Nunez - Getting better?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:07 pm

A.B. wrote:
Many of his crosses being nothing but hopeful, sometimes he crosses without even looking to see who's in the box. This leads to many of his crosses finding no one in the box to receive them, and how many times have his crosses ended up floating into the stands.

THERE IS NOBODY IN THE BOX TO RECIEVE THEM. None of our players are good in the air therefore when Nunez crosses the ball none of our players attempt to get a header. His job is to cross balls into the box to our player but our players are no good in the air but with Morientes I'm sure that will change.

That should change now we have Morientes AKA Nando!!  :D  :D
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:09 pm

well if theres no one in the box you dont cross the ball it's as simple as that, i stated that the arrival of morientes could benefit Nunez, but the lack of an aerial threat dosn't give him an excuse for his blind crosses.

Even when there are  players in the box at times but nobody ever attempts to get in the air.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:14 pm

True A.B., alot of our players seem to be afraid of heights.  John Toshack helped to make Steve Heighway a Liverpool legend by getting on the end of so many crosses.....hopefully Morientes will provide a similar outlet to Nunez.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:15 pm

A.B. wrote:
well if theres no one in the box you dont cross the ball it's as simple as that, i stated that the arrival of morientes could benefit Nunez, but the lack of an aerial threat dosn't give him an excuse for his blind crosses.

Even when there are  players in the box at times but nobody ever attempts to get in the air.

really i dont think so, look the problem ive noticed with nunez is that he crosses the ball into the box without actually looking to see if anyone is running in there! whats the point of that, it's just wasting possesion. Your talking as if his crossing has been perfect, but thats simply not true, granted his crossing has improved as he has played more games but it's still pretty wayward at times
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:26 pm

Baros runs towards the goal and shoots at the goal without looking up, most times [i.e. vs Norwich] he scored without looking at the goal.

Nunez gets the ball and he sees his team mates going into the box, he runs down the flank and crosses without looking if anybodies in the box because he has saw his team mates run into the box but when our players are in the box they don't try to get on the end of it. That's why we have not scored one goal with a header.

Finnan is also a good crosser of the ball and even though he made good crosses there was simply no threat from our players in the air because they seem to be afraid of the air like Sean pointed out.

I think Rafa's a great manager, he had intentions to sign Nunez before the Owen deal so he did not just sign Nunez for the hell of it.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:38 pm

i didnt say he just signed nunez for the hell of it did i ???  like i said the arrival of morientes will help nunez because there is now a player who is more capable of scoring headers and who will be in the box more often, however this does not excuse the fact that a lot of the time nunez does hit and hope balls into the box, you cant blame baros or any other striker for not putting these chances away if there not there to receive the ball.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:40 pm

A.B. wrote:Finnan is also a good crosser of the ball

are you watching the same player as me? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:28 pm

are you watching the same player as me?

At times he may not be but I think he has done a fairly nice job on the flank everytime he's been played there.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 109-1105722616 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:27 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
A.B. wrote:

really i dont think so, look the problem ive noticed with nunez is that he crosses the ball into the box without actually looking to see if anyone is running in there! whats the point of that, it's just wasting possesion. Your talking as if his crossing has been perfect, but thats simply not true, granted his crossing has improved as he has played more games but it's still pretty wayward at times

now we have got morientes it means that he has somebody to aim for
109-1105722616

Postby parchpea » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:49 pm

I think its a poor excuse to say no ones on the end of the crosses. Nunez is useless thats the problem. Why the hell is he hitting the ball into an empty penalty box for a start. Hes got one idea, thats to scamper head down along the touchline and if he keeps it in play, belt the ball into the area. On the odd occasion he hits the area its aimless as he doesnt look up. Mostly its an easy catch for the keeper or into the stand. I will hold my hands up if he turns into a star but right now this guy is hopeless.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby 109-1105722616 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:52 pm

parchpea wrote:I think its a poor excuse to say no ones on the end of the crosses. Nunez is useless thats the problem. Why the hell is he hitting the ball into an empty penalty box for a start. Hes got one idea, thats to scamper head down along the touchline and if he keeps it in play, belt the ball into the area. On the odd occasion he hits the area its aimless as he doesnt look up. Mostly its an easy catch for the keeper or into the stand. I will hold my hands up if he turns into a star but right now this guy is hopeless.

he has been guilty of that this season, but now he appears to have  started to look up a bit more in recent games. he is still young and i trust that Rb knows how to get the best out of him
109-1105722616

Postby Huck » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:10 am

As i said ...Nuñez is not  a star...here he didnt play for Real Madrid many times...he was a kind of "future project" to substitute Figo as he is reaching the end of his career...but rafa   liked him and Florentino(the president of Real)included him in the  pay for Owen.As every player coming from lower categories in real Madrid, he seems to be able to become a great player...but thats it..he seems to...he is not today so...if LFC doesnt have a better option he can work on the right wing but he can be demanded the same as the rest of ur stars...its just my opinion(as Im a supporter of Real and i know  Nuñez years ago)
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion