Alonso and gerrard combo - Can they play together

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:42 am

ok, i know gerrard saga is getting up our nerves.. some ppl in the forum says that alonso and gerrard in the midfield would not be a gd combination.. why is it so? gerrard is kind of like a central competitive midfield who likes to attack more.. alonso is the brain in the defensive midfield and dun usually go forward. although logic says that gerrard - alonso combo would be suitable but statistic doesn't shows that..
they dun seem to play well together... or may be it is due to the time they spent on the pitch.
like in the CL final first half.. both did not do a gd job at all dominating the midfield defensively.. sometimes it seems like they are getting into each other's way..
we can be definately sure that alonso is staying, not so sure of gerrard... i am thinking.. wat other players would play well in the midfield with alonso.. Hamman is a gd idea however not long term wise.. wat do u think is the problem with that potential partnership between gerrard and alonso..  :p
Alonso_Rulz

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:57 am

Someone aggressive who can also shoot from far would be great.

Possibble reaslistic target are:
1) Pablo Aimar: Already said in January would love to link up with his old boss.

2) Mikel Ballack who is in his last year and looks like hes not going to renew his contract either and has stated he wants to play in England. he could come for cut price.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:11 pm

bavlondon wrote:Possibble reaslistic target are:

Nice one, that will put everyones mind at rest, a few definitly maybes from Championship manager.....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:19 pm

bavlondon wrote:Someone aggressive who can also shoot from far would be great.

Well if that is the criteria.......lets but Papa Bouba Diop from Fulham then!!!

He is good, but not Liverpool quality. We need a player that has a lot more to his game than being aggressive and being able to shoot from distance (all players can do that anyway, scoring now thats a different matter!), remember if SG does leave it is his abilities that will be lost and it is those that we must try our hardest to replace, but agree though that Ballack is the PERFECT foil for Alonso, IMHO.
76-1115222408

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:57 am

so now with gerrard staying... can we see the potential partnership flourish?
Alonso_Rulz

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:10 pm

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Someone aggressive who can also shoot from far would be great.

Well if that is the criteria.......lets but Papa Bouba Diop from Fulham then!!!

He is good, but not Liverpool quality. We need a player that has a lot more to his game than being aggressive and being able to shoot from distance (all players can do that anyway, scoring now thats a different matter!), remember if SG does leave it is his abilities that will be lost and it is those that we must try our hardest to replace, but agree though that Ballack is the PERFECT foil for Alonso, IMHO.

i would be quite happy with papa bouba diop ACTUALLY! :rasp
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:16 pm

Alonso_Rulz wrote:so now with gerrard staying... can we see the potential partnership flourish?

I think we will because we can all say stevies head wasn't right last season and hopefully he is concentrated on lifting the premiership with us. Xabi carried the team while stevie was suspended or injured take vs Fulham for example he came on and lifted the whole team.

In response to the person who said we need someone who can score goals from long range, well remember gerrard vs boro remember gerrard vs man u and remember alonso's ambitious attempt in the CL final. Don't tell me these guys can't shoot from long range.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:19 pm

GOOD POINT.
HOWEVER.......gerrard and xabi, i'm afraid, did not show they could gel against A.C milan first half.
Kaka ripped em apart. it wasn't until Hammann came on until things picked up!
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:23 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:GOOD POINT.
HOWEVER.......gerrard and xabi, i'm afraid, did not show they could gel against A.C milan first half.

That's a good point

HOWEVER  :D

I think it depends which team your playing because if your playing an attacking team you play hamann to stop the attacking midfielders (such as kaka) whereas if you play a defensive team xabi and stevie look solid together.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:24 pm

GOOD POINT! :D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:26 pm

I'm waiting for the however :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED ANT » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:39 pm

I think they will prove to be the ideal combination given time. World class players adapt to each other and i think the differences in each players style will make them an awesome combination.

Also i think Rafa likes 3 in the middle so add either Didi or this new Sissoko to the mix and not many teams are gonna cope with us.
RED ANT

Postby matt74 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:07 am

i haven't seen sissoko at all, will rafa be able to play all three of them in the same team??? didi can obviously cover the back but who else will want to? SG and xabi prefer to go forward. that sounds like we will either have three attacking midfielders or one that is doing a defensive role that he is not most comfortable with, and as a result won't be happy...
“If you are in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put
it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” Bob Paisley
matt74

Postby Garymac » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:22 am

adamnbarrett wrote:
passmeistro_#14 wrote:GOOD POINT.

That's a good point

HOWEVER  :D

I think it depends which team your playing because if your playing an attacking team you play hamann to stop the attacking midfielders (such as kaka) whereas if you play a defensive team xabi and stevie look solid together.

I dont think Kaka gets the credit he deserves he is world class in every sense of the word and we are not gonna come up against the likes of him every game, and when you put Shevchenko and Crespo infront of him, u know your gonna have your work cut out, Xabi and Stevie will be ok together but we will need someone else in there against quality teams.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:31 am

The European Cup Final doesn't come round that often ( well more than most it does at Liverpool) but in that first half we were outhought and outfought. the introduction of Hamann gave Gerard and Alonso license to playmake a little more so you have to conclude that it is tactics and not whether these two players have the ability that will ultimately answer this question.......

I'd wager a fair few bob though that every othewr team in the prem would love to have the opportunity to play these 2 in the midfield :D

From a personal viewpoint I happen to believe Alonso is the better player and one of the best kept secrets in the prem. I think a lot of people are going to sit up and be made to take notice of Xabi Alonso this coming season :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion