v Charlton Athletic - Upcoming Premiership game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:32 am

I am not even looking forward to tomorrow nights game, with all this Stevie talk which is depressing everyone, I havent got a good feeling about it atall.
Its all effecting the team and I just hope the players think f#ck you who do you think you are, and play out there skins in every game from now on.
Dont be suprised if its a repeat of the southampton game :angry:
Im in a vile mood this morning sick to death of it all, I really am.
Let Rafa get on with his almost impossible task of getting 4th, with our injuries, and the media shut the bloody hell up :angry:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:44 am

Murphy was good, I miss him. Murphy is arogant, that, I don't miss. Good and bad, whatever will be will be. He's gone, I'm over it. Let's get behind the team.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby IrishRed » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:20 am

I personally don`t miss any of the players Bentiez has let leave the club...Murphy played well under Houllier` system,but Bentiez didn`t fancy him,so was better to let the lad go.....Nunez and Garcia need at least a season to settle....it was the same when Pires went to Arsenal,he had a poor 1st season....

Bentiez knows what he is doing he just needs time.....Injuries have ruined his plans....when you think about nearly every member of the team has been out injuried at some stage this season....Bentiez has been unlucky and I think I done well to have us in postionwe are in at the moment...Get Kewell and Smicer back and at least our attacking options improve...Both players will provide decent crosses for Nando...
IrishRed

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:25 pm

some stuff i tieffed from bbcsport about the game ...innit

If he plays, Jamie CARRAGHER will set a new club record outright for Liverpool by making his 241st Premiership appearance. At present, he holds the record with Steve McManaman of 240 Premiership appearances. (Ryan Giggs of Manchester United holds the record for most Premier League appearances for one club - 397).
If on the field at kick off, Harry KEWELL will be making his 50th Premiership start for Liverpool.
Should he figure, Florent SINAMA PONGOLLE will be making his 50th appearance for the Merseysiders

Charlton v Liverpool 

The Valley
Tuesday, 1 February
Kick-off: 2000 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlton midfielder Danny Murphy is a doubt with a dead leg, but is expected to be fit to face his former club.

Kevin Lisbie and Chris Perry are still sidelined but Mark Fish is in contention, while Graham Stuart has joined Norwich.

Liverpool will be without suspended Dietmar Hamann so Igor Biscan may start in a central midfield.

Spanish winger Antonio Nunez is still banned and Vladimir Smicer is not yet fit after his knee operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlton (from): Kiely, Hreidarsson, Young, Fortune, El Karkouri, Hughes, Holland, Murphy, Thomas, Jeffers, Bartlett, Konchesky, Kishishev, Rommedahl, Euell, Andersen, Fish, Johansson.

Liverpool (from): Dudek, Finnan, Carragher, Pellegrino, Traore, Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Biscan, Riise, Morientes, Baros, Carson, Hyypia, Warnock, Potter, Raven, Le Tallec, Mellor.

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley
"It is not Danny Murphy versus Liverpool, or him versus Benitez. It is nothing to do with that - he is part of our side," said Curbishley.
"I might have a chat with him tomorrow, but there will be no special arrangements. It is another game.

"He needs to enjoy it and play his normal game."

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
"It's been one of the worst weeks I have had since I have been at this club.
"In the aftermath we need to regroup, make sure we stick together and play as a team because we were not playing as a team in these games.

"My performances in those games were really poor and not up to the high standard I set myself."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHARLTON ATHLETIC will leapfrog Liverpool, if they claim a third successive home League win over the Merseysiders. That could put them fifth - handily placed for European football next season.

Alan Curbishley's side lie fourth in the Premiership's "Last Six Current Form" table, with 10 points from the possible 18. Those points come from achieving the 'double' over Everton, defeating Birmingham 3-1 at home, and drawing 0-0 with Southampton.

The Addicks won this corresponding fixture 3-2 last season when Kevin Lisbie posted his first senior hat trick.

LIVERPOOL need to recapture their winning form in the Premiership and close the gap to four points on fourth placed Merseyside rivals Everton, if their to stay in pursuit of a Champions League qualifying spot.

A 0-1 home loss to Manchester United and 2-0 reverse, away to Southampton, has seen Liverpool tumble to back-to-back League defeats for the first time this season. Now they're in danger of losing three on the roll for the first time in the top flight since between 28 September and 18 October 2003, that sequence beginning with defeat at the Valley.

Outstanding strikes from John Arne Riise and Luis Garcia gave Liverpool a 2-0 victory in the reverse fixture in October and set them on course for a first Premiership 'double' over Charlton since the 2001/02 season, a third over them in the Premier League, and 11th since League conflict between the two commenced in 1936.

Referee:

Neale Barry (Lincolnshire)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Club stats
Fixtures
7th 37 points
Highest achievable after the Tuesday's matches: 5th
Lowest could fall: 7th

Like Liverpool, drawn four Premiership matches. No other clubs have finished level less often.
Won all eight Premiership matches, in which the lead was held at half time.
League goals scored by 13 different players. Only Newcastle have a longer list (16).
Four players have figured in every one of Charlton's Premiership games this season - more than any other club.

Won three of the last four, and four of the last six home Premiership games.
LIVERPOOL

Club stats
Fixtures
5th 37 points
Highest achievable after the Tuesday's matches: 5th
Lowest could fall: 7th

Won 11 of 24 Premiership games under Rafael Benitez.
Five goals short of totalling 800 all time in the Premiership.
Third highest scorers in Premier League history, behind Manchester United and Arsenal.
Completed only four Premiership draws this season. No club has finished all square less often.
Won all five top flight games in which clean sheets have been kept.
Lost all eight in which failed to score.
Yet to participate in a goalless League game this season, and gone 28 Premiership matches since a no score draw (home to Fulham on 17 April).
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:33 pm

Kewell,La Tallec and Smicer could all start tomorrow.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:34 pm

could proove a great attacking side AB. im almost looking forward to it
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:48 pm

I'm looking forward to it as well but I won't be able to watch it.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:51 pm

me neither. wil try to get it on the radio if i can. if we play a good attacking way though we can do well i think
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:07 pm

I got a good feeling about it
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:38 am

One of my best mates is an addicks fan, we have to win or i'll never hear the end of it.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:43 am

It's a must win, if we don't win tomorrow fourth place will be further away even more. You either win or you don't, draw is not good enough.

The players know whats at stake so I think they will play superbly, or I hope they will
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:23 am

every game is a must win.... pls..
Alonso_Rulz

Postby Thinkpad » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:39 am

Let me see...
We could lose by two goals..
Liverpool 0 - Charlton 2

We are still rebuilding, and still not gelling.
Charlton is currently playing some good flowing football.
Thinkpad

Postby The_Rock » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:23 pm

Baros on the right ???

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html

Rafa: Raise your game and worry Blues Feb 1 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ admitted his Liverpool players must raise their game for their final 14 Premiership games if they are to secure Champions League qualification.

The Reds travel to rivals Charlton badly in need of an upturn in league form as they trail Everton by seven points.

Consecutive defeats in the league to Manchester United and Southampton have left the club facing a tough task to close the gap and Benitez knows the stakes are high.

"When it's three points for a win, a seven point difference is a big gap, but not an impossible one," said Benitez today.

"The main objective for us at the moment is to be a lot more consistent. We need to play better at home and away because if you can put a run together, even winning three games in a row, we know we will be a lot closer.

"We need to get into a position where those above are watching us and worried because we are only just behind. Then we can put more pressure on.

"The most important thing is to start playing well more regularly.

"There are a lot of games where we have played good football. But if you are not consistent you make things more difficult for yourself.

"Now we must try in the last 14 games to improve. There will be more preparation time in between games which I think will help us. I'm sure the squad will show their best form now.

"To be in the top four, you have to have that consistency."

Benitez's biggest problem tonight is lack of personnel.

Didi Hamann and Antonio Nunez are suspended, while Florent Sinama-Pongolle has joined an injured list which still includes Chris Kirkland, Josemi, Xabi Alonso, Djibril Cisse and Harry Kewell.

Vladimir Smicer has been included in the first team squad for the first time this season, while youngster Darren Potter also travelled to London.

Igor Biscan is set to partner Steven Gerrard in mid-field, with Luis Garcia in line for a recall, possibly as a deep striker behind Fernando Morientes with Milan Baros staying on the right flank.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:22 pm

BTW  Live radio commentary on BBC London tonight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/sport/localradio/index.shtml
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion