Nunez out!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:27 pm

bigmick wrote:wasn't Baros absolutely fantastic when he came on? I don't think anybody else has mentioned it but he did what none of the other seniors could manage, he was head and shoulders the best player on the park. Defo' one of the success stories of this season.

What did he do BigMick, bring the shampoo for the showers !!

Seriously, I am not sure anyone came out of last night with any positives. For me it go's down as mistake on Rafa's part to field an understrength mid-field, but then there is only Hamman and Riise who could have played, I would not have risked an injury to SG.
Last night was a psyclogical and financial bummer !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:36 pm

Sorry I forgot, that this was a Nunez topic. I actually thought he struggled to get into the game, he was getting some poor balls and a fair amount of heavy treatment. On a cold January night, in Burnley, coming from Spain, it must have been like being asked to play football down a coal mine!
I actually thought when he did manage to pick up a decent ball that he gat to the by-line and put in one or two good crosses from difficult positions - no one there to use them though.
But like all players he has to cope with the wind-up and live with frustration, whilst retaining his passion.
Tough call, I felt like having a poke at someone in the pub, just to relieve my angst, but then I calmed down and looked at the barmaids cleavage instead.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby el_stinger » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:37 pm

Redrider wrote:Seriously, I am not sure anyone came out of last night with any positives. For me it go's down as mistake on Rafa's part to field an understrength mid-field, but then there is only Hamman and Riise who could have played, I would not have risked an injury to SG.
Last night was a psyclogical and financial bummer !!

Financial bummer??

What as opposed to the raggy clothes the Champions League has to offer the winner of the premier competition?

Move on, FA cup is no longer a premier competition other than its history.

Europe has moved these cup competitions as third tier priorities, we better do the same. FA Cup is a mickey mouse cup, has no meaning, Champions League is where its at, and seriously, if you want the club to win the FA cup because of its financial glory, you sir, are one deluded individual.

By the way, Rafa had faith in his players, they didn't repay him, stop bashing our coach, what you want him to do, go out and play for you as well??
Grow up, FA and Carling cups is for bringing up the youngsters, get over it.

Rock n Roll, Deal with it.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:52 pm

There was £5m to be made out of gate receipts and TV money from a run up to the semi-finals !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:37 pm

i read somewhere that routledge is up for sale as he's refused to sign a new contract at palace. might be worth a look. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:55 pm

On the subject, the FA Cup winners get around £500K.

You get an extra £500K for every place you finish up the league further.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:23 pm

Leon, don't forget the money is in gate receipts and TV appearances.
Circa £1m every Anfield full house. plus £250k to £500k each time from TV,depending how many countries buy the transmission. We could easily have pulled £5m from another 4 rounds. Chikin' feed to Chelsik' and Manure, but could have been a new goalie for us !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 109-1105722616 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:51 pm

andy_g wrote:its pathetic to cheer that one of our own players is out and unavailable for games. unbelievable the sh!te that comes out from people in the wake of a loss.

stops before getting insulting.

this board is full of part time supporters who talk out their ******.  nunez was bang out of order and we know that, but to say that that the other players was rolling around too much does not justify what nunez did, as for being made up over the suspension i think you lot are sad, because when im at the game it will upset me that we dont have a full team out(forget last night, the ideology behind  last nights team choices is discussed in other threads, repeatly) and you idiots are glad to see him suspended
109-1105722616

Postby coolsobs » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:31 pm

I actually thought that nunez played alright against burnley, i mean you could tell he was giving it his best and his dtermination reminded me of carra. I was quite impressed.
coolsobs

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:20 pm

Yeah its a strange one with Nunez. I doubted his ability after a couple of games and got slaughtered, "give him time", "remember Pires" etc etc, you know the drill. Anyways, I'm still unconvinced but I do think he is showing a glimmer of something here and there. One or two posters on here whose opinion I respect have come out and said they think he'll make it so I'm happy to wait. I thought he was probably the best of the fully fledged first-teamers who started last night and he is getting slagged to the rafters. I'll have to have a mess around with the tuning on my SKY plus 'cos maybe I'm watching a different game or something. Whether or not you rate either of them, Garcia and Nunez are always going to take longer to settle than Alonso, Pelligrino and Morientes purely because of the way they play. Notice that Mourinho, mindful of the fact that he hasn't got that much time, only bought players (Tiago, Cannivaro, Drogba) who are somewhat hardier and would settle immediately. Our boys will take a little longer but I have absolutely no concerns about Garcia, and Nunez may yet make something as well in my view.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:52 am

Agree Bigmick, time is all some of the spanish lads need - Nunez in particular to me looks like he is improving wih every game and Garcia certainly has the class to be a major success, given the right coaching. Alonso has obviously already proved that he's up there with the very best in Europe. Josemi? Dunno, jury's still out on him but hope he recovers quick from injury.

In the past I've always stood up for Traore as being one of Houllier's signings who is worth keeping, particularly as we'd only get peanuts if we sold him and he's a decent squad member but I'm not so sure now. Not because of last night's howler, its just to me he seems to be the only player who hasn't really improved under Rafa. If you look at players such as Biscan, Finnan etc there's a marked improvement under his stewardship but Traore's made virtually no progress in my opinion.

Morientes will be an inspired signing I think, just from 1 appearance he looks like he will fit into the prem like hand in glove. Personally I can see Rafa building our attack around him for the next 2-3 years. A brilliant piece of business at £6.3m

Pelegrino (OK he's not spanish but still one of Rafa's latino boys) I don't know yet - not seen enough of him to really pass any comment 

Gutted about last night still, but the future's bright - the future's red :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:35 am

stmichael wrote:i read somewhere that routledge is up for sale as he's refused to sign a new contract at palace. might be worth a look. ???

I would go for him, he is young and i have been impressed with him when i have seen him play for Palace this season, wouldn't be too expensive either, may well indeed be worth a look  ???
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:20 am

i havent been on here for 3 days
what happened to nunez?
i only heard about what happened at the game from my mom :Oo:

can i have some info plz
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:11 am

A couple of defeats and all the usual suspects come out the woodwork.
I'm not at all pleased that Nunez is unavailable.  While he may not have burst on the scene like Alonso & Garcia - he was definitely providing us with some width - and putting some decent balls in.
While I don't condone his actions against Burnley - I definitely think there was a bit provocation their.  Some hefty challenges going in on him - and the sending off - I thought the Burnley player fouled him - and then appeared to have a kick at him - we've all seen players react to that sort of treatment.  As others have siad - it's a learning process for him.

I took a lot of stick at work for the loss in the FA Cup - but on reflection I'm not overly worried we are out of it - and the boss doesn't seem to either.  We simply do not have the squad to compete in all competitions.

Bring on are next 5 Premier fixtures and the C L tie.  Then lets take stock of where we are.
No doubt if that all goes our way, the same hypocrites will be praising the tactics of Mr Benitez and the team performance to HIGH HEAVEN
SouthernScouser

Postby A.B. » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:35 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:i havent been on here for 3 days
what happened to nunez?
i only heard about what happened at the game from my mom :Oo:

can i have some info plz

Nunez elbowed a player in the FA Fixture and was sent off, he's suspended for the next three games.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion