Don't lose hope yet

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby akumaface » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:46 am

One thing I have noticed in games that we'd lost was the lack of communication we had on the pitch. Look at the game last night, there were numerous time we had lost the possession by having the opposite player came from behind our player and took the ball away. That kind of turnover really signal that the players aren't talking on the pitch at all. I don't reallyknows what happened there and our poor performance may be contributed from problems between players. Of course, its only my guess. If the fans could notice the poor performance of Kewell, do you think the players on the team wouldn't have notice it as well? I guess that might be the kind of problem we are having. Hopefully, Rafa could regain control of the dressing room and has everybody on the same page quickly.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:26 pm

A.B. wrote:The reality is that things will not happen over night. Kewell is in a program that will supposedly help his fitness but we will not see the results anytime soon...

I'm quite tired of fans writting us off everytime we lose but when we win we are on the top of the world and are expected to win all games in the future.

Like I say - look at the strides Chelsea have made this season. It would be a fool that suggested this was 100% down to the money they have available. People can talk about things taking time all they like, but the bulk of Mourinho's team were already at the club, and he's managed to integrate this year's new arrivals more or less immediately.

I'm not into writing the team off every time we lose, but what I'm not happy about is the fact that when we blow hot, we look like a team waiting to explode, but when we blow cold, we're actually quite appalling. The performances against GAK, Olympiakos, Birmingham and Middlesbrough were simply not acceptable, and I'm discouraged by the fact that changes haven't been made to the team in the wake of these performances to show the underachieving players that they can't get away with playing like that. Dudek's the only player I can think of that has been punished in this way, and for me that's really disappointing.

I actually think Sami's done enough in recent years to justify a bit of tolerance to a run of bad form, but the likes of Kewell and Josemi really should make way for players coming through when they play poorly on a regular basis. If we're really to make strides and bring the standard of the squad up, then we shouldn't keep hungry players sidelined in favour of those that simply aren't doing the shirt justice.
ivor_the_injun

Postby vlady16.1 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:39 pm

what saddens me after watching the game yesterday is the lack of options for rafa- he's playing his best 11 and in reality that's all he has had -- gerrard comming back gives him wiggle room -- other than him face it -- warnock - not ready for prime time yet: sinama probably never ready: mellor - not ready: biscan = best player in the world who is not playing

face it all the startes know they are basically untouchable therefore the hot and cold -- hopefully stevie can stick a boot up their collective tushes

under the transfer window regs can we sign a striker who is out of contract and b) if so is there anyone who can play for a month until the january window?
vlady16.1

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:56 pm

vlady16.1 wrote:what saddens me after watching the game yesterday is the lack of options for rafa- he's playing his best 11 and in reality that's all he has had -- gerrard comming back gives him wiggle room -- other than him face it -- warnock - not ready for prime time yet: sinama probably never ready: mellor - not ready: biscan = best player in the world who is not playing

face it all the startes know they are basically untouchable therefore the hot and cold -- hopefully stevie can stick a boot up their collective tushes

I disagree. I think Warnock's worth an extended run in place of Kewell, I think Whitbread's worth a start alongside Carragher if Sami's form doesn't take an upward turn, and I definitely think we should be starting games with both Mellor and Pongolle while we're without Baros. I don't think either of them are worth trying with Garcia playing just off them, so I say throw them in together and let them sink or swim.

We can't realistically complain about not having the players if we're not prepared to let players that have impressed in things like Carling Cup games to get a run in the first 11. People were saying "give Kewell time" a year after we signed him, so why are we dismissing Mellor as an option when he's only had something like 30mins of Premiership football this season?
ivor_the_injun

Postby adayinthelife » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:53 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Like I say - look at the strides Chelsea have made this season. It would be a fool that suggested this was 100% down to the money they have available. People can talk about things taking time all they like, but the bulk of Mourinho's team were already at the club, and he's managed to integrate this year's new arrivals more or less immediately.

They finished 2nd last season and at this stage last season they had an identical record in the league. ???
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:09 am

adayinthelife wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:Like I say - look at the strides Chelsea have made this season. It would be a fool that suggested this was 100% down to the money they have available. People can talk about things taking time all they like, but the bulk of Mourinho's team were already at the club, and he's managed to integrate this year's new arrivals more or less immediately.

They finished 2nd last season and at this stage last season they had an identical record in the league. ???

Exactly. Because of the funds Chelsea have Mourinho bought the players he need to be successful in his first year. We are not in the same situation. They also bought all their players during pre-season and had time to gel while we got Alonso,Garcia during the second gameweek of the season who didn't play until we faced Bolton.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:23 am

akumaface wrote:One thing I have noticed in games that we'd lost was the lack of communication we had on the pitch. Look at the game last night, there were numerous time we had lost the possession by having the opposite player came from behind our player and took the ball away. That kind of turnover really signal that the players aren't talking on the pitch at all...

I noticed that too...not just last Sat but in most away games (but especially apparent vs Boro). Players don't seems to realise where are the opponents around and behind them and tend to hold on to the ball and ponder what to do next and subsequently losses possession. Yes, we could do with better communication on the field...perhaps a language barrier?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:41 am

A.B. wrote:
adayinthelife wrote:

Exactly. Because of the funds Chelsea have Mourinho bought the players he need to be successful in his first year. We are not in the same situation. They also bought all their players during pre-season and had time to gel while we got Alonso,Garcia during the second gameweek of the season who didn't play until we faced Bolton.

We got 3 new addition to our squad but also losses KEY players in the off season. And injury to our strikers and Stevie also come as a blow trying to play a settled team week-in, week-out. Imagine having a fit Stevie, Baros & Cisse running at Boro's defence yesterday...
We do not have the funds to buy a strong squad and solid cover for every position. The scums and Chelsea have 4 or 5  strikers who can score on regular basis. Arsenal have strong midfielders who can contribute goals as well (Ljungberg, Pires and Vieira) besides the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Reyes and now van Persie while we do not have these luxuries...never will unless we get new financial injection. Rafa can only do so much with some of the luggage he is left with, so I can't say the result yesterday really come as a surprise to most of you. Sad...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:40 am

Santa wrote:Yes, we could do with better communication on the field...perhaps a language barrier?

can't be a language barrier. it doesn't take a genius to learn "Man on!" or "look out behind you ya dozy t**t!"

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:41 am

andy_g wrote:
Santa wrote:Yes, we could do with better communication on the field...perhaps a language barrier?

can't be a language barrier. it doesn't take a genius to learn "Man on!" or "look out behind you ya dozy t**t!"

:D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:53 am

Who is losing hope? Anyone who thought Rafa was just going to wave a golden wand and hey presto we got instant championship side really needs stronger drugs then what they are currently taking.
We lost a few battles and probably going to lose a few more but im more hopeful of a brighter future then what i was  7 or 8 months ago and the season is far from over
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:06 am

amen that!

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Si » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:45 am

What a shame we didn't get Mourinho. He has instantly improved his side, where as it will apparently take us 4 or 5 months!!
Red_Si

Postby maximus » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:41 pm

Red_Si wrote:What a shame we didn't get Mourinho. He has instantly improved his side, where as it will apparently take us 4 or 5 months!!

Are you for sure!! or do you resemble the character in your avatar  :angry: Mourinho!!  :angry: somethingh I think to do with the fact he has an unbelievable enviable endless pot of money to spend  :angry:

FFS some people make me mad with comments like that  :angry:
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:46 pm

Totally agree. the Mourinho comment is absolutely staggering. Incredible. Particularly when you consider the fact that it is inaccurate. they have the same number of points they had last season at the same stage with a worse goal difference. I give up.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion