Gerrard  alonso - Whats your pick?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Luis Garcia » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:45 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:Id like to know your views on who is a more complete player.

Passing ability, tackling, movement, vision, goals, composure etc.

Alonso has great movement, his passing is crisp and often accurate, he always makes himself available for a pass and his off the ball work is admirable. He might not score as many goals as Gerrard, but he more than makes up for it with his vision, passing and the composure which he brings to the side.

Gerrard had a bad season last time. I haven’t seen him in pre season but i hear he has been scoring a lot of goals. I don’t doubt his ability to get goals and run the Midfield. But his passing does go hay vayyya every now and then and IMO he isn’t as level headed as Alonso.

However this season we might see a different Gerrard as he is stable and has signed a contract. We might also see a much improved Alonso who is fully fit after that injury.

What are your views?

Chelsea Forever.

what are you doing on this forum?

go away quickly
Luis Garcia

Postby Luis Garcia » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:57 am

Thing is now, we have Sissoko and hamann to come on for Stevie and Alonso , as happened tonight,

this will be a major factor this season, gives him the chance to rest players.

I think Alonso has more class in his passing.
Luis Garcia

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:50 am

Both are class midfielders but gerrard has a few things in his locker that alonso doesn't. He's a lot more mobile than alonso and can make powerful runs forward. He's also a born leader and he's always capable of giving the team a lift when its most needed. Alonso's lack of pace means that hes slow to get back when the other team counter attacks.

As for the gerrard vs. lampard argument. Gerrard is a better athlete and a better technical player than lampard but he can be guilty sometimes of not taking the simple option and being too elaborate at times while lampard is more intelligent player. If i had to go with one it'd be gerrad. I dont think lampard would've had the character to score goals like gerrards against olympiakos or milan
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:09 am

i think the result and team performance spoke for itself last night.

there will be a lot of out premiership cohorts taking note of our succesfull pre-season and cl qualifiers.

we are fit and raring to go, as they say
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:49 pm

I think Alonso has more skill and guile where Gerrard has more determination and character, together they can be a dream combination
Peter

Postby JBG » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:52 pm

bigmick wrote:I've said before on here that Lampard is the best goalscoring midfielder in the World. He's very similar to Paul Scholes was at his best in the sense that he arrives in the box with perfect timing (although he is more potent than Scholes because his greater mobility means he does it more often, perhaps 15 times in a game). As goals from midfield are priceless, then he who scores them is by definition worth his wieght in fivers and fat Frank is no exception.
All that said, Lampard has largely forgone other parts of his game to become what he is and I think that in pure raw talent, Gerrard is the superior player. Clearly as an athlete, the somewhat freakish Gerrard is incomparable and I think that now his off-field saga is sorted, Gerrard will prove himself the best allround midfield player in the Premiership bar none this term.
Fat Frank will still be the best goalscoring midfielder, that won't change. Neither will the fact that over the last couple of seasons the London man has been the more influencial player. What will happen though is that Gerrard will at last get his act together. That will give you a kind of Keanne/Vierra/Lampad rolled into one. I think in his heart of hearts, even the tubby West Londoner knows that Stevie G is the blessed one.

Good post Mick.

Fat Frank is actually a great athlete with a superb engine, but I guarantee you he won't still be knocking in 15 a season when he's 29 or 30, as his engine will go.

David Platt, Bryan Robson etc all remind me of Lampard and they all ran into problems later in their careers.

Chelsea's style suits Lampard as they way they attack on the counter and the ball breaks in the box Fat Frank always manages to get a boot on it.

As for Scholes, the ginger minger is not really an athlete at all but has superb technique. Lampard wouldn't be on the same level at all in that respect.

Gerrard is a freak of nature as he has a physique and lungs that few other footballers in the world can match. However, unlike Lampard he has more to his game, and I think (injury permitting) that Gerrard will have a far longer career at the top than Fat Frank.

Lampard can be countered. In an England shirt where England can be closed down and not allowed to play at pace, he looks a limited player, as was seen in Spain last year. If Chelsea's counter attacking game can be neutralised - like we did against them in the CL last year - Frank is an average midfielder at best.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:46 am

Spot on JBG.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:16 am

I go for Alonso as he plays with loads of thinking. And delivering that thoughts with precision.
But being the world class midfielder, Gerrard pips ahead. Just watch most of his performances with the REDS. Awesome! Though the national team performances were avg at best.

Every club has a midfield engine. Ours lies with Gerrard and Alonso.
Chelski with Lamp and Mauk,  :censored: with Gilberto and Cesc Frab, Scums with keane and scholes, blue tots have none!

Seriously we have the best centre midfield pairing, each with their own abilities. Only Chel's comes close.

Its what's around these 2, Gerrard and Alonso, that the club needs to be building on.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:25 pm

Well, I'm a supporter of Real Sociedad, was born in the same city of Xabi Alonso, but the heart won't blind me on my pick:

Steven Gerrard.

Anyway I agree the idea that it's unfair to compare them. IMHO they provide different things to the team. I'm pretty sure that Gerrard's statistics in ball recovery and Km run in the pitch are far bigger than Alonso's. Gerrard has also this attitude that keeps the team alive when the things go wrong.

Thus, I think Gerrard makes better Alonso and Viceversa, they're the perfect companions.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:02 pm

I dont know, I think Alonso is a better passer of the ball and he shows a great deal of skill in the games that he plays in

But Gerrard seems to motivate the team a lot more when he comes on ect...

Im glad we have both of them :D
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby mighty mo » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:36 pm

JBG wrote:
bigmick wrote:I've said before on here that Lampard is the best goalscoring midfielder in the World. He's very similar to Paul Scholes was at his best in the sense that he arrives in the box with perfect timing (although he is more potent than Scholes because his greater mobility means he does it more often, perhaps 15 times in a game). As goals from midfield are priceless, then he who scores them is by definition worth his wieght in fivers and fat Frank is no exception.
All that said, Lampard has largely forgone other parts of his game to become what he is and I think that in pure raw talent, Gerrard is the superior player. Clearly as an athlete, the somewhat freakish Gerrard is incomparable and I think that now his off-field saga is sorted, Gerrard will prove himself the best allround midfield player in the Premiership bar none this term.
Fat Frank will still be the best goalscoring midfielder, that won't change. Neither will the fact that over the last couple of seasons the London man has been the more influencial player. What will happen though is that Gerrard will at last get his act together. That will give you a kind of Keanne/Vierra/Lampad rolled into one. I think in his heart of hearts, even the tubby West Londoner knows that Stevie G is the blessed one.

Good post Mick.

Fat Frank is actually a great athlete with a superb engine, but I guarantee you he won't still be knocking in 15 a season when he's 29 or 30, as his engine will go.

David Platt, Bryan Robson etc all remind me of Lampard and they all ran into problems later in their careers.

Chelsea's style suits Lampard as they way they attack on the counter and the ball breaks in the box Fat Frank always manages to get a boot on it.

As for Scholes, the ginger minger is not really an athlete at all but has superb technique. Lampard wouldn't be on the same level at all in that respect.

Gerrard is a freak of nature as he has a physique and lungs that few other footballers in the world can match. However, unlike Lampard he has more to his game, and I think (injury permitting) that Gerrard will have a far longer career at the top than Fat Frank.

Lampard can be countered. In an England shirt where England can be closed down and not allowed to play at pace, he looks a limited player, as was seen in Spain last year. If Chelsea's counter attacking game can be neutralised - like we did against them in the CL last year - Frank is an average midfielder at best.

you can put paul scholes in to the bracket of robson and platt,his goal ratio for the last two season,s has been poor by his standards and manure are suffering from it.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:30 pm

steven gerrard is the best midfielder i`ve ever seen in a red shirt.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:09 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:steven gerrard is the best midfielder i`ve ever seen in a red shirt.

although is love gerrard, you must only be young, as i have had the pleasure of watching many of lfc's legends pulling on the red shirt at first hand and not on DVD re-runs etc.

but your point is very valid  :buttrock
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:24 am

Ithink gerrard is better then alonso there both really good but think gerrard's shootings better determinations better he works for the team he goes up front comes back to defend

so gerrard
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:49 pm

Anyone who thinks that fat frank is anywhere near as good as Gerrard is deluding themselves. Lampard isnt half the player Gerrard is, in fact i cant think of a single thing that Lampard can do better than Gerrard.

Gerrards influence, athleticsm and passing are far superior to Lampards. If Lampard was playing for a team with less quality players around him you would see a huge diffrence in his play, sure he's a good player but he's nowhere near the player the press hype him up to be.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion