What player position is liverpool lacking of?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:57 pm

I think that we'll see at least one player in defence, midfield and attack, but I think the most important area to strengthen, if we are serious about challenging is the squad as a whole. We need players who are not just adaquate replacements, but good quality players who really want to come into the team if there is an injury and prove themselves.

However I do agree with banana though (what's going on?)that defence is still the main area in which we could do with some major improvement. Someone who can bring the ball out of the defence like Hansen used to, because we're still woefully unimaginative when it comes to that.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:31 pm

We need a left mid and possibly a right mid.  A keeper looks to be on the cards (Reina).  We also need a centre back with pace and a striker to replace baros.

This is the absolute minimum.

We may need another centre mid also if hamann and/or biscan leave
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:03 pm

thomas88 wrote:I mean lack as in

No good cover in case the main man gets injured or banned.

you need to GET a main man before you worry about getting someone to cover for his absence
Last edited by stapo1000 on Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby muttleyp » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:32 pm

Leave Risse in left wing and go for a better tackler of the ball for left back.

Pacey Centre Back

Right back cover (not sure if Raven is ready for it yet)

Right winger

And only get a striker if their of top class and better than what we have got, personaly i would stick with what we have and strengthen the other areas first before looking at a striker.
muttleyp

Postby vlady16.1 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:52 pm

remember the year as a whole

defense is not good enuff -- carra finnan thats it -- hyppia is starting to get exposed and a long term replacement is needed-- left back is a real issue

goaltending -- not good enuff

midfield -- no cover

strikers -- morientes cisse all one needs if playing single striker

so face it to defend we need help but what we have left is quite good -- i still have a gut feeling that chelski will implode, man u is going nowhere so ther's arsenal so next year at least 2nd
:buttrock
vlady16.1

Postby RedorDead » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am

Defence is definitly our weakest area in terms of depth. I'd love to see a long term replacement for Hyypia come in and also a left back. Other than that a striker to replace Baros should he leave and any other players with quality to add depth to our squad.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:28 am

vlady16.1 wrote:goaltending -- not good enuff

stick to watching basketball mate :kungfu:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:39 am

RedorDead wrote:Defence is definitly our weakest area in terms of depth. I'd love to see a long term replacement for Hyypia come in and also a left back. Other than that a striker to replace Baros should he leave and any other players with quality to add depth to our squad.

We don't need a :censored: left back. We've got Riise and Warnock for :censored: sake. :angry:
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:27 pm

The biggest area we are lacking in, is the same area we have been lacking in for years now, Left and Right midfield.

We have had to play Garcia, Riise, Nunez and even Warnock in the wide postions.

Alonso Gerrard

xxx     Garcia      xxx

Morinetes/Cisse

Two quality players in those postions will make the world of differece to us. And I think Rafa will buy in both postions.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:31 pm

I agree.

However the main priorities are a solid goalkeeper who can command his box. We MUST have a top class keeper if we're going to challenge and also we need a striker. However, i believe Cisse, Luis Garcia, Morientes and Sinama-Pongolle deserve a chance fiirst.

So the next two area's are the wide positions. I'd love to have seen Downing and Pennant. The thing about Downing is he's young, classy, used to the english game and will improve ALOT to a top class level i would think. Pennant would have been nice but he's :censored: off to Birmingham, still, i'd settle for Joaquin :D
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:55 pm

On the few occasions I have seen Reina play he has not looked very commanding, and I have serios resrvations about him.

The thing about bringing in a new first team striker is that it would be harsh and almost farcial not to give Cisse and Morientes the chance to prove themselves.

I think Mellor and Baros will be on there way, Pongolle won't be back in training until October, so Cisse,Morientes,Garcia and a new striker to provide options.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taltal » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:22 pm

i didnt count alonso because i forgot him ....my mistake...
but cisse can be first subtitiuein every situation... i dont say he cant be on first team... i just think that morientes is better...
taltal

Postby 116-1104673748 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:01 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
RedorDead wrote:Defence is definitly our weakest area in terms of depth. I'd love to see a long term replacement for Hyypia come in and also a left back. Other than that a striker to replace Baros should he leave and any other players with quality to add depth to our squad.

We don't need a :censored: left back. We've got Riise and Warnock for :censored: sake. :angry:

Warnock has limits himself and can only be a short term backup.Traore is also just a backup player.We can't have Risse playing all matches plus the fact is that Benitez's tactics often burden the flanks.
116-1104673748

Postby kopite » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:23 pm

I feel we need to strengthen the right midfield and goalkeeper
kopite

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:40 pm

Warnocks another Carragher in the making and Riise is a left back. Thats THE ONLY position we're alright and you're calling for a change? :no  :kungfu:
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion