Players That Need To Go When the Window Opens

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby killerp » Mon May 06, 2013 1:38 am

We have just about wrapped another mixed season, we will finish 7th about 99% sure! I thought now would be the appropriate time to look at who can leave.

Here's my list of who & how much I'd sell for:

Carroll - 13-15 -A fallback option if we can't sign a decent striker but if we do have a good striker lined up then sell him and accept the massive financial loss.
Borini - 8 - Not good enough
Downing - 15 - Very predictable & delivers a very poor cross.
Henderson - 13-14 - Energetic but lacks vision & technique
Allen - 11-12 - Not good enough
Skrtel - 9-10 - Can be ok on his day but has consistently defended poorly this season, lacks leadership qualities, Carragher proved this point even with his age.
Johnson - 15 - For all his attacking I think he is a poor defender. He would not be top of the list but if a suitor was found for the right price i'd make the move happen.

We would be making a hefty loss if that all went through but I have seen enough to say most of these players either don't fit or are simply not good enough for us to move forward. Maybe some of them can become better over time but will they ever be good enough to go top 4, I doubt it.
killerp

Postby RedHands » Mon May 06, 2013 6:01 am

Thank f you aren't in charge of the club.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 am

Do you play Football Manager ?

Players like Borini , Allen , Downing and Johnson aren't going to be sold all in one summer.

Henderson is certainly not going to be sold as well.

We have one of the smallest squads in the league and you suggest cutting even further for more mass changes ?

Players that I believe will leave will be fringe players

Skrtel, Carroll , Coates and Spearing - players on loan or who have dropped down the pecking order.

He certainly isn't going to sell 5-6 first teamers or players he rates and got 12 months ago
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 06, 2013 8:20 am

If we have any aspirations of a top 4 finish then Downing needs to fu'ck off pronto. I dont think he will though so we will definitely struggle to make CL qualification.
How we could have done with Carroll there yesterday to put pressure on their defence and give Coutinho another option, but again I doubt if he will come back now
:(
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 am

Carroll will always struggle in a team that doesn't play to his strengths.
Benny The Noon

Postby only me » Mon May 06, 2013 9:13 am

killerp » Mon May 06, 2013 12:38 am wrote:We have just about wrapped another mixed season, we will finish 7th about 99% sure! I thought now would be the appropriate time to look at who can leave.

Here's my list of who & how much I'd sell for:

Carroll - 13-15 -A fallback option if we can't sign a decent striker but if we do have a good striker lined up then sell him and accept the massive financial loss.
Borini - 8 - Not good enough
Downing - 15 - Very predictable & delivers a very poor cross.
Henderson - 13-14 - Energetic but lacks vision & technique
Allen - 11-12 - Not good enough
Skrtel - 9-10 - Can be ok on his day but has consistently defended poorly this season, lacks leadership qualities, Carragher proved this point even with his age.
Johnson - 15 - For all his attacking I think he is a poor defender. He would not be top of the list but if a suitor was found for the right price i'd make the move happen.

We would be making a hefty loss if that all went through but I have seen enough to say most of these players either don't fit or are simply not good enough for us to move forward. Maybe some of them can become better over time but will they ever be good enough to go top 4, I doubt it.

Out of the list I would say Skertel ,Johnson ,Borini are a must sell ,the rest keep for Squad rotation. I would also add to the Sell list Likes Coates and Maybe Lucas (which looks very poor after his injury).
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Mon May 06, 2013 9:16 am

Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 am wrote:Do you play Football Manager ?

Players like Borini , Allen , Downing and Johnson aren't going to be sold all in one summer.

Henderson is certainly not going to be sold as well.

We have one of the smallest squads in the league and you suggest cutting even further for more mass changes ?

Players that I believe will leave will be fringe players

Skrtel, Carroll , Coates and Spearing - players on loan or who have dropped down the pecking order.

He certainly isn't going to sell 5-6 first teamers or players he rates and got 12 months ago

Maybe I have lost the plot & the suggestion of mass changes is plain crazy but I just can't see us making real progress when our starting 11 contains players like Henderson, Downing, Skrtel, Allen, Borini etc... etc..

That's a big part of why we can't break down solid defenses. Don't get me wrong they score the odd goal here & there but just look at our season review when it comes out, look at all the wasted farking opportunities. Stray passes all over the shop, lax defending.

Ok enough ranting back to Football Manager...    :eyebrow
killerp

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 am

We have had mass changes for the last 3 years and it got us nowhere - we need to settle down a bit and replace fringe players with first team players to improve the squad

7 out and 6 in will just mean another season of players getting to know each other and another season of transition

Players like Borini ( whilst I don't think is good enough ) have been injured for most of the season - they aren't going to go after one season especially when they are still young and learning ( same with Allen )

We need to sort out the defence now - our attacking options have improved considerably with Coutinho and Sturridge added and they will improve.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 am

Maybe I have lost the plot & the suggestion of mass changes is plain crazy but I just can't see us making real progress when our starting 11 contains players like Henderson, Downing, Skrtel, Allen, Borini etc... etc..   

Until recently only Henderson and Downing have been starters. Mind you, BR was determined to fit in a 'well out of form' Allen into the starting line-up a while back - that was a worry as I'd say that persistence in the little Welsh man absolutely back fired.

I'm not sold on either Allen or Borini but they deserve another season IMO although Allen is never going to be the midfield general we need and I do question why Rodgers signed the mighty midget for the engine room.

I'd keep Henderson, he out of Dalglish's big signing 'flops' has improved the most but I get the feeling that once Allen is back Henderson will have to make way for Rodgers' mate.

If I needed to raise funds for the summer to spend in areas of need I'd look at selling both Downing and Carroll. Downing seems to have made the illusion that he's somehow earned the right to be an integral part of the team, and don't get me wrong when Rodgers publicly lambasted him it did serve as the rocket up the a.r.se. Problem with Downing's type is that you need to keep the fuse lit every two or three months because he reverts to type and plateaus out becoming the shadow that he is. While his stock is 'up' I'd cash in on him with the season drawing to a close.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon May 06, 2013 9:43 am

We don't have a big enough squad to let too many go but I think
Carroll, Skrtel and Assaidi are the obvious main ones that will be off.

Also they will listen to offers for boys like Downing or anyone they
feel is not wage-contribution value.

Obviously there are several you would ideally like to shift but contract
obligations and lack of buyers knacker us up there unfortunately.

Usually a shock or two as a surprise bid may open a door elsewhere
if we feel its worth it or a player may simply want away.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Mon May 06, 2013 10:03 am

I give benefit of doubt to Allen who looked the business at start of season but whether it was confidence or the injury faded badly. Same with Borini though I don't have as much confidence in him coming good

Certainly would be keeping Hendo though i also would like to cash in on Downing while his stock is up

You need a pretty good suitor for me to let go of Johnno and I doubt Carroll has a future but whether terms can be agreed is a different matter

I keep Skrtel in the squad if he is happy on the bench especially with Agger's injury record but would really like to see a class CB signed in the summer
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 am

I think we will try to sell Carroll and Downing along with some fringe players like Coates and Spearing. Maybe Skrtel as well if we can get enough replacements at CB.
Unfortunately i dont think we will be able to sell Carroll as we will set a pricetag on him that will be too high so i predict another season where he goes out on a loan.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon May 06, 2013 11:04 am

1. Clear out all players on loan (Carroll, Spearing etc..) except Ngoo. Get the overheads down to a reasonable level.

2. Kick out those who aren't upto it, (Downing, Skittle etc..) and bring in some proper medium priced replacements, avoid expensive and avoid cheap.

3. Get on your knees and pray.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 06, 2013 11:04 am

Carroll, Spearing and Skrtel can go for me.  Skrtel especially, as he's done little this season but mouth off to the press everytime he's dropped.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon May 06, 2013 11:05 am

Killerp - Don't agree with Henderson or your somewhat adventurous transfer prices. I would have given Henderson away last season and I would have been wrong. He is improving all the time and beginning to make a serious contribution. Johnson's concentration at times for a professional sportsman is woeful. His defensive capabilities are also average at best. Downing does the absolute minimum to keep his place in the team. Ater contributing nothing for 15 months Downing has at least got some assists to his name this season but if we could get anything over £10m I would let him go.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Next