whats acceptable this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 pm

tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:34 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm wrote:All depends on what is classed as a moderate wage.

We will miss out on players because of the apparent "strategy" , players that could possibly really move us forward

Kuyt- big wage, sold.
Maxi- big wage, sold.
Bellamy- big wage, sold
Replaced by Sterling.

Cole- bigger wage than Allen, Cole sold.
Carroll- on bigger wage than Borini, Carroll sold.
Pepe- on bigger wage than Mingolet, Pepe loaned out.

I will predict that Skrtel is the next man out the door in the January window, why? You guessed it, wages.

I have no problem with any of this as long as the team doesn't suffer as a consequence and it doesn't detract players from coming to the club. If you remember back to last summer when we were favourite to sign Sigurdson and he signed for Spudz because he was offered a better deal. That was the only one that i am aware of that didn't sign for us because of the strategy.

Should have matched Tottenham's offer then and gave him something to thing about. The lad scores goals from midfield. And lots of them.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:15 pm

StuYesThatStu » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 pm wrote:
tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:34 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm wrote:All depends on what is classed as a moderate wage.

We will miss out on players because of the apparent "strategy" , players that could possibly really move us forward

Kuyt- big wage, sold.
Maxi- big wage, sold.
Bellamy- big wage, sold
Replaced by Sterling.

Cole- bigger wage than Allen, Cole sold.
Carroll- on bigger wage than Borini, Carroll sold.
Pepe- on bigger wage than Mingolet, Pepe loaned out.

I will predict that Skrtel is the next man out the door in the January window, why? You guessed it, wages.

I have no problem with any of this as long as the team doesn't suffer as a consequence and it doesn't detract players from coming to the club. If you remember back to last summer when we were favourite to sign Sigurdson and he signed for Spudz because he was offered a better deal. That was the only one that i am aware of that didn't sign for us because of the strategy.

Should have matched Tottenham's offer then and gave him something to thing about. The lad scores goals from midfield. And lots of them.

Not sure about that one stu. He didnt exactly set the league on fire last season.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:24 pm

But has started this season well - he is another talented player who would have improved us last season and would improve us right now
Benny The Noon

Postby aCe' » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:25 pm

tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:58 pm wrote:
aCe' » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 pm wrote:I'm not buying the moderate wages talk. Sakho is on at least 100K a week I would assume. Thats if he took a pay cut to join us. Still puts him and Agger on a higher wage bracket than most CBs at some of the clubs around us like Cahill, Luiz, Ivanovic, Koscieny, Varmaelen, Vertonghen, Kaboul...etc. Toure is probably half that amount; around 50k I would assume.  Moses is on the same wages Chelsea would have payed. Then you have the likes of Henderson who are massively over-payed; earning anywhere between 65-75k depending on the reports you choose to believe (or not if you're in denial). More than that payed for the likes of Ramsey and Arteta and at least comparable if not more than what the likes of Ramirez, Cleverly, and pretty much all of the Tottenham CMs earn.

So no, I dont think we offer low wages unless we're talking about big players who would demand 120+ or risky targets who also expect big money 80+ (Etoo...etc basically another J.Cole situation).

Look into moneyball and you'll find that the a team can can be made up of a few high earners but the rest is made up of players on low to moderate wages. Ian Ayre came out last week and said that Sakho was our marquee signing of the window. Cant see Aspas, Alberto, Mingolet, Toure on big wages.

People need to drop the moneyball talk once and for all. You dont pay 35mill, 20mill, 15mill...etc etc on signing on fees and put the players on high wages (by all standards, expect perhaps Man City's) and then claim that there's value in whats being done. If Aspas and Alberto (a complete gamble imo, not even stats can explain that one) were our only 2 signings then I would have understood your point.

As things stand, most of the players in our starting 11 are on very high wages (around 75k or more). Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Sakho, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Suarez. I'm sure a couple of other players -maybe Sturridge and Toure- earn something similar but lets assume they dont for the sake of it. I'm positive that no other clubs in the league besides Man City, Chelsea and ManUtd have as many 75k+ players in their side. The point you are trying to make would only be valid if we paid Gerrard and Suarez 120k+ like we do and then had everyone else (including new transfers assuming they're not superstars or 120k+ players) on 50k or less.

So to sum it up, yes we have been reducing our wage spend by selling high earners but we havent changed much in terms of the wages we offer our new signings from what I can tell. And another thing, in what world does it make sense to spend 20mill on a player only to pay him 30k a week. He's either a 20mill player who deserves to be paid a salary accordingly or he isnt, in which case we shouldnt spend the 15 or 20mill to start with. Any excuse of "we signed Allen because we can pay him low wages and that offers us value" is complete nonsense when the transfer fee is taken into account.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:25 pm

As i said pal, I don't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't hold the team back. Yes they were past there best but all could still have done a job for the team. They were sold/let go because they were on high wages and there re-sale value was in decline.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think there's anything wrong with balancing the books and shipping out the expensive dross. Bar Pepe, there's not a single player on that list I was sad to see leave. They were all past it and no longer much use.

The owners have shown they'll spend for the right players, and they've also shown they're no mugs when it comes to player power. Hence Sigurdson was told to do one, and hence Suarez is still here.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 pm

aCe' » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:25 pm wrote:
tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:58 pm wrote:
aCe' » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 pm wrote:I'm not buying the moderate wages talk. Sakho is on at least 100K a week I would assume. Thats if he took a pay cut to join us. Still puts him and Agger on a higher wage bracket than most CBs at some of the clubs around us like Cahill, Luiz, Ivanovic, Koscieny, Varmaelen, Vertonghen, Kaboul...etc. Toure is probably half that amount; around 50k I would assume.  Moses is on the same wages Chelsea would have payed. Then you have the likes of Henderson who are massively over-payed; earning anywhere between 65-75k depending on the reports you choose to believe (or not if you're in denial). More than that payed for the likes of Ramsey and Arteta and at least comparable if not more than what the likes of Ramirez, Cleverly, and pretty much all of the Tottenham CMs earn.

So no, I dont think we offer low wages unless we're talking about big players who would demand 120+ or risky targets who also expect big money 80+ (Etoo...etc basically another J.Cole situation).

Look into moneyball and you'll find that the a team can can be made up of a few high earners but the rest is made up of players on low to moderate wages. Ian Ayre came out last week and said that Sakho was our marquee signing of the window. Cant see Aspas, Alberto, Mingolet, Toure on big wages.

People need to drop the moneyball talk once and for all. You dont pay 35mill, 20mill, 15mill...etc etc on signing on fees and put the players on high wages (by all standards, expect perhaps Man City's) and then claim that there's value in whats being done. If Aspas and Alberto (a complete gamble imo, not even stats can explain that one) were our only 2 signings then I would have understood your point.

As things stand, most of the players in our starting 11 are on very high wages (around 75k or more). Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Sakho, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Suarez. I'm sure a couple of other players -maybe Sturridge and Toure- earn something similar but lets assume they dont for the sake of it. I'm positive that no other clubs in the league besides Man City, Chelsea and ManUtd have as many 75k+ players in their side. The point you are trying to make would only be valid if we paid Gerrard and Suarez 120k+ like we do and then had everyone else (including new transfers assuming they're not superstars or 120k+ players) on 50k or less.

So to sum it up, yes we have been reducing our wage spend by selling high earners but we havent changed much in terms of the wages we offer our new signings from what I can tell. And another thing, in what world does it make sense to spend 20mill on a player only to pay him 30k a week. He's either a 20mill player who deserves to be paid a salary accordingly or he isnt, in which case we shouldnt spend the 15 or 20mill to start with. Any excuse of "we signed Allen because we can pay him low wages and that offers us value" is complete nonsense when the transfer fee is taken into account.

There is obviously a wage structure in place at the club, you mentioned 8 players, 2 of them are in the world class category, the other 6 on a lower wages and the rest of the team and squad members are on smaller again, Skrtel aside. The squad is made up of roughly 23 players.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:40 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:25 pm wrote:
As i said pal, I don't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't hold the team back. Yes they were past there best but all could still have done a job for the team. They were sold/let go because they were on high wages and there re-sale value was in decline.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think there's anything wrong with balancing the books and shipping out the expensive dross. Bar Pepe, there's not a single player on that list I was sad to see leave. They were all past it and no longer much use.

The owners have shown they'll spend for the right players, and they've also shown they're no mugs when it comes to player power. Hence Sigurdson was told to do one, and hence Suarez is still here.

I think the red bit is debatable in fairness.

You said the owners have shown that they spend on the right players. OK but didnt the manager say he liked Willian and Mikitaryan in particular? Fair enough the Armenian wouldn't talk to Ian Ayre but we offered way below the market value of the Brazilian and Spudz nipped in and try to sabotage the deal and the rest is history.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 pm

tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:40 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:25 pm wrote:

I think the red bit is debatable in fairness.

You said the owners have shown that they spend on the right players. OK but didnt the manager say he liked Willian and Mikitaryan in particular? Fair enough the Armenian wouldn't talk to Ian Ayre but we offered way below the market value of the Brazilian and Spudz nipped in and try to sabotage the deal and the rest is history.

Could they have added something?  It's up for debate, but my gut instinct says no. Bellamy perhaps, but he wanted to leave for personal reasons.

WIllian and his agent wanted millions more and, quite rightly, we stopped the chase. The fact the lad walked out half way through a Spurs medical because he heard Chelsea would pay more says it all. I'm not sorry we didn't sign him.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:57 pm

I have to say I'm not fussed either but I'm only giving examples of what the owners wont do and as i have said, it doesn't bother me.

And bellars was the only one that might make a difference???? come on man. Maxi chipped in with goals as did Kuyt, dont try tell me they couldnt have done a better job than Downing, Sterling and Borini.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:24 pm wrote:But has started this season well - he is another talented player who would have improved us last season and would improve us right now

joking arent you? he`s very average
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:08 pm

tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:57 pm wrote:I have to say I'm not fussed either but I'm only giving examples of what the owners wont do and as i have said, it doesn't bother me.

And bellars was the only one that might make a difference???? come on man. Maxi chipped in with goals as did Kuyt, dont try tell me they couldnt have done a better job than Downing, Sterling and Borini.

Kuyt did leave a season too early but he took advantage of a clause in his contract that allowed him to leave - that was out of everyone's hands

Thought Maxi would have been perfect for BR
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:07 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:24 pm wrote:But has started this season well - he is another talented player who would have improved us last season and would improve us right now

Not joking at all - think Sigurdsson is a creative player who will score goals from the midfield.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:09 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:07 pm wrote:

Not joking at all - think Sigurdsson is a creative player who will score goals from the midfield.

we dodged a bullet not signing him and dempsey, if we would have signed those 2 crabs there`s no way we would have went for coutinho and sturridge just a few months later. coutinho and sturridge transformed our side, those 2 plodders wouldnt.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 pm

It's all about opinions - Siggurdsson has got talent and has shown it in the prem - would currently walk into our midfield as he is better than Henderson
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:45 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 pm wrote:It's all about opinions - Siggurdsson has got talent and has shown it in the prem - would currently walk into our midfield as he is better than Henderson

he wouldnt be competing with hendo for a place though would he? you know well who he would be competing with but you didnt mention him because you know the player is 10 times better than signurdson.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion