Garry macca: rafa was wrong!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:54 am

Former Liverpool midfielder Gary McAllister believes Rafael Benitez was wrong to allow Stephane Henchoz to leave the club.

The Swiss international was off-loaded to Celtic by Rafa during the January transfer window, a decision which not only mystified us, but also the former Scotland skipper.

McAllister said: "I was only at Liverpool for a short period, just two seasons. But, during that time, Stephane Henchoz was an ever present in our back four and I got to know his game well.

"He was solid and consistent. He was not a spectacular player by any means. There are not many oohs and aahs from the crowd when Stephane is on the ball. But that is no bad thing for a defender.

"He just does his job well and with the minimum of fuss. He doesn't get flustered, he doesn't make bad decisions, he doesn't put a foot wrong. In fact, he is a bit of a rock. He is ice cool.

"For some reason Stephane fell out of favour at Liverpool when the new manager came in. I can't understand it. The only reason I can think of is perhaps his age counted against him. Stephane is 30 now and maybe Benitez was looking for a younger player. [ED: The 33-year old Pellegrino?] But he hasn't brought anybody else in to replace him and he has pushed Jamie Carragher into his position in central defence. It doesn't make sense to me.

"Stephane played in just about every game when we won the Treble back in 2001. Along with Sami Hyypia they formed a very solid defence for Liverpool that proved vital to our success.

"He was also helped by having Dietmar Hamann sitting in very close in front of the defence. He dropped back from midfield and formed a triangle with Stephane and Sami.

"That is similar to how Celtic play with Neil Lennon just in front of the defenders. Plus, we played with a back four under Gerard Houllier. That is how Martin O'Neill likes his team to play too. Stephane prefers that and feels comfortable with it.

"Stephane is quiet quite. But he is very much the silent assassin. At that time, I was carrying around my old legs during the week after a game. Believe me, Stephane was a guy I kept well clear of in training. He gets involved in the physical side of the game and that quality will stand him in good stead in the Old Firm game.

"When you are away on a lot of European trips and are preparing for cup finals, you get to know guys quite well. Stephane is a nice guy and will be a good lad for Celtic."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:24 am

And he also banged his vice-captains missus. Thinks he forgot about that one.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:13 pm

Mmmm...might have helped if he had "banged a few goals in ? does anyone know his goal ratio? ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:41 pm

Pretty poor  -  i would guess less than five in his time with us.

it was the right time to move him on - his legs were going.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:34 pm

he scored one goal i think. a penalty in the shoot out this season. he was great for us but was time for him to mopve on unfortunately
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:00 pm

Henchoz had to go. 

Sorry Macca, you are a legend but Rafa was right.
jonnymac1979

Postby laza » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:01 pm

Old team mate sticking up for one of his brother in arms.
Nothing wrong with that though it doesnt make it true
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:43 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Henchoz had to go. 

Sorry Macca, you are a legend but Rafa was right.

I agree. Henchoz is a great man to man marker but he wouldn't be very good in the Zonal Marking system.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby ronmeister » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:39 pm

I think he shouldve stayed better than Carra and Hypia in my eye's.thats in the past though so time to look forward
ronmeister

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:57 pm

ronmeister wrote:I think he shouldve stayed better than Carra and Hypia in my eye's.thats in the past though so time to look forward

If Rafa thought that Henchoz was a beter Zonal Marker than Carra don't you think he would had stayed?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby ronmeister » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:48 pm

Yeah but i'm not Rafa and i have my own opinion it dosnt mean its right but neither does it mean that its wrong.
ronmeister

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:02 pm

I agree with Macca. Henchoz should not have been allowed to leave. He did nothing wrong on the football side, and is way better than Pellegrino. I can only imagine something happended behind the scenes, as some have speculated here. If we had lined up a younger guy to replace him then yeah, but the way it happended just doesnt add up to me. Made no sense at all.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Reds forever » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:19 am

A friend of mine that have good&strong access where LFC players used to hangout(Pub's,Nite Club's),says that he got information from a reliable source that the main reason that Rafa let Henchoz leave the club is that He(Rafa) didnt want the conflict between Henchoz & Hypia to go Further,that will reflect to the team's performance,especially in the defense zone,and that big conflict between our 2 centre back's(Henchoz & Hypia) is about one single woman...!!!and that woman is Mrs.Hypia :O
I'm serius Guy's this is from a reliable Source,
Maybe thats why Rafa have to get rid one of them either Henchoz or Hypia,and as we all know he choose to left out Henchoz from the team :blues:

What do u think Lad's..?  ???

Cheers,
Reds forever

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:40 am

Reds forever wrote:A friend of mine that have good&strong access where LFC players used to hangout(Pub's,Nite Club's),says that he got information from a reliable source that the main reason that Rafa let Henchoz leave the club is that He(Rafa) didnt want the conflict between Henchoz & Hypia to go Further,that will reflect to the team's performance,especially in the defense zone,and that big conflict between our 2 centre back's(Henchoz & Hypia) is about one single woman...!!!and that woman is Mrs.Hypia :O
I'm serius Guy's this is from a reliable Source,
Maybe thats why Rafa have to get rid one of them either Henchoz or Hypia,and as we all know he choose to left out Henchoz from the team :blues:

What do u think Lad's..?  ???

Cheers,

Its been said before.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:43 am

ive not heard this gossip, henchoz banged hyppias' missus??

tell me more
112-1077774096

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion