Phil thompson - What do people think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:04 pm

Bamaga man wrote:He has a rather large nose.

:D  :D  :D
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:06 pm

You have now teamleader
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:01 pm

Like Roy Evans, I always felt a small bit sorry for Thommo, as he was caught up in the farce of Houllier's last days, but I hope fans will be kind enough to remember the good times as well, and underneath the sometimes gruff exterior, he's just as much a star struck fan as anyone of us

same here.  Unlike Larro, Tompson always has constructive criticism to say about the team and their performances.  He's a red fan and it was a shame he left with GH because i for one would have liked to see him stay and coach the youth team in some capacity.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:14 pm

rafa offered him a job ,i think it was the reserves or the youth set up at the academy but he turned it down,probably  loyalty for houllier.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:32 pm

thommo was a cracking player and deceptively strong for his build, and had a great career until injuries caught up with him.
there is no doubting his passion for the club and he is certainly liverpool through and through, but the one gripe i have is that during the 90`s after leaving liverpool he was in the press and on the telly constantly telling souness and evans that the performances during their reigns just weren`t good enough and not up to the standards expected of lfc sides and then when he finds himself assistant during some of the worst runs and performances stylewise in liverpools history there`s not a murmur out of him and in fact i`m sure he had a go at ex liverpool players like ian st john for expressing his opinion!! maybe under houllier he realised the job isnt that simple in these days of player power because he`s definately toned down his critical analysis recently.
all in all though he`s a good bloke.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:36 pm

Thommo should have stayed as a member of the backroom staff as his premiership knowledge would have helped Rafa a lot.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:09 pm

cut him and he'd BLEED Liverpool

great bloke but I could never quite forgive him for forcing Robbie out of the club after a clash of personalities (that's my understanding of what happened anyway)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:20 pm

the opposition would always make me laugh with their song of

"He's got the whole world, up his nose..."   :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:14 am

Cut him and he'll bleed Phil Tompson "I've got 41 England caps"
Loves his bloody self but wouldn't have got a cap if he hadn't been playing for the best team in England.

Started off as an average midfielder and was forced into the back four due to circumstances, dead lucky to be in a great side that made him appear a lot better than he was.
His main idea of coaching was "F this"," F that" " I've got 41 England caps, what have you got ?"
Part of The Academy which stunned Raffa when he first came as to its complete lack of professionalism. He sacked the coaching staff for good reason.

Still it makes good folklaw to pretend that Thommo was something special - keep believing it .....?
Last edited by JohnBull on Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:05 pm

Thommo was plunged into the deep end as a 20 year old in the '74 cup final and he hardly gave Malcolm McDonald a kick of the ball.

Kenny Dalglish's goal against Bruges in the '78 european cup final is fondly remembered.....but, Thommo's crucial goal line clearance late in the game after Hansen made a mistake is rarely recalled.

Also, Thompson lost the captaincy (to Souness) and his Liverpool place (to Lawrenson) within a year of lifting the 1981 european cup, yet he took it on the chin, moved to Sheffield United even though he was barely 30 at the time and was never bitter about it.  Thommo didn't spend too long at United before retiring.  I reckon he had no interest in oplaying for anyone but Liverpool.  Similarly, he is clearly not bitter at being part of the Houllier regime last summer.

I also don't blame hm for sueing the club after Souness fired him.  I reckon Souness was at fault and given that David Moores employed him again in 1999, he must have felt the same.

Thompson was a class player and did a good job as coach.....the only fault I have with him is that lousy permed hair cut he wore in the '70's.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:07 pm

i love the old man pinnochio!

legend but can be a nobber
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:17 am

Woollyback wrote:cut him and he'd BLEED Liverpool

great bloke but I could never quite forgive him for forcing Robbie out of the club after a clash of personalities (that's my understanding of what happened anyway)

my sentiments exactly. when they dropped fowler for not apologising about a minor training ground incident was a disgrace, in my opinion you play your strongest team all the time.

he was a decent player in a fantastic team but after the fowler debacle i couldnt wait for him to be taught a lesson.

but he is a red through and through so we have to like him for that and the way he stands up for the team no matter whats happening, i liked his touchline arguments.

i think the funniest was when heskey was being interviewd in the tunnel at anfield just after the final whistle of a game and thomo was arguing with one of their players so heskey stopped speaking and watched was happening in the tunnel, then you heard a classic line, someone shouted " :censored: off big nose'. classic    :D
112-1077774096

Postby Red @ Heart » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:35 am

i like phil thomson. man he cracked me up when liverpool were scoring the goals in the CL final he was smacking the window, did any of you guys see that?

I thought he did a pretty good good job when took the reigns at liverpool while houlier was in hospital, i think we went 13 games unbeaten (correct me if im wrong), i was sad that he left liverpool, there was more to the fowler story than they are letting on, but as i have seen so much in this forum....
THE FUTURE'S BRIGHT THE FUTURE'S RED.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:41 am

Peewee...it is very obvious that you are totally in love with Fowler... :D

I agree that Thommo is red through and through and Ray Clemence was quoted in his then (late 70s) weekly Shoot mag article that "Phil Thompson would walk through fire and water for Liverpool" and that he made a very crucial off-the line clearence in the 1978 European Cup final against Club Brugge which Liverpool won with a sublime Kenny Dalglish goal.

I remember Thommo as a solid and reliable defender who does not quite have the talents of one Alan Hansen or Mark Lawrenson, but did his part in helping the Liverpool cause as both a player and an assistant manager. I suppose the falling out with Graeme Souness may have well been pent-up after losing the captaincy to Souness. I remember reading a Shoot mag all those years ago that Thommo was very disappointed at losing the captaincy to Souness but he had to accept it and did make much of a fuss as he was going through bad form and if I am not mistaken, this period also co-incided with Bruce Grobbelaar being the main 'keeper and Clemence leaving for Spurs, when the defence had to make some adjustments as Grobbelaar's extrovert style created some confusion in the early stages.

I don't really like him or hate him, quite indifferent as I have more affinity to Kenny Dalglish.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:06 am

azriahmad wrote:Peewee...it is very obvious that you are totally in love with Fowler... :D

I agree that Thommo is red through and through and Ray Clemence was quoted in his then (late 70s) weekly Shoot mag article that "Phil Thompson would walk through fire and water for Liverpool" and that he made a very crucial off-the line clearence in the 1978 European Cup final against Club Brugge which Liverpool won with a sublime Kenny Dalglish goal.

I remember Thommo as a solid and reliable defender who does not quite have the talents of one Alan Hansen or Mark Lawrenson, but did his part in helping the Liverpool cause as both a player and an assistant manager. I suppose the falling out with Graeme Souness may have well been pent-up after losing the captaincy to Souness. I remember reading a Shoot mag all those years ago that Thommo was very disappointed at losing the captaincy to Souness but he had to accept it and did make much of a fuss as he was going through bad form and if I am not mistaken, this period also co-incided with Bruce Grobbelaar being the main 'keeper and Clemence leaving for Spurs, when the defence had to make some adjustments as Grobbelaar's extrovert style created some confusion in the early stages.

I don't really like him or hate him, quite indifferent as I have more affinity to Kenny Dalglish.

i hope you understand that i dont love him in a sexual way   :p

if you read hansens autobiography you will see that out of the defender who partnered hansen he actually rated old big nose as the best
Last edited by 112-1077774096 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
112-1077774096

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion