Middlesbrough scouting mission - Not impressed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:42 am

i went to watch middlesbrough play athletico madrid last night with a mate of mine who is a boro supporter. i thought it would be a good chance to look at boro who we will be playing in 9 days time and see how they are shaping up. i know the old cliche's will always come out about pre-season results not mattering, but i tell you, this is only the case when you're not winning.

IN A NUTSHELL, BORO WERE AWFUL

the fans up here in boro are worried. they've only really brought yakubu (who is a gamble at £7m) and an austrian defender called pogatetz who is subsequently facing a 6 month ban. they are also an ageing team with the likes of hasselbaink, mendieta, ehiogu and southgate all likely to start against us next week. hell, i thought we had a lack of pace in our side but they seem even worse, especially at the back.

fernando torres tore them to shreds, especially in the first half. hell they even made kezman look world class at times :D

i also kept a close eye on pablo ibanez, a defender who we have been linked with in the past. it was hard to judge him on last night's display, but he looked solid enough.

make no mistake about it, boro is always a hard game. as a matter of fact our record at the riverside is dire (last season's display was embarassing). however with pretty much our full strength side back and raring to go, i don't see too many problems if our attitude is right. hell the boro fans are already worried about zenden coming back to haunt them for god's sake, never mind alonso, gerrard, cisse etc.  :D

this was exactly the sort of fixture last season that we would lose about a whimper. it's vital to get off to a good start, as a bad one and our impending involvement in the super cup could mean we find ourselves well adrift from the top by the beginning of september.

bring it on, i can't wait. :buttrock

....................................................................................

Liverpool have announced ticket details and selling arrangements for our first Premiership clash of the season at Middlesbrough on August 13.
We have received a reduced allocation of 2436 tickets due to persistent standing for this ALL ticket fixture priced as follows;-

Adult: £31
Child: £18 (under 16)
Over 65s: £18

Ticket Allocation

Tickets will be available to Season Ticket holders based on attendance at Premier League away fixtures during Season 2004-2005 on the following days:

Attendance at 10 or more games: Friday 5 August - 8.15am-5.30pm and
Saturday 6 August - 9.15am-1.00pm
Attendance at 9 or more games: Sunday 7 August - 9.15am - 1.00pm
Attendance at 8 or more games: Monday 8 August - 8.15am- 5.30pm

The allocation of tickets will be subject to availability and while stocks last.

Tickets will be available for personal application at the Ticket Office, by postal application and credit card bookings on Telephone Number 0870 787 2000. The Fan Card must be presented when applying at the Ticket Office and in the case of postal applications or telephone applications the number must be quoted, telephone bookings will require the applicants address to be confirmed and are subject to a booking fee.

Please do not apply if you do not meet the required criteria, any queries regarding the Fan Card please telephone 0870 220 2345.

We would emphasise to all eligible applicants that no guarantee can be given that tickets will be available to all who apply.

Executive Box holders, Centenary, Premier and Executive members should contact the Corporate Sales Department.

We apologise for the lateness of this notice, this is due to us awaiting a decision from Middlesbrough Council on the number of tickets we would be allocated.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:42 pm

Mick maybe you can be our scout for the rest of the season? :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:47 pm

What was the score st mike, or didn't i read the post properly ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:48 pm

If one of the Boro fans done a scouting mission at  Kaunas 2nd leg, they would feel just as happy i'm afraid.
109-1093441336

Postby H_K_LFC » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:02 pm

lol a think we shud beat them...hav a feeling cisse is gona score lol
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:09 pm

Don't underestimate the opposition, they're in pre-season as everyone else are.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Kid a » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:33 pm

Yeah, I saw the game on TV. I was shocked at how poor Boro played. It's not like Atletico Madrid are the best side or anything either. Their players mostly all looked tired and simply uninterested really, not that much talent shining through. The thing I noticed most is how their keeper (I don't know if he's first choice or anything) has absolutely no ball skills at all. There were times when he would get a pass back from the defence, and I sincerely thought it was going to end up at the back of the net. He looked like he had to put his total concentration in on merely kicking the ball. :D
Kid a

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:33 pm

Cisse vs Southgate.....that will be fun to watch  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:42 pm

we have a poor record against boro at the riverside. i can't rememer when we last won a game over there to be honest! but if they are as bad as you say they are st michael, then i am confident we'll get a win over there.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:19 pm

7_Kewell wrote:Cisse vs Southgate.....that will be fun to watch  :D

don't underestimate southgate. he's still a quality player and when we played boro at anfield near the end of last season he had as decent a shout as anyone for man of the match.
Last edited by andy_g on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:51 pm

we have a poor record against boro at the riverside. i can't rememer when we last won a game over there to be honest! but if they are as bad as you say they are st michael, then i am confident we'll get a win over there.

Fools, don't underestimate them. No team in the world is currently playing well in pre-season, not as well as they should. That includes Boro and that includes us.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:08 pm

when i think of certain teams and particular away grounds its usually the games from twenty odd years ago that i seem to remember for some reason, but the boro away game that seems to pop up in my memory most readily is the 3-3 game when ravanelli got a hat trick against us. that was a first game of the season fixture as well. lets hope we dont concede 3 this time!

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:13 pm

No team in the world is currently playing well in pre-season

bit of a sweeping statment there, i'm sure SOME teams are doing well  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:19 pm

bit of a sweeping statment there, i'm sure SOME teams are doing well

The ONLY team I can think of that is doing well and that's Barcelona
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:35 pm

A.B. wrote:
bit of a sweeping statment there, i'm sure SOME teams are doing well

The ONLY team I can think of that is doing well and that's Barcelona

have you been keeping track of ALL of the football teams in the world or something???
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion