Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:42 pm

kazza » Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:39 pm wrote:Liverpool's move for Gordon fails to materialise
Talks between Newcastle and Liverpool over the potential sale of Anthony Gordon did not progress because Jarell Quansah would have been part of the deal.
Liverpool are understood to admire Gordon but see Quansah as a big part of their future having established himself as a first-team regular.
The club also have strength in depth in attacking positions and see him as a future England regular.
Several clubs are under pressure to comply with the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules (PSR) before the deadline on June 30.

i like Quansah but hand on heart i think he lacks a yard of pace, famous last words i know but if we sold him i dont think he'd come back to bite us on the backside by developing into the next Baresi or Hansen or Van Dijk. I think we turned our noses up at a better young player in that Mickey Van Der Whats-his-name who ended up going to Spurs after being linked with us most of the summer, he's only a couple of years older than Jarrell and a far better player imo. Him and Konate would have been a hell of a CB partnership going forward, we missed a trick there.
I would have been tempted to let Jarrell go, Gordon is a good player, he's really quick and direct and was voted Newcastle's player of the year by their fans. The lad doesnt eff around, he goes right at defenders and either gets a good ball in or a shot off, not all this sideways and backwards shyte. i've kept my eye on him ever since he gave us tons of trouble in a derby games, frustrating to hear he was at Liverpool as a kid but the club let him go. He'd be a hell of an addition to the squad, him on one wing Luis Dias on the other, Nunez down the middle....thats an effin quick front 3 and i mean effin quick.
Anthony was clocked running quicker than Kyle Walker last season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:04 pm

Newcastle were ready to sell Anthony Gordon to Liverpool this week as they strive to comply with financial rules - but talks over a move have broken down.

The Reds admire the England winger but the proposed deal - said to include defender Jarell Quansah heading in the opposite direction - was not right for them. They did not want to lose Quansah, who they see as a future England international, and also have strength in depth in wide areas.

Liverpool may have proceeded had the package been different, but they did not make an offer after discussions with the Magpies. There is a chance talks could be revived over the weekend.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:16 pm

Gordon would probably cost £100m+. Good to see we're not only looking for unproved players at least.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:21 pm

More has been coming out about the proposed deal, by all accounts Newcastle contacted us, not the other way round and they also contacted Chelsea to see if the blues were interested in buying Isak. So Newcastle initiated the talks not us. Thought it was a bit unlike us to go after someone like Gordon who, as dj alludes, would cost a good few bob.
Forget about it, it aint happening, buying players of Gordon's profile aint our modus operandi at all.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:04 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:21 pm wrote:More has been coming out about the proposed deal, by all accounts Newcastle contacted us, not the other way round and they also contacted Chelsea to see if the blues were interested in buying Isak. So Newcastle initiated the talks not us. Thought it was a bit unlike us to go after someone like Gordon who, as dj alludes, would cost a good few bob.
Forget about it, it aint happening, buying players of Gordon's profile aint our modus operandi at all.

I’m not so sure Yakka, we have CL football, a new manager, an extra 10k seats at Anfield, a record kit deal so I think they will spend if the player is right. We bought Nunez for near what Gordon would cost so they do spend when they have to. Now if Salah leaves he will be replaced and they will spend it. Not saying that Gordon is what we need but I can see them spending if needs be. I think that Gordon at 100m is overpriced merely because he’s English, there are better deals out there in any case.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:36 am

Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham are all interested in 22-year-old Italy defender Riccardo Calafiori but will have to pay in excess of £40m to prise him away from Bologna. (Express)
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:17 pm

We don’t have much luck with Italian players, so a bit wary of any move for another one.

As for Gordon, I’ve never been a huge fan. And am sure we could get better elsewhere.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to The Rumour Mill