. Why would they sell a player to their rival?

Oh ok then , sod it. :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:47 pm

Chelsea won't sell to anyone who has an outside chance of winning the Prem. But they can never expect to get back what they paid for anyone who doesn't work out though - if Carvalho left, it will probably be to Italy or Spain on a lan arrangement, like they did with Crespo
neilE

Postby drummerphil » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:49 pm

if Carvalho left, it will probably be to Italy or Spain on a lan arrangement

would that be on a wireless deal........lol
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:03 pm

drummerphil wrote:if Carvalho left, it will probably be to Italy or Spain on a lan arrangement

would that be on a wireless deal........lol

oops  :blush:
neilE

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:05 pm

BringBackTiti wrote:Names mentioned in the press were Portugese international 27-year-old Fernando Meira from Stuttgart, 20-year-old Danish international Daniel Agger and highly rated German teenager 19-year-old Lukas Sinkiewicz, from Cologne.

i'm sorry but we can do much better than that.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:12 am

stmichael wrote:
BringBackTiti wrote:Names mentioned in the press were Portugese international 27-year-old Fernando Meira from Stuttgart, 20-year-old Danish international Daniel Agger and highly rated German teenager 19-year-old Lukas Sinkiewicz, from Cologne.

i'm sorry but we can do much better than that.

=============================

you never can say never st.mike.....from little acorns.... ???

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion