Morientes a poor signing?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thinkpad » Sun May 01, 2005 5:38 pm

stmichael wrote:Morientes hasn't set the world on fire but in all fairness that doesn't surprise me. He does a lot of good things in a game but because he hasn't scored ten goals people are suggesting he's been a bad signing.

Due to his style of play, Moro is not the sort of guy who can make darting runs in the channels, that is the style of Cisse or Baros.

Moro is more like a Teddy Sheringham-alike, in that he uses his head. He is generally a clever player but also good in the air. (see his first goal at anfield what a header that was. And his goal at charlton, was a brilliant shot after quick turn to make space for himself.)

I think "different and strange" is a fair description from a foreigner, coming from a city like Madrid to a city like Liverpool. It would also refer to the style of play, be fair it must take a long time to get used to the prem in the position that he plays in.

We should give him more than 4-5 months. He has more of a chance of success here than fecking Pellegrino or Nunez anyway.

Actually, some of us are disillusioned by morientes not because he doesn't score dozens of goal. We know he need time to adapt (others may claimed otherwise- like world class players no need to adapt/will adapt quickly and anywhere).

Only one question.. How can a string of bad performance especially the dissapearing act during Middelboro game be justifiable? I am not questioning whether he is world class (as some off you will be ****** because that would mean disagreeing with you) or he is going to score a hundred goal. Just that.. simple..
Thinkpad

Postby Thinkpad » Sun May 01, 2005 5:44 pm

Nando wrote:past his best? dont think hes even had a full season in a while other than last season with monaco, dude has played abt 35 games for spain and scored 28 goals, thats amazing, it just shows his class he isnt automatic first choice but when he plays he will deliver the goods

mark my words, he will be raring to go after toning up over pre-season, with a few more deliveries into the box would benefit, do u guys think RVN would profit playing for us? the point is no because our service to our strikers can be abysmal at times, why dont we point the finger at nunez? nando thrives on good service and he isnt getting any

Huh??? Our service to strikers are abysmal only to morientes? But when baros are playing the service suddenly becomes extraordinarily good?? I guess that must be the reason why some of you are slagging baros off for not taking advantage of the service. The service he is getting are world class.. just that morientes are getting the scrape... sheeshzzz
Thinkpad

Postby Thinkpad » Sun May 01, 2005 5:48 pm

A.B. wrote:
After the game against Newcastle I was ready to say Baros was one of the top strikers in the league. He hasn't been the same since he picked up a succession of hamstring injuries

A couple of good games out of how many? He's missed countless sitters in the past few games. Just look at the chances he had against Everton, unbealivable how he missed ever single one of them.

He works hard on the pitch but he needs to score goals, that's his job.

Everybody miss seaters when their confidence are low... Micheal owen missed them countless time but who is counting.. definitely not you. Arsenal's Lundberg missed one 1 meter away from goal with no one infront of him. He must be ******... But I do agree with you that milan need to start scoring.. just need to find a solution on how to make it happen. Baros need someone to take some pressure off him.. I don't mean a girl  :P
Thinkpad

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Sun May 01, 2005 5:48 pm

bigmick wrote:On the question of Louis Garcia (I think that's how you spell it)

its Luis Garcia
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 01, 2005 5:50 pm

i am not sure whats AB's problem....when he disagress with someone's opinion he gets all excited..... responds to tons of posts in a minute (has to be some kind of record), creates another tons of threads.......

is he suffering from hyper-tension or what....?

anyway....AB, pls don't respond...me going off-line now.

have more impt stuff to do. :shifty
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun May 01, 2005 6:05 pm

siti_zaiton1982 wrote:
bigmick wrote:On the question of Louis Garcia (I think that's how you spell it)

its Luis Garcia

Thanks. I was sort of being ironic as in it doesn't really matter how you spell it but I must confess I didn't mean to get it wrong  :D
I think the Thinkpad makes a very fair point and it's one I've aired before. When people say "give him time" what they really mean is "give ME time to make a judgement". Those who feel able to make a call after a dozen or so appearances clearly run the risk of getting it totally wrong, we accept that risk. As I've stated on another thread I was totally wrong about Carragher. If people think that Morientes WILL become that elusive missing link up-front for us they are entitled to say so, but to say nothing other than "I'll need more time to make a judgement" seems like a pointless stance to me.
I've said before and I make no apologies for saying again, this is a forum for the frank exchange of views. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it doesn't make them a complete numpty.
At which point does it become OK to voice an opinion? Is it beginning, middle or end of next season? Or, are his current performances fine and likely to propel us into the top three of the Premiership? How long would we tolerate his current level? Do we just wait indefimately on the grounds that he's a class player? I think we should give him 'till Christmas and if there isn't a significant upturn in his influence on games, move him on.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 01, 2005 6:25 pm

It amazes me how quick we all are to build someone up, then say how bad they are when things don't quite go to plan for them.

If you remember, Riise was superb when he first came to the club but then had a shocking two years to the extent where some people on here were calling for him to be sold. Now he's the best thing since sliced bread. Same can be said of for the likes of Finnan and Garcia,
Last edited by stmichael on Sun May 01, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thinkpad » Sun May 01, 2005 6:30 pm

stmichael wrote:It amazes me how quick we all are to build someone up, then say how bad they are when things don't quite go to plan for them.

If you remember, Riise was superb when he first came to the club but then had a shocking two years to the extent where some people on here were calling for him to be sold. Now he's the best thing since sliced bread. Same can be said of for the likes of Finnan and Garcia,

Hmmm.. Maybe we work for the tabloids.. hehe
Nah, some of us here did move him up ontop of the clouds. But I think I have been reserved on most of my opinions about him until now. Something is not happening for him... Need answers quick...
Thinkpad

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun May 01, 2005 6:30 pm

john craig is right when he says that people need to stop being impatient.

You need to give the guy T I M E, he's only been here a few months.

Some of you are so bloody stupid, some players integration is immediate, and others not so. I have a sense of deja vu when I think of all of the moaners concerning Luís García.

Some of you are being so stupidly and unrealistically demanding of Fernando.

It's not as if Morientes has been here for 3 years and been poor.

And here are just a few more points....

1) He has only just bloody come to England, where the football and culture is err completely different to Spain.....

2) He has been thrown into a reasonably POOR team, that he has had NO pre-season training with, never played with any of them before and what do you guys expect? 50 goals in 3 months? miracles?

2) He gets PATHETIC service and so do the rest of the strikers when they play.

2) He doesn't speak English.

3) He doesn't have anything to prove to anyone - his achievements and the important role he played in all of them speak for themselves. His fellow teammates can only D R E A M of acheiving what Morientes has and he is a perfect role model, example and professional, just look at the way he spurred on Monaco last year.... - AMAZING -

4) He has shown enough already (even under such difficult circumstances) to suggest he will be very good for us.

5) His track record is proven so SHUT UP up and give him a fair chance.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun May 01, 2005 6:36 pm

Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:5) His track record is proven so SHUT UP up and give him a fair chance.

That's what I like on this board, reasoned argument. I ask the question again. Are we happy with his contribution at the moment and would we be happy if he continued in this manner indefinately? If the answer to the above is no, roughly, give or take half a season or so when would we expect a significant improvement by?
Can I please nail this stereotyping of all doubters once and for all. I was, have been and am one of Garcia's biggest supporters on the board. If on doubt, please check back and look. For a while there I was practically the only one with a good word to say about the guy.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thinkpad » Sun May 01, 2005 6:48 pm

Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:john craig is right when he says that people need to stop being impatient.

Some of you are so bloody stupid, some players integration is immediate, and others not so. I have a sense of deja vu when I think of all of the moaners concerning Luís García.

1) He has only just bloody come to England, where the football and culture is err completely different to Spain.....

2) He has been thrown into a reasonably POOR team that he has had NO pr-season training with, never played with any of them before and what do you guys expect? 50 goals in 3 months? miracles?

3) He doesn't have anything to prove to anyone - his achievements and the important role he played in all of them speak for themselves. His fellow teammates can only D R E A M of acheiving what Morientes has and he is a perfect role model, example and professional, just look at the way he spurred on Monaco last year.... - AMAZING -

4) He has shown enough already (even under such difficult circumstances) to suggest he will be very good for us.

This post is funny...
He must not been reading the whole thread when he wrote this..  :Oo:

So my next question to you is how much time? 3 years?
We were able to give Houlier 5 years to screw ourself, 3 years should be ok. Don't get me wrong, I want morientes to succeed. If he succceed Liverpool succeed. Just never like people to come up to tell me how good he was last time. Last time is history, we are hoping for a future.
Thinkpad

Postby Thinkpad » Sun May 01, 2005 6:55 pm

bigmick wrote:
Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:5) His track record is proven so SHUT UP up and give him a fair chance.

That's what I like on this board, reasoned argument. I ask the question again. Are we happy with his contribution at the moment and would we be happy if he continued in this manner indefinately? If the answer to the above is no, roughly, give or take half a season or so when would we expect a significant improvement by?
Can I please nail this stereotyping of all doubters once and for all. I was, have been and am one of Garcia's biggest supporters on the board. If on doubt, please check back and look. For a while there I was practically the only one with a good word to say about the guy.

Great post... This is what my concern is too.
Poor performance by supposedly great player.

I think maybe ( heaven forbids) Rafa made a mistake in buying Pelle and morientes. I think he knows it.
Why I made this conjecture? Because I remember Rafa said how much he learned during the Cardiff cup. About the agression and physical nature of the premiership. He also mentioned that he is still learning and getting to know premiership better. So when he bought those players his assumption were wrong. So naturely his purchases may not measure up to those attributes that he missed. Just a conjecture.. nothing more. No need to get upset and regarding my post. Cheers.
Thinkpad

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun May 01, 2005 7:37 pm

Thinkpad wrote:
Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:john craig is right when he says that people need to stop being impatient.

2) He has been thrown into a reasonably POOR team that he has had NO pr-season training with, never played with any of them before and what do you guys expect? 50 goals in 3 months? miracles?

This post is funny...
He must not been reading the whole thread when he wrote this..  :Oo:

So my next question to you is how much time? 3 years?
We were able to give Houlier 5 years to screw ourself, 3 years should be ok. Don't get me wrong, I want morientes to succeed. If he succceed Liverpool succeed. Just never like people to come up to tell me how good he was last time. Last time is history, we are hoping for a future.

Now you are being REALLY silly....

Did I say we should give Morientes 3 years?

I was trying to say that some people are moaning about him AS IF HE HAS BEEN HERE FOR 3 YEARS AND UNDER-PERFORMED!

Give the guy a proper C H A N C E - Do you know what that means? If not, I'll post you the meaning of the word.

I refer to how good he was last time because it's relevant....

Morientes will help open a very bright chapter for us next year....Have a little faith!

CHEERS!!
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun May 01, 2005 8:12 pm

i am not sure whats AB's problem....when he disagress with someone's opinion he gets all excited..... responds to tons of posts in a minute (has to be some kind of record), creates another tons of threads.......

is he suffering from hyper-tension or what....?

anyway....AB, pls don't respond...me going off-line now.

have more impt stuff to do.

Tons of thread? I've made one thread in the past three months, what the hell are you talking about you tumblesh1t?

On your list of important stuff, add "learning something about football".  You don't rate a player like Morientes world class, a player whose achieved so much in his career. Ask Chelsea fans if Morientes is world class, they should know after his performance for Monaco against Chelsea.

You'll be the first to say that you always knew he was world class once he starts playing well consistantly and banging in the goals.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sun May 01, 2005 8:14 pm

I think maybe ( heaven forbids) Rafa made a mistake in buying Pelle and morientes. I think he knows it.
Why I made this conjecture? Because I remember Rafa said how much he learned during the Cardiff cup. About the agression and physical nature of the premiership. He also mentioned that he is still learning and getting to know premiership better. So when he bought those players his assumption were wrong. So naturely his purchases may not measure up to those attributes that he missed. Just a conjecture.. nothing more. No need to get upset and regarding my post. Cheers.

I don't think you can say that we bought Pellegrino, because we didn't pay anything for him. He was signed for free, for cover in case Hyypia or Carragher need to be rested or if they get injured.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion