Marseille vs liverpool - Must be positive

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:11 pm

just though i would air a few thought about the upcoming game against marseille on thursday. everyone knows that it will be a very difficult game after the disappointment of the first leg but i still feel we can progress. we have to score and i'm confident we will. i'm just not confident that we will keep a clean sheet despite two in a row against bottom three sides.

saw marseille get beaten 4-3 at the weekend in their domestic league against rennes. you can't read anything into this though as they got thumped 4-1 in their last match before the first leg. they're nothing special and i fully expect them to attack us from the off. this will suit us because the players we have are ideally suited to playing away from home. their danger man drogba is a doubt for the game but my guess is that they'll risk him whatever. their main playmaker mido is also back.

for us riise is the only major doubt for the game. if finnan is not fit then i can see houllier putting biscan to right back and carra at left back. i also think he'll play heskey (even though he's hardly a scoring threat). i just hope that we are positive and look for a goal early. it's the sort of game where you expect didi hamann to excel because we are going to have to soak up a lot of pressure.

i wouldn't be surprised if the match went to extra time and we nicked it 2-1. just think, we could be playing inter next. that would be like one of the european nights of old!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:15 pm

We do have to go there and score but I can see us getting an early goal and then defending it for 60 minutes. Our best form of defence is to attack.

As for Inter next, well that would be the test of tests. They are a great side.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:17 pm

that's always the danger. we never kill teams off. we're always content with a lead of any sort rather than trying to build on it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:19 pm

I still think that Baros is the better option to Heskey.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:25 pm

i think every liverpool fan would rather see baros start. he need the chance to try and form some kind of partnership with owen. it's no coincidence than owen looks much happier when playing alongside heskey though. i mean owen and baros have never been given a decent run in the side together. we saw what they could potentially be like last season e.g. west brom (a) 6-0 (owen 4 baros 2). the argument is that they are too similar but i think milan can still learn a lot off michael. a little bit more awareness of who is around him would make him a much better player in my opinion.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:30 pm

He may only have 10 games left to learn anything from Owen. I think Owen will be in a Madrid shirt after Euro 2004.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:34 pm

yeah the fact he hasn't already signed a new contract tells you that he doesn't plan on being her next season. i think owen is madrid's most realistic target though. they'll never get henry and schevchenko probably wouldn't go. van nistelrooy is just overrated. i heard ronaldo was going back to italy so they'll almost certainly sign someone.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:38 pm

I hadn't heard about Ronaldo and Italy. Where did that one come from? I thought he'd settled in Madrid.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:43 pm

it's just paper talk in spain. i just question whether owen would get a game ahead of ronaldo and raul. he'd score just as many goals as those two in that side if not more.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:47 pm

It would also release some cash. I hear owen would command a £50 million transfer.

May even then be able to tempt Van Da Vaart away from Man Yoo, and get Klievert to replace Owen.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:49 pm

you'll never get 50m for owen now. 2 years ago maybe. 25-30m would be a good price for him considering he could potentially walk away on a bosman next summer. i hate the bosman ruling, it destroyed football. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:59 pm

I'd take £15 for him at the mo. He just looks so unhappy playing under GH. It has even affected his international play.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:15 pm

I reckon 15million is the max we will get for Michael.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:05 pm

Losing Owen is unthinkable, LFC need to do everything they can to keep him at Anfield. He is a relatively local lad, and I don't see why he would want to leave Liverpool just yet.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:00 pm

It will be a sad day if Owen leaves, he has done a lot for this club and I would hate to see him leave, especially on a f#ckin bosman, that would be a disaster of mammoth proportion!
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion