Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:58 pm

At a time when Carroll's confidence is clearly on the up and having scored a couple of winners in a row, one in a cup semi v everton, I can't believe some are still having a go at him.

He may, and probably won't, ever be good enough to justify what we paid for him, but he's still a young player who will get better.  Same goes for Henderson for that matter.

Carroll is the classic example of what is wrong with the British press.  Build someone up more than is deserved, then rip them to pieces far more than is deserved.  That's not specific to footballers or even sport in terms of press in this country.  Some can see that, some can't, some see it but can't help jumping on the bandwagon anyway.

The lad deserves another season, not to prove us all wrong by banging in 40 goals, but to be allowed to continue steadily improving like the young player he is.  If he's stagnating or going backwards then there's a case for cutting our losses, but we're a long way off that.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm

john craig » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:58 pm wrote:At a time when Carroll's confidence is clearly on the up and having scored a couple of winners in a row, one in a cup semi v everton, I can't believe some are still having a go at him.

He may, and probably won't, ever be good enough to justify what we paid for him, but he's still a young player who will get better.  Same goes for Henderson for that matter.

Carroll is the classic example of what is wrong with the British press.  Build someone up more than is deserved, then rip them to pieces far more than is deserved.  That's not specific to footballers or even sport in terms of press in this country.  Some can see that, some can't, some see it but can't help jumping on the bandwagon anyway.

The lad deserves another season, not to prove us all wrong by banging in 40 goals, but to be allowed to continue steadily improving like the young player he is.  If he's stagnating or going backwards then there's a case for cutting our losses, but we're a long way off that.

Spot on
The only people who are still saying those things about Carroll are not LFC fans
FACT!
Thommo's perm

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:38 am

Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 pm wrote:
john craig » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:58 pm wrote:At a time when Carroll's confidence is clearly on the up and having scored a couple of winners in a row, one in a cup semi v everton, I can't believe some are still having a go at him.

Spot on
The only people who are still saying those things about Carroll are not LFC fans
FACT!

:wwww
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:01 am

The thing is that Kenny cannot afford to play him if he's not pulling his own weight. It's as simple as that. If he is like against everton Kenny couldand should play him.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Take note, unbelievers. This is the attitude of a supporter with his head screwed on. Forget the £35m price tag. That's Money-Man talk. Focus on the football.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:12 pm

RedAnt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:08 pm wrote:

Take note, unbelievers. This is the attitude of a supporter with his head screwed on. Forget the £35m price tag. That's Money-Man talk. Focus on the football.

The sad thing is when Liverpool supporters go along with it.
I can understand the likes of Kerry, but real supporters should get behind the players, the manager and the club.
Its one thing being frustrated, we all are, but its another repeating what the hypocritical cu'nts from the media say.
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:12 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:08 pm wrote:

The sad thing is when Liverpool supporters go along with it.
I can understand the likes of Kerry, but real supporters should get behind the players, the manager and the club.
Its one thing being frustrated, we all are, but its another repeating what the hypocritical cu'nts from the media say.
:no

Perhaps we should begin a new Carroll thread. This one feels poisoned. As some have noted, it's no longer the Andy Carroll thread. It's basically a canvass for some to grafitti Anti-Carroll BS.
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:13 pm

I disagree
Leave it the way it is so people can see how attempts at brainwashing and character assassination dont work.
Having patience, unity and faith is the ONLY way to come through adversity
Like the song says...
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:13 pm wrote:I disagree
Leave it the way it is so people can see how attempts at brainwashing and character assassination dont work.
Like the song says...

Good point. I just get so frustrated with certain people. I'm old school...(nothing wrong with new school really) ..and have been there, done it, got the teeshirt. The thing that some people need to realise is that Andy Carroll is a big, f*cking h*rd geordie. Mind, we should realise that too. He ain't gonna be shedding tears over what the likes of some people have to say about him. He will fight on, not to please his critics, but because fight on is what he does. The more and more that our own "fans" diss him, the more and more he becomes one of us really since the true fans immediately shift to stand in his corner. He will come good and then the likes of Kerry will be regurgitating everything we say here as his/her own opinions to anyone who will listen. It already began with the "Carroll scored against the bitters and for that im eternally grateful". Clever really, tryna play the Red over Blue card. A shame for hm/her that we ain't all divvy's eh?
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:14 pm

RedAnt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:39 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:13 pm wrote:I disagree
Like the song says...

Good point. I just get so frustrated with certain people. I'm old school...(nothing wrong with new school really) ..and have been there, done it, got the teeshirt. The thing that some people need to realise is that Andy Carroll is a big, f*cking h*rd geordie. Mind, we should realise that too. He ain't gonna be shedding tears over what the likes of some people have to say about him. He will fight on, not to please his critics, but because fight on is what he does. The more and more that our own "fans" diss him, the more and more he becomes one of us really since the true fans immediately shift to stand in his corner. He will come good and then the likes of Kerry will be regurgitating everything we say here as his/her own opinions to anyone who will listen. It already began with the "Carroll scored against the bitters and for that im eternally grateful". Clever really, tryna play the Red over Blue card. A shame for hm/her that we ain't all divvy's eh?

Bob Paisley, probably the wisest man in football said:
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it."
Simple
:bowdown
Thommo's perm

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm amazed how "true fans" weren't defending Kuyt about 3 years ago with as much conviction and vigor as they are defending Carroll now? What was it back then? Headless chicken? Only score goals accidentally with his shin?  :laugh:

Can't say that I'm surprised though... There has always been double standards when it comes to British player vs foreign player...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:54 pm

maguskwt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:28 pm wrote:I'm amazed how "true fans" weren't defending Kuyt about 3 years ago with as much conviction and vigor as they are defending Carroll now? What was it back then? Headless chicken? Only score goals accidentally with his shin?  :laugh:

Can't say that I'm surprised though... There has always been double standards when it comes to British player vs foreign player...

I always liked Kuyt and wasn't on these forums back when all these comments were made. But Kuyt runs and runs and runs for the cause. He has more than earned the right to wear our colours. Carroll is currently earning that right too in my eyes.

Liverpool are about heart and passion and faith. Give me a player who will run for the cause any day over some lazy a*rsed played. And yes, i'd pick the hard worker over the 40 goal a season striker every day since the two aren't mutually exclusive. If we have faith in Carroll and get behind him, support him, he will either thrive on that, or slip away. I think he will thrive. If he slips away, then it's time to show him the door.

We as a club aren't about stats, figures, money, results. Those things come in time after unity and faith. I hope people here will remember that Andy pulls on our shirt with a smile on his face and walks out onto that pitch and usually gives his all. Remember...there's a man there who wants to do well. If we forget about the personalities behind the players, then we might as well forget that we are Liverpool.
RedAnt

Postby akumaface » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:30 pm

It seems every thread turns out to be an argument about who is a true LFC fan or not. What is the definition of a true fan? Blind faith? The fact is there will always be a player you don't like. Some like Carrol and some don't. There is no unanimous love for any single player. I'm sure there are people who doesn't like Messi or Maradona. The bottomline is that we all wanted the club to be good. Just that we are doing so badly in the league that got most fans frustrated somehow. So, every hiccup or however minor the issue is, people get upset. This is the same for all fan in whomever you support. Even if the team is going well, there will always be something someone don't like. Just hope people can respect other's view and don't get too personal in destroying the unity of the club.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:34 pm

maguskwt » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:28 pm wrote:I'm amazed how "true fans" weren't defending Kuyt about 3 years ago with as much conviction and vigor as they are defending Carroll now? What was it back then? Headless chicken? Only score goals accidentally with his shin?  :laugh:

Kuyt has had plenty of time to prove his worth.
I have been one of his biggest critics but I have been honest and did not have a hidden agenda. Kuyt is a workhorse who comes up with vital goals at times. But he is limited technically and is often the breakdown in link up play. He has a tendency to run around with very little purpose but he is passionate and loyal and I will be sad to see him go.
This is different to the absolute slaughtering Carroll has got in the months he has been playing for us. Some have been totally against him from the begining due to his price tag, which goes to show how shallow they are. He came in injured and has slowly grown in stature and confidence, despite the stick he has received from the cu'nty hypocritical media and the sheep that follow them.
Dickie Kuyt will always be remembered with fondness by me, frustrating as he is, his heart is in the right place.
Thommo's perm

Postby kartiek » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:19 am

Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:34 pm wrote:

Kuyt has had plenty of time to prove his worth.
I have been one of his biggest critics but I have been honest and did not have a hidden agenda. Kuyt is a workhorse who comes up with vital goals at times. But he is limited technically and is often the breakdown in link up play. He has a tendency to run around with very little purpose but he is passionate and loyal and I will be sad to see him go.
This is different to the absolute slaughtering Carroll has got in the months he has been playing for us. Some have been totally against him from the begining due to his price tag, which goes to show how shallow they are. He came in injured and has slowly grown in stature and confidence, despite the stick he has received from the cu'nty hypocritical media and the sheep that follow them.
Dickie Kuyt will always be remembered with fondness by me, frustrating as he is, his heart is in the right place.

To be completely honest, Kuyt's link up play is not that bad at all. He's lambasted on this point, in my opinion for no reason. His main problem really is that he's slow and doesn't have tricks under his belt. But he can always play the one two.

Andy Carroll on the other hand, I think can pass the ball a bit, but he's really poor with running with the ball (just can't do it), and he definitely isn't sharp enough at playing one twos either. One thing he'll definitely improve upon with age is his awareness, as long as he keeps working hard on his fitness. The thing that's most bothersome, IMO, is his lack of ball control while in motion. In fact, I can't recall him running for more than 3 yards with the ball at his feet.
kartiek

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion