Owen, Drogba or Anelka??

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:41 am

It looks like someone has let Brendan Rogers down and we are now desperatly short of fire power.  The only option for us until January is to get a player who is out of contract, and there are 3 who would be available.

Drogba, Anelka and Owen

Drogba - Birth Date: Mar 11, 1979

I dont think Drogba would come to Liverpool and for me he doesnt really suit the syle of play that BR is implementing.  On his day he can be un-playable But I suppose the same could be said about Andy Carroll. Known as much for his diving and cheating as his excellent scoring record.  Would not be my first choice

Anelka - Birth Date: Mar 14, 1979

We have had chances to resign Anelka in a few transfer windows.  Intelligent player who knows where the back of the net is but is know as a bit of a sulk who could upset the dressing room when things arent going his way. May well fir into BR's style of play and I think would be welcomed back to Liverpool by most fans as he never wanted to leave, but Houllier thought we would do better with El Hadj Diouff???

Owen - Birthdate Dec 14,1979

One time Liverpool hero who won us many, many games on his own.  Unliked by a lot of Liverpool fans when he chose Real Madris ahead of Rafa Benitez and then even worse went to play for Man Utd.  Fitness has always been a problem but after a few years where he hasnt played much may well be able to put a run of games together.  Whatever you think of him as a person, he always scores goals.

Not sure who if any of these 3 I would like but it is clear we need to add to our squad and the options are not great.  Who would you prefer or is there anyone else out there who we could get?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 am

In order of preference it would be Drogba, Anelka then rat boy. But not sure if we could afford wages for the 1st 2.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:52 am

Drogba would be by far the best choice as is head and shoulder over the over 2. I think he would easily fit in BR's System and can change a game within seconds. Saying that i think he wouldnt disrespect chelsea that much to sign for another premier league side aswell as his high wage demands i think this one is a non starter.

Anelka - Great player, When he wants to be, Great finisher linking up with suarez and gerrard and i think he could easily hit 20+ goals, But again if he wanted to. Wage wouldnt be that high but strops around if it isnt going his way.

Owe - The most realistic option - He knows he did wrong and i think given the oppurtunity he may well like to appologise to the fans and thank us also for the years of supporting him through his first stint. A Down side is his injury record very prone to injury and dont think he has the match fitness right now.

The most realistic option as i mentioned is Owen wouldnt expect as much as the other 2. Would play 100% as he needs to prove himself and I think him a Gerrard would have a great partnership again.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby NorfolkRed » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:59 am

Having read JWH's letter to fans i'm not sure we'll go for any of them unless they agree reasonable wages. Not interested in short term expensive patches and want to stick with their plan.
NorfolkRed

Postby paisleyred » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:04 am

Drogba would start games.

Owen would be an option off the bench.

Anelka would be a bit of both.

Are Drogba and Anelka actually available?
paisleyred

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 am

Anelka. Cant stand Drogba though he is the best player of the 3 and Owen - :alien:  :angry:  :veryangry  ???

Anyway dream on, the two of them are earning 200 thou a week in China so not sure they'd come here for 30 thou are you?  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:21 am

Owen. Pay as you Play, off the bench. give us a reasonable option.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 am

Drogba and Anelka are both now available as the Chinese team they where playing for have just gone under
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby mramo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:27 am

Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:41 am wrote:It looks like someone has let Brendan Rogers down and we are now desperatly short of fire power.  The only option for us until January is to get a player who is out of contract, and there are 3 who would be available.

Drogba, Anelka and Owen

Drogba - Birth Date: Mar 11, 1979

I dont think Drogba would come to Liverpool and for me he doesnt really suit the syle of play that BR is implementing.  On his day he can be un-playable But I suppose the same could be said about Andy Carroll. Known as much for his diving and cheating as his excellent scoring record.  Would not be my first choice

Ideal first choice for me, however he is a year older, not 1979.
mramo

Postby maguskwt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:42 am

Soccernet reporting:

Liverpool are set to hold talks with Michael Owen on Monday as they weigh up a move for the former England striker.

PA PhotosMichael Owen is available on a free transfer

• Rodgers rues Carroll exit

Brendan Rodgers confirmed after his side's 2-0 defeat at home to Arsenal on Sunday that he was considering a deal for Owen after failing to sign a replacement for Andy Carroll on transfer deadline day.

Owen, a free agent after leaving Manchester United, is also talking with Sunderland, West Ham, Everton and Stoke about a deal.

A return to Anfield would be controversial, not least because he has spent the last three seasons with the club's arch rivals. Former Liverpool star Mark Lawrenson has also raised serious questions over the striker's motivation.

Writing for the Daily Mirror, he said: "I've always believed Liverpool would finish fifth or sixth as the majority of their players are good enough to do so, but the decision to allow Andy Carroll to leave the club without making sure a replacement was signed, sealed and delivered is bizarre bordering on farcical.

"Equally so the idea that the club could sign Michael Owen on a free transfer. For me it is a retrograde step and Liverpool should never have left themselves in a position where they even have to be considering it.

"In terms of being fit and available you have to ask how often that will be the case with Owen. I also get the impression with him that it is not just about the fact that he only wants to play football. If that was the case then he would have lowered his salary demands and signed for a Championship club.

"I just don't think he wants to play for the love of the game anymore."
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 am

Not sure where to put this so ill chuck it here. Do the squads have to completed today.

Meaning we will know by the end of the day the squad till January and also if we will get any of the 3 mentioned

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 am

Given the fact that Drogba is a legend of Chelsea football club and a loyal servant of 8 years who reportedly turned down a chance to move to Real Madrid when Mourinho took over indicates to me that he would opt out of joining Liverpool. Would I take him? Yes, I'd also take both Owen and Anelka, if we had to choose one though, I would choose Drogba first and foremost, but as I doubt he'd come I'd have to choose Owen, purely for the fact that despite not playing often with United his goals to games ratio was impressive and he doesn't possess the attitude problems that come with Nicolas Anelka.
Boxscarf

Postby paisleyred » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am

Premier League squads to be finalised tomorrow LFC1990
paisleyred

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 am

The fact we've got 19 players out of a possible 25 says it all to me, I don't know why this club feels the need to offload players before bringing new ones in. It's far more sensible to bring in the players you want and then offload the players you do not want. I read somewhere that we offloaded a total of 9 players and only brought 3 in and this has left us weaker as a result. If we can pick up a striker before tomorrow I'll be relieved more than anything else.
Boxscarf

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:30 am

It's not an easy one, Owen at his best was exactly what we need, a pure goalscorer. However that was a long time ago.
His fitness has to be in doubt.

Anelka I liked, never wanted him to leave whilst Drogba is a beast of a player.

To be honest I am not sure on any of them.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion