Why is nothing happening?! - All quiet on the transfer front...

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:49 pm

I think its time Rafa got his finger out and signed Owen. We could all relax then and enjoy the summer knowing that anyone else we signed would be a bonus, as we would already have our goalscoring problem sorted.

ps I have heard that Simoa has agreed terms and will sign on his return from the USA, no idea if its genuine or not.
account deleted by request

Postby t-h-o-m » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:59 pm

@ s@int: agreed  :)
Last edited by t-h-o-m on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t-h-o-m

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:05 pm

Obviously a lot depends on when certain players become available, but there are pros and cons to signing players this early in the summer.

Cons:

Players often on holiday making negotiations more difficult.
Signing a player on 1st July rather than 1st August means paying wages to the player before he can even play for you.  Potentially you could sign a player on 50k per week and you've spent 200k on him before he kicks a ball for you.  Many clubs won't have decided who they're willing to sell yet as they are working on deals to buy players themselves.

Pros:

As the summer wears on, it becomes more difficult to get targets.  If you leave it too late, clubs won't sell as they have no time to get a replacement in before the deadline.  Also as you near the transfer deadline it's more the seller's market, they know clubs are more desperate to buy and fees become inflated.  Players have more time to get used to the environment and get to know their team-mates the earlier they sign.

Personally I'm disappointed we've not signed any top players yet, if we're honest with ourselves we're all a bit disappointed, but it's early days yet.  Looking at the pros and cons I still think it's better to sign players earlier in the summer rather than later.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:28 pm

john craig wrote:if we're honest with ourselves we're all a bit disappointed

That's certainly true.  Like everyone else, I check the various media sources everyday to see if we've signed anyone yet and it always hurts a little to see no movement.  Some people have been raging about this, though, while others sound almost suicidal.  I think the saner option is to keep the issues in perspective.  It's nothing at all like buying a new car--top players are not just lined up 20 deep on the lot, waiting for you to pick your favourite make and model and kick the tires a few times before hammering out the deal with the fella in the plaid jacket.

Think of it like buying a house in a top neighbourhood.  There may only be a handful for sale, a few of them may not be what you're looking for and many of those may be out of your price range.  Of course, there will be other buyers and you will definitely need to inspect the place, negotiate the price, do all the paper work, sort out the estate agent commission, the taxes, the financing details, etc.  And, every single time you put the ball back in someone else's court, you'll have to sweat out the inevitable delay before they get back to you.  Now, imagine trying to do that with 3-4 houses simultaneously while the sellers you are negotiating with are themselves in the midst of negotiating 3-4 concurrent deals.  That's the transfer market...especially at the top end where we now want to operate.  Is it any wonder these things don't happen over night? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:14 pm

john craig wrote:Cons:

Are you telling me that players cant be arsed delaying their holiday one or two weeks to negotiate a 50 to 70,000 quid a week move?  I knew football players were bl**dy stupid but they cant be that daft surely?

I can just see Emlyn speaking to Shanks in his high pitched voice "Whats that Mr Shankly, Liverpool want to sign me?"   "Can you call me back in 10 days 'cos I'm in Skegness on holiday and I'm busy".

Bowlocks.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:10 pm

john craig wrote:Obviously a lot depends on when certain players become available, but there are pros and cons to signing players this early in the summer.

Cons:

Signing a player on 1st July rather than 1st August means paying wages to the player before he can even play for you.  Potentially you could sign a player on 50k per week and you've spent 200k on him before he kicks a ball for you.  Many clubs won't have decided who they're willing to sell yet as they are working on deals to buy players themselves.

Pros:

As the summer wears on, it becomes more difficult to get targets.  If you leave it too late, clubs won't sell as they have no time to get a replacement in before the deadline.  Also as you near the transfer deadline it's more the seller's market, they know clubs are more desperate to buy and fees become inflated.  Players have more time to get used to the environment and get to know their team-mates the earlier they sign.

Personally I'm disappointed we've not signed any top players yet, if we're honest with ourselves we're all a bit disappointed, but it's early days yet.  Looking at the pros and cons I still think it's better to sign players earlier in the summer rather than later.

All you say is very true, but the cons is nothing compared to the pros you mention.

Paying a whole month of wages is nothing, since waiting a month will make the price sky rocket since other clubs will have less time getting replacements and with trainign camp started clubs wants to gel a team and not sell when you are in a build up for a new season.
So while you may save £200,000 on wages you might have to spend 2 million extra or loose out on the target all together.

And even if we don't know of all the dealings happening, we all know one thing 100%. Once a fee is agreed and the player has agreed a contract you can bet it will be announced by Liverpool right away.
Which means we are not hiding any signings that will miracoulusly be revealed 1st of July.
I don't think it's that early days. We have been able to get players signed for a whole month already and after 2-3 weeks it's quickly going to get much tougher.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Penguins wrote:I don't think it's that early days. We have been able to get players signed for a whole month already and after 2-3 weeks it's quickly going to get much tougher.

We shall see, in a month, come back and moan at our lack of activity.
LFC2007

Postby redtrader74 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:11 am

Bad Bob wrote:
john craig wrote:if we're honest with ourselves we're all a bit disappointed

That's certainly true.  Like everyone else, I check the various media sources everyday to see if we've signed anyone yet and it always hurts a little to see no movement.  Some people have been raging about this, though, while others sound almost suicidal.  I think the saner option is to keep the issues in perspective.  It's nothing at all like buying a new car--top players are not just lined up 20 deep on the lot, waiting for you to pick your favourite make and model and kick the tires a few times before hammering out the deal with the fella in the plaid jacket.

Think of it like buying a house in a top neighbourhood.  There may only be a handful for sale, a few of them may not be what you're looking for and many of those may be out of your price range.  Of course, there will be other buyers and you will definitely need to inspect the place, negotiate the price, do all the paper work, sort out the estate agent commission, the taxes, the financing details, etc.  And, every single time you put the ball back in someone else's court, you'll have to sweat out the inevitable delay before they get back to you.  Now, imagine trying to do that with 3-4 houses simultaneously while the sellers you are negotiating with are themselves in the midst of negotiating 3-4 concurrent deals.  That's the transfer market...especially at the top end where we now want to operate.  Is it any wonder these things don't happen over night? ???

Excellent analogy Bob, although we are disappointed with each passing day without a big signing, it isn't going to happen in a matter of days. The type of top player we are after will have lots of other suitors and will take their time to come to a decision, whereas the lower level of player, Arbeloas, Palleta, Benayoun would take your arm off when offered Liverpool.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby redsince2001 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:03 pm

RAFA ON TRANSFERS: THERE IS NO URGENCY YET
Mark Platt 23 June 2007 
  Rafael Benitez has told supporters not to panic about the club's lack of transfer activity so far this summer. 
With the first batch of players due back at Melwood for the start of pre-season training on Thursday, press speculation is rife as to which 'big names' are on the Liverpool manager's shortlist.

But although he's keen to strengthen the squad as soon as possible, Benitez remains calm and insists progress is being made behind the scenes to bring new faces in.

"We have a number of targets, and I am receiving interesting phone calls all the time," he said.

"We are monitoring situations all the time and there is no urgency yet. If we bring in players from Spain, they only finished playing a week ago so they will need a longer break, but I would like somebody in before we start pre-season training." 

looks like we'll sign someone soon........
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:55 pm

I know its only one player but dont all the fans on here slagging Hicks, Gilette Rafa and Parry feel like divys now ? :D

Where are all the signings, we have been lied to, dont trust the yanks.

Then we go and smash our transfer record to bits signing a player that had previously rejected United Chelsea and possibly Arsenal.

BE PATIENT in future and give people a chance  :rasp
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:22 pm

Ace, make no mistake these people won't be satisfied by spending £20m+ on Torres, they still believe we're tight for cash and are unwilling to pay the money.The knives are still well and truly out, bring them Mancini, Eto'o, Milito, Tevez, Richards, Malouda and Heinze and then they may just be convinced.

The yanks are lying to us Ace, where is snoogy doogy?!!!

:laugh:
LFC2007

Postby heimdall » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:44 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Ace, make no mistake these people won't be satisfied by spending £20m+ on Torres, they still believe we're tight for cash and are unwilling to pay the money.The knives are still well and truly out, bring them Mancini, Eto'o, Milito, Tevez, Richards, Malouda and Heinze and then they may just be convinced.

snoogy, snoogy, snoogy, he's our saviour  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
heimdall

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:08 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Ace, make no mistake these people won't be satisfied by spending £20m+ on Torres, they still believe we're tight for cash and are unwilling to pay the money.The knives are still well and truly out, bring them Mancini, Eto'o, Milito, Tevez, Richards, Malouda and Heinze and then they may just be convinced.

Haha snoogy doogy,  :D

Classic comment that will be repeated for years  :laugh:

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:41 pm

I have not been totally fooled like some people who think there is loads of money just cause we bought Torres.
1 player and everyone is happy.
That for me means nothing when we have sold players for more than what we bought Torres for.

8 for Bellamy, around 7 for Cissé, 4 for Garcia, 3 for Pongolle and Gonzales for 3.5. So that is around £25m and we have let go of Fowler, Zenden and Dudek on free.

20 for Torres, 2,5 for Leto, 6 for Lucas and Voronin for free is all we've brought in for the 1st team squad!
That makes it around £28m on players bought.
So we have actucally spend jack all so far this season and only 1 significant signing for £15m+.

Manure have brought in 4! £15m+ players and won the league by 20+ pts.

At least previous seasons Rafa has been given around 15 million to spend.
We still have Kewell and Pennant as only wingers and if you look up average in the dictionary you'll find those names.

It's still only mid July but i'm not being blinded by the new record signing and is still asking where are the wingers and where is the money?

I want 2 top class wingers until I'm satisfied and yes top class means 2 more 15m+ signings.
If not we can forget the league.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:07 am

I'm waiting and waiting patiently. We've seen Torres come in, but lets not rest on our lurals hey.
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill