A question of effort?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:25 am

A superb performance tonight by the lads. It was great to see good passing, plenty of one and two touch football and the team giving each other options. The confidence clearly came back into aloot of players tonight. Even Igor done some good stuff.

Owen was immense all game and was MoM by far. Setting up the first, scoring the last two and then playing Murphy in who hit the post.

Thats what i've been expecting all season and with the right improvements we can move forward. Heskey done well tonight coming in for Baros.

Baros was dropped due to being a doubt against saints and to be honest if Heskey is going to play like that every week i'd be more than happy for him to keep his place. That has to be a minimum from him though.

Murphy also improved on recent performances which in all honesty wasn't hard, but it was good to see him back to his usual hard working self.

Gerrard was average by his standards but still Steven Gerrard.

Kewell, same as Gerrard.

Carragher looked good on the right, Hyypia looked solid again in the second and Riise done well and played like he had a point to prove.

Hopefully if we can keep this up we'll continue to improve and go in the right direction. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!
115-1073096938

Postby Supermarius » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:48 am

God!! i wanna hit u..i really wanna hit u
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby XSD » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:16 am

Gerard only looked like he was performing less than unusual because since christmas he has been the only good player. Hamann, Owen, Heskey and Murphy all showed they had some bite in them today.
To be honest, Pourtsmouth played a very bad game and even at their best should not be a threat to Liverpool (although we know otherwise). This match doesn't really mean much except Owen remembers how to kick a ball, and I'm sure this will boost his confidence
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:59 am

Doesnt mean much? What about 3 very valuable points. The only negative thing about avheiving 4th position at the ned of the season will be, Houllier will stay.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:34 am

A good performance Stu, and Houllier has been vindicated by publically backing Michael Owen over the penalty incident.

It was frustrating watching Liverpool last night as they gave us a glimpse of what they are capable of and if they played like that in 7 or 8 more matches earlier this season people like me wouldn't be getting on GH's back.

I won't say that we have turned a corner but if we can follow this up with another good performance against Wolves we'll see some confidence returning to the side and we'll start putting pressure on the other teams around us.

Liverpool are a real Jeykll and Hyde team, though: I can still see us dropping some needless points yet this season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby ynwa » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:18 am

what a goal by hamman
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:56 am

Pleasantly surprised last night but it doesn't paper over the cracks that we've all discussed at length......as usual the lads pulled out a one-off performance to relieve the pressure on GH.....he should still go, as should many of his players.

I thought we created a lot more once Diouf came on, that plus his work rate means that he's not one of the players I would dispense with.

Carragher was his awesome best, Riise played one of his better games in the last 18 months - it was a breath of fresh air at one point in the 2nd half to see Owen looking for an option in the box and there was a fullback there (albeit that John Arne bollocksed up the shot a treat!!).

Biscan flatters to deceive against lesser teams, when you have classier players pressurizing him on the ball he will s##t himself and give it away.

Kewell as usual produced his fleeting bits of flare only when we were already 2 up and well on top.

Michael had a good game, with his workrate and enthusiasm significantly up on late.
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:37 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the game as i only get up to Anfield afew times a season. Well worth the 450 mile drive! Great to see Mikey get so much of the ball - He does seem to prefer playing with Heskey. I thought Carra was superb and Hamman and Murphy put in more work than we have seen this season. Pompey were absolutely shocking but you can only beat what is in front of you and they were well beaten. It could have been 5 or 6. Hope we can keep it up on Saturday against Wolves.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:31 pm

Nice to record a win in four attempts against a team who will probably get relegated.

Get a reality check FFS. This is Portsmouth whom we beat. If we beat Wolves at the weekend, Houllier will be talking about pipping Chelsea or Manure for second place. Pathetic.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:28 pm

Good result but our results against the bottom three teams are pretty worrying : -

P5 W2 D2 L1 PTS 8/15

I agree with everything JBG says, but mopping up bottom half/bottom three sides is no indication we are heading in the right direction. Might be good for confidence but we all have a dread in our hearts that Wolves might win at Anfield - it can't be ruled out and that is the problem
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:16 pm

We stuffed Portsmouth reserves,we looked world beaters,Michael Owen is back to his brilliant best ,Heskey was great,Biscan was a class act,Diouf was aresome.......I was at the game and we beat Portsmouth reserves comfortably thats the be-all and end all.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:50 pm

I was at the game and we played exceptionally well and the scoreline should have been more than 3. if it wasn't for hislop and the goals being a few centimeters thinner it could have been 8 or 9. Then there was the BLATENT penalty appeal turned down.

You always have to put a downer on things no matter how postive it was.

Again the stadium was quiet and the "fans" shown there true colours. Whats the point moving to a new stadium when this one only gets half filled?
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:16 am

I'm not putting a downer on anything,I just don't get carried away when we stuff a load of sh##e.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ynwa » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:48 am

bet u stevie g was glad to come off last night after 3 months of hard labber
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:09 am

stu_the_red wrote:A superb performance tonight by the lads. It was great to see good passing, plenty of one and two touch football and the team giving each other options. The confidence clearly came back into aloot of players tonight. Even Igor done some good stuff.

Hopefully if we can keep this up we'll continue to improve and go in the right direction. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!

For christs sake !!!!!!! we were playing Portsmouth !!!
Sure it was good to get the win and the performance was good.......so what ? surely thats how it should be against a team of Portsmouths calibre ?
As for light at the end of the tunnel..careful Stu it might be a train  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion