Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:04 am

Canoe.
Riding a bike.
Double trap shooting (???)

Im sorry, Im still not sold on the Olympic ideal. Im a good Chess player, is that an Olympic sport? no, of course not, it should be, but sports like the ones I have mentioned above take precedence. They shouldn't, but they do. How about Cheer leading? That requires more effort, but its not classed as a sport.

Still, as long as photos of Daley Thompson exist, we can hope for patriotism. What happened to Eddie the Eagle? Oh, thats the winter one isnt, which NOBODY gives a sh!t about.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:11 am

:laugh:

You are one miserable b@rstard Kharhaz. I'm sorry I cannot help you. All is not lost though, you're quite free to start a chess thread if you feel the need to.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:07 am

Being a chess player brings it all into place :D

I do like the way he just dismisses the efforts of Wiggins and Hoy - Riding a bike :D

Great pics Bam

More chances of gold medals today
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:52 am

An excellent quote from Ben_AFC, RAWK:

What you get with the olympics is personal stories, each far more compelling than the spoon fed, over privileged footballers we watch each week. The dedication and obsession that each competitor shows, and all their unrewarded hard work that they do in private, without the support of anyone but their families is abundantly evident and utterly compelling. I'm overjoyed for each winner and gutted for each loser. I never feel that way as a neutral watching football. The fact that these people are the absolute elite in the world, yet by and large aren't celebrities really makes you feel connected to them, and humanises their achievements in a way that the world of elite football now misses

Well said that man.  :bowdown

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 am

contrary to what many who are incapable of genuine thought might believe, i'm actually delighted for the athletes and i'm actually enjoying what little bits of the action i've been able to catch. but it doesn't change for a second my distaste for the political and financial dealings that go on within the olympic organisation and host city, along with the general restrictions of freedom for the people trying to get on with their lives in the vicinity.

anyway, i shan't post any more of my terribly pinko, subversive anarchism in this thread. seems like its far too upsetting for some sensitive individuals.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm a fan of the variety the Olympics offers and the opportunity to watch sports I would never otherwise seek out.  Every Olympics I get drawn into one particular sport, it seems, and can't get enough.  This time around its volleyball (old school, indoor, six-a-side volleyball that is, although I'm certainly not averse to watching the beach variety :D ).  I watched the highlights of USA v. Brazil (Men) last night and the day before I saw the whole match of USA v. China (Women).  The strategic side of the game is compelling and the athleticism is simply awesome, and that's for both the men and the women.  Well worth a look if you get a chance.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:40 pm

andy_g » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 am wrote:anyway, i shan't post any more of my terribly pinko, subversive anarchism in this thread. seems like its far too upsetting for some sensitive individuals.

:D

What's doing my head in is the stream of patronising announcements from the Mayor of London about planning our journey's as we plebeians ride on public transport, meanwhile the elite few (I don't mean the athletes) whiz by in special lanes reserved for "VIP's" only (i.e politicians and their cronies), even London Taxi's aren't allowed to use these so called "Olympic Lanes" !
The Cabbies are going nuts, they're making less money during these games than they would earn in a "normal" week, they tried to stage a bit of a protest last week and were threatened with having their badges (licences) taken away, makes you wonder who the pinko's really are.

I've been enjoying most of the actual sport but like you Andy I'm also f'ucked off with much of the sh'ite that comes with the Olympics but better we don't talk about it, instead just down another drink and listen to pundits creaming themselves about the prospect of another medal for Team GB and keep telling yourself we really are all in it together.  :;):

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Another gold for GB in rowing

No chess gold yet
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:51 am wrote:Another gold for GB in rowing

No chess gold yet

Saw that, and Ennis (crikey the abs, she's hot!) looks good too.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am wrote:
andy_g » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 am wrote:anyway, i shan't post any more of my terribly pinko, subversive anarchism in this thread. seems like its far too upsetting for some sensitive individuals.

What's doing my head in is the stream of patronising announcements from the Mayor of London about planning our journey's as we plebeians ride on public transport, meanwhile the elite few (I don't mean the athletes) whiz by in special lanes reserved for "VIP's" only (i.e politicians and their cronies), even London Taxi's aren't allowed to use these so called "Olympic Lanes" !
The Cabbies are going nuts, they're making less money during these games than they would earn in a "normal" week, they tried to stage a bit of a protest last week and were threatened with having their badges (licences) taken away, makes you wonder who the pinko's really are.

I've been enjoying most of the actual sport but like you Andy I'm also f'ucked off with much of the sh'ite that comes with the Olympics but better we don't talk about it, instead just down another drink and listen to pundits creaming themselves about the prospect of another medal for Team GB and keep telling yourself we really are all in it together.  :;):

That's true, at least the pair of you can run along to the Dog & Gorilla have have your imaginary um-Bongos.  :laugh:

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Kenny Kan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 pm wrote: at least the pair of you can run along to the Dog & Gorilla have have your imaginary um-Bongos.  :laugh:

Although drink of choice today is Smirnoff Blue

45% vol. and the corner shop sells a litre bottle for £20  :buttrock .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:33 pm

A bronze for rowing and now Judo

Still no Chess gold though
Benny The Noon

Postby andy_g » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:34 pm

ok, feck it.... i'm sold!

COME ON TEAM GB

:buttrock

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Kenny Kan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:52 am wrote:An excellent quote from Ben_AFC, RAWK:

What you get with the olympics is personal stories, each far more compelling than the spoon fed, over privileged footballers we watch each week. The dedication and obsession that each competitor shows, and all their unrewarded hard work that they do in private, without the support of anyone but their families is abundantly evident and utterly compelling. I'm overjoyed for each winner and gutted for each loser. I never feel that way as a neutral watching football. The fact that these people are the absolute elite in the world, yet by and large aren't celebrities really makes you feel connected to them, and humanises their achievements in a way that the world of elite football now misses

Well said that man.  :bowdown

Clearly its that black and white ffs, footballers are massively overpaid silver spooned prima donnas and Olympic athletes are the salt of the earth.

Usain Bolt earned $20.3m last year

Oh Hey...

Im not Olympic bashing here btw, I just cant understand why some people cant value one type of thing without taking potshots at another, in this specific case footballers, from a poster on Red and White Kop, a football forum.  :help
burjennio

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum