McManaman, Fowler and Jones: Discuss

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Between 17 and 20 Owen was one of the best players in the world. He took our penalties when he was 18 so that tells you about his character. His greatest asset was his cool finish and his amazing pace. Once he got to 21 he started to fill out and lost that whispy body which allowed him that speed that no defender was able to deal with. After 21 he always was a good finisher but he was not as fast and he went downhill after that. I know he had bad injuries but I think bulking up was his downfall as he lost a step, the injuries did not help. His best days were as a red and he never was able to reach that level again despite going to Real. Was never a die hard red so he will never be a legend which he could have been had he stayed. He was my favourite player back then and he was a complete dissapointment when he left, going to the scum was just below the belt.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paddock Wool » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:58 pm

I'd think it would be benificial. Quite clever really. Standing next to Fowler, Suarez is a nobody. Are they good coaches though? If I remember rightly, all three took a keen interest in helping out coaching the kids when they were players.

suarez a nobody? give me suarez over fowler any day. suarez is nuts but he`s one of the best players i`ve seen in a red shirt.[/quote]

Can't quite believe I've just read this post........

Suarez is an excellent footballer, but Fowler in his prime was unplayable. Scored goals from everywhere, diving headers, left foot, right foot, in the box, out the box. In terms of status with the fans Fowler is a God. I'd take Fowler in his prime everytime over Luis.
Paddock Wool
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Paddock Wool

Suarez is an excellent footballer, but Fowler in his prime was unplayable. Scored goals from everywhere, diving headers, left foot, right foot, in the box, out the box. In terms of status with the fans Fowler is a God. I'd take Fowler in his prime everytime over Luis.

suarez is a far better player than fowler and calling fowler god is embaressing imo, you`d think this club had never had a decent striker before the 1990`s.
the likes or rush and hunt scored twice as many goals as fowler did, they did the business for this club for a decade in high pressure situations too like title run in`s and european cup semi finals etc
fans who over rate fowler are usually born from 1980-1990, they never saw the true greats
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm

I saw all the greats through the late 70's and early 80's and Fowler was up there with the best.

The nickname God was more because of his connection to the fans

Fowler was never overrated - outstanding striker IMO
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:43 pm wrote:I saw all the greats through the late 70's and early 80's and Fowler was up there with the best.

fowler was a very good player but he does get over rated by some fans, they think he was the best striker to play for this club which is ridiculous.
still a cringeworthy nickname as well, just sounds like something soccer AM would come up with to me.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:32 pm

It certainly wasn't cringeworthy on the stands but it was more tongue in cheek and not to be taken with too much seriousness.

I believe he was one of the most naturally gifted strikers we have had - for me he had the lot but was cruelly denied by his knee injury.
Benny The Noon

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:18 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:00 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:43 pm wrote:I saw all the greats through the late 70's and early 80's and Fowler was up there with the best.

fowler was a very good player but he does get over rated by some fans, they think he was the best striker to play for this club which is ridiculous.
still a cringeworthy nickname as well, just sounds like something soccer AM would come up with to me.

Nail on head.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the lad, you could see he was all for the club and the celebrations over the years were great aswell as some of the goals, especially against the Mancs... but for me not the best we've had.

Owen, Torres, Rush and Luis all have/had more ability and were better players. Can't really comment on Hunt etc.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Cracking player. Would have been interesting to see just how much better he would have been in the dream teams of the 70's and 80's.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:46 pm

StuYesThatStu » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:18 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:00 pm wrote:

Nail on head.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the lad, you could see he was all for the club and the celebrations over the years were great aswell as some of the goals, especially against the Mancs... but for me not the best we've had.

Owen, Torres, Rush and Luis all have/had more ability and were better players. Can't really comment on Hunt etc.

it`s easy to forget just how good torres was, when he played for us he was like a rolls royce, he had the lot, he was quick, strong, tall (and very good in the air) and could go past a man too. he racked up 50 goals quicker than anyone in our history, including those old timers who played in an era when scolines of 5-4 and 6-2 were quite common.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:13 pm wrote:
Paddock Wool

suarez is a far better player than fowler and calling fowler god is embaressing imo, you`d think this club had never had a decent striker before the 1990`s.
the likes or rush and hunt scored twice as many goals as fowler did, they did the business for this club for a decade in high pressure situations too like title run in`s and european cup semi finals etc
fans who over rate fowler are usually born from 1980-1990, they never saw the true greats

Not all mate ,not all ,and speaking as a child of the mid 70's I would have to say that Fowler was the most naturally gifted goalscorer I have ever seen
at the club .....My old man used to say he was the closest thing to Jimmy Greaves he had ever seen ,and he's supported Liverpool for 50 years man
and boy .

Robbie's phenomenon began long before he pulled the first team shirt on ,his talent was talked of in pubs the length and breadth of Liverpool even
when he graced the reserves,in truth I honestly cant remember a first team debut being swathed in such lofty expectation.

As for the nickname ,I believe the reverence he received from the Dockers lifted him to those exalted heights....Like I said Robbie Fowler had more
natural ability than any striker I have ever seen in the red of Liverpool ,he scored goals with contemptuous ease ,he regularly embarrassed the best
and most taut defences in England at the time,and he done it with an impudence and arrogance.

Luis Suarez is possibly the most outrageously talented player ever to wear the red of Liverpool ,but in terms of him being revered with the same level
of esteem as Fowler, then its simply not feasible. The Kop don't anoint people with such platitudes unless they're duly merited.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Absolutely spot on RBG.
Benny The Noon

Postby metalhead » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:09 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 am wrote:Will never forget Owen's goal against Argentina in the '98 world cup. Only 18, up against one of the meanest teams in world football and he went through them like a knife through butter. An outstanding player and we were lucky to have him, pity it all went sour in the end.

One of the reasons I supported LFC is because of Owen (just another foreign LFC supporter), who was my boyhood idol and probably the best striker I've seen in a red shirt until Torres and Suarez arrived. I've only seen Fowler at the end of his LFC career (treble season and beyond) so I cannot judge.

I
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=giXLZPwfnP ... iXLZPwfnPM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l8v08SP0Ln ... 8v08SP0Lnc

Just a couple of quality Robbie moments

Always preferred him over Owen because he IMO always put the club first not himself or England ( thought Owen did )
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:24 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:18 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:13 pm wrote:
Paddock Wool

Not all mate ,not all ,and speaking as a child of the mid 70's I would have to say that Fowler was the most naturally gifted goalscorer I have ever seen
at the club .....My old man used to say he was the closest thing to Jimmy Greaves he had ever seen ,and he's supported Liverpool for 50 years man
and boy .

Robbie's phenomenon began long before he pulled the first team shirt on ,his talent was talked of in pubs the length and breadth of Liverpool even
when he graced the reserves,in truth I honestly cant remember a first team debut being swathed in such lofty expectation.

As for the nickname ,I believe the reverence he received from the Dockers lifted him to those exalted heights....Like I said Robbie Fowler had more
natural ability than any striker I have ever seen in the red of Liverpool ,he scored goals with contemptuous ease ,he regularly embarrassed the best
and most taut defences in England at the time,and he done it with an impudence and arrogance.

Luis Suarez is possibly the most outrageously talented player ever to wear the red of Liverpool ,but in terms of him being revered with the same level
of esteem as Fowler, then its simply not feasible. The Kop don't anoint people with such platitudes unless they're duly merited.

the difference between greaves and fowler though mate was that jimmy greaves scored goals, i mean lots of them.
greaves scored 100 league goals before he was 21, a record that still stands today.
fowler scored 186 career goals, greaves had scored over 200 by the age of 23.
greaves still holds the record for the number of seasons he topped the scoring charts and he did it in a era when his contemporaries were the likes of dennis law, roger hunt and george best etc.
greaves finished his career with a total of 422 goals in just 602 appearances, fowler scored 186 in 460, there`s hardly any comparison.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:22 am

Was Fangio better than say Senna or Schumacher? Different times and very different conditions.Same applies to Greaves and Fowler. All brilliant but difficult to compare and draw an accurate comparison.Lets face it, it's not the same as fkg darts is it !!!  :laugh: Just a little joke for any of you dartists. I know technology has helped the game together with the fact that they no longer drink 15 pints a match !!!  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext