Central midfield - I'm sick of diao

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:31 am

Why didn't John Welsh play (or even get a look in) instead of Diao? Surely the lad deserves a go now. Hopefully he'll play against Boro in the next round.

I'm sick of Diao, he's an accident waiting to happen. He took his goal brilliantly the other day but he's still a very average player. He gives away a foul every time he goes near someone and certainly can't pass a ball. Welshy can't be any worse.

After all its only 5th choice anyway behind Stevie, Xabi, Didi and Igor... Maybe Welshy's better than Igor...

I think Salif has to go. He's had his chance.
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:35 am

agree completly, diao is a poor player, i mean he's a tremendous athlete but thats not enough for the level we want to reach, his flaws are especially shown up under benitezs system as more movement and passing is involved, simply not good enough and a waste of £5m, i dont know why he got him the first place weve never been short of central midfielders and like you say welsh is supposed to be a good prospect so i would rather see him get a chance.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:56 am

Agree with both above re: Diao...time to go!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Looks like hes off anyway :cool:
SALIF DIAO insists he will quit Liverpool unless he lands a regular place in the team by Christmas.

The £5million midfielder, who scored in Tuesday’s 3-0 League Cup win at Millwall, insisted: “I’ve given myself until Christmas to make an impact.

“I want to be playing regularly and that’s been my objective since the start of the season. If things do not work out, I will have to look at other possibilities.”

The Senegal star’s goal was only his third for the club. Now he has told the official magazine, LFC: “I want to be playing every week.

“We become footballers because we want to play, not because we enjoy training every day.

“I’ve had some teams interested in me during my Liverpool career but I have never thought about those because I want to succeed here.

“Only when it is clear to me that isn’t going to happen will I look at my alternatives.”

Diao, 27, has enjoyed being given an opportunity by boss Rafael Benitez.

He added: “I felt like a new player this season because I had a realistic chance of getting into the team.”
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfused » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:31 am

stu_the_red

While you maybe correct about him, what concerns me is the time it takes for someone to "bed-in" and control their nerves. If you take Jimmy T for example he seems to be getting game by game, and I think the difficulty for managers is to know what is down to nerves and what is lack of skill.

But then the manager must see the skills at training which is why he picks him in the first place!
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby isyarah » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:43 am

at least he knows where he stand.. time to move on Diao..:;):
isyarah

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:28 am

I agree completely with you stu.  He was a complete waste of money both signing him plus his wages, he doesnt even offer decent back up, he's an utter joke!  The number of times he has given away fouls probably exceeds the number of passes he's made!  The sooner he's gone the better
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:49 am

I'm not as big of critic of Diao as other people: in the first 10 or so games of 2002/03 he actually played fairly well.

However, Houllier singled him out for criticism after his petulant sending off against Newcastle that season and things really went downhill after that.

Benitez has given him more of a chance, but we don't see that much of an improvement, and unless we see a few more injuries, I don't see Diao being a first team regular by Christmas.

However, Benitez seems a fair man and has stated this week that he favours squad rotation so that he hopes to have a strong and fresh first team for the run in at the end of the season so I do see Diao getting a few starts in November and December.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:58 am

stu_the_red wrote:Why didn't John Welsh play (or even get a look in) instead of Diao? Surely the lad deserves a go now. Hopefully he'll play against Boro in the next round.

I'm sick of Diao, he's an accident waiting to happen. He took his goal brilliantly the other day but he's still a very average player. He gives away a foul every time he goes near someone and certainly can't pass a ball. Welshy can't be any worse.

After all its only 5th choice anyway behind Stevie, Xabi, Didi and Igor... Maybe Welshy's better than Igor...

Am I correct in saying that Welsh is injured?  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:05 pm

Agree stu, i cant see nothing in the fella!

I have watched, hoped and wished he would prove me wrong, but so far all i see see is a good man marker with aggresivness which is pretty usless unless you have good passing and moving qualities.

All i see from him is bad tackling...giving away too many free kicks which obviously puts us in unneccesary danger, bad range of passing, even close targets...losing valuable possesion and generally running about lick a headless chicken...conclusion - waste of space, must go in January transfer window to a Senegalese non league team.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 67-1098209959 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:51 pm

Paul C wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Why didn't John Welsh play (or even get a look in) instead of Diao? Surely the lad deserves a go now. Hopefully he'll play against Boro in the next round.

Am I correct in saying that Welsh is injured?  ???

Welsh had recently returened from injury and I think that he probarly wasn't fit enough to play in such a competitive match.
67-1098209959

Postby spud » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:33 pm

stu_the_red wrote:He took his goal brilliantly the other day but he's still a very average player.

He didn't have a clue about the goal. 

He just hit it, it could have gone into row Z!

He is one of the worst players ever to wear the red shirt.

He looked worse than the Millwall players.

Who's stupid enough to sign him?
spud

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:35 pm

isn't john welsh captain for the reserves?

if so surely he deserves an equal share of first team action as the likes of potter, warnock etc? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 67-1098209959 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:37 pm

I think Welshy might just turn out ot be one of those "wasted talents".

It will be a shame if he never even gets a chance.
67-1098209959

Postby Redtribe » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:44 pm

I think Rafa has every intention of off loading him!
But he probably wanted to see who was good back up to his first choice pairing!
He must know now! And Salif must know that he is 5th choice!!
I think 4 CM's are enough for a season plus there is the chance of youngsters coming through!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion