Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 am

C-R » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:47 am wrote:50 million pounds for Sturridge ??? PSG offering it according to the Express

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ews-gossip

would you take that ?  I think I would

The Mail is reporting a figure of £45 million. Either way given Sturridges' injury record I can't see any club offering anything much over £30 million unless it was heavily linked to appearances.

But, to answer your question, if a no strings offer of £45-£50 million was on the table, yeah I think I'd take it.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby C-R » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:23 am

woof woof ! » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 am wrote:
C-R » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:47 am wrote:50 million pounds for Sturridge ??? PSG offering it according to the Express

The Mail is reporting a figure of £45 million. Either way given Sturridges' injury record I can't see any club offering anything much over £30 million unless it was heavily linked to appearances.

But, to answer your question, if a no strings offer of £45-£50 million was on the table, yeah I think I'd take it.

@Woof

Lets say (in theory) Sturridge, Benteke, Henderson, Balotelli all leave for big/decent money, what pair of strikers would you like to see that are achievable for us ?
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:56 am

Hard to say CR. The lack of CL footy hampers our attempt to secure the signings of proven top shelf strikers, but assuming we had the money and one of them was prepared to come I'd be happy with any one of the usual suspects i.e. Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Higuain or even Benzema.

Don't think we could afford to splash the cash on two top strikers as other area's of the team need some serious investment. I know he recently signed a new contract with West Ham but love the fella Payet, would be made up if we could get hold of him.

We can but dream   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Paper speculation but that sort of fee is a reflection of his abilities when available. I wouldnt sell him for that (or any other figure under what we got for Suarez) simply because we're unable to bring in a better forward. 60 mill in today's market will get you 2 Hendersons, Downings, Bentekes, etc. which imo wouldnt improve our starting 11.

Anyway you try to spin it, Sturridge is the most valuable asset the club has atm. He scores regularly and many would put him in the top bracket (a pretty small bracket) of strikers available worldwide. For that kind of money, I dont think its a risk worth taking.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:56 pm

aCe' » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:03 pm wrote:Paper speculation but that sort of fee is a reflection of his abilities when available. I wouldnt sell him for that (or any other figure under what we got for Suarez) simply because we're unable to bring in a better forward. 60 mill in today's market will get you 2 Hendersons, Downings, Bentekes, etc. which imo wouldnt improve our starting 11.

Anyway you try to spin it, Sturridge is the most valuable asset the club has atm. He scores regularly and many would put him in the top bracket (a pretty small bracket) of strikers available worldwide. For that kind of money, I dont think its a risk worth taking.

It definately would be a risk to sell our one proven goalscorer but I've got a feeling Klopp isn't really impressed by Danny's work rate so it wouldn't surprise me if these stories did have some substance to them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:33 pm

C-R » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 am wrote:
woof woof ! » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 am wrote:

@Woof

Lets say (in theory) Sturridge, Benteke, Henderson, Balotelli all leave for big/decent money, what pair of strikers would you like to see that are achievable for us ?

How many goals does Gotze normally weigh in with? Would a front 3 of say Gotze, Coutinho and Firmino score enough goals?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:58 am

You would have to bring in another top striker to the club Yakka. Especially if we were looking to sell Benteke.

If we were offered 50m for Sturridge I would take that in a heartbeat, sell Benteke (15m-20m) and rebuild our front line.

Gotze is more an attacking midfielder but would be a dramatic improvement on Lallana, who could become more of a squad player. Personally I would go for Reus over Gotze though.

The question, is, if we had another 30 or 40m to spend who would it be? Lacazette? Icardi?

Firmino            Coutinho             Gotze/Reus

?
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:28 am

eds » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:58 am wrote:You would have to bring in another top striker to the club Yakka. Especially if we were looking to sell Benteke.

If we were offered 50m for Sturridge I would take that in a heartbeat, sell Benteke (15m-20m) and rebuild our front line.

Gotze is more an attacking midfielder but would be a dramatic improvement on Lallana, who could become more of a squad player. Personally I would go for Reus over Gotze though.

The question, is, if we had another 30 or 40m to spend who would it be? Lacazette? Icardi?

?

Given the noises coming out of Germany Gotze is looking pretty much like a done deal mate so it looks like we'll just have to settle for him!  It's actually a pity Jamie Vardy is on the verge of turning 30, with his pace, work rate, willingness to chase lost causes and of course goal scoring ability he would have been perfect for our gegenpressing style.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:28 am wrote:
eds » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:58 am wrote:You would have to bring in another top striker to the club Yakka. Especially if we were looking to sell Benteke.

?

Given the noises coming out of Germany Gotze is looking pretty much like a done deal mate so it looks like we'll just have to settle for him!  It's actually a pity Jamie Vardy is on the verge of turning 30, with his pace, work rate, willingness to chase lost causes and of course goal scoring ability he would have been perfect for our gegenpressing style.

What I said a few months back... He'd be ideal for Klopp's system...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Kevin Volland now, basically BILD is just going down the Bundesliga team rostas and copy then pasting names into Twitter next to Klopps on an hourly basis.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:01 pm

aCe' » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:03 pm wrote:Paper speculation but that sort of fee is a reflection of his abilities when available. I wouldnt sell him for that (or any other figure under what we got for Suarez) simply because we're unable to bring in a better forward. 60 mill in today's market will get you 2 Hendersons, Downings, Bentekes, etc. which imo wouldnt improve our starting 11.

Ace you are actually suggesting that Danny is worth the same as Suarez? Lets face it the PSG deal is probably a load of tabloid garbage. If it isn't I would bite their hands off for £45/50m.  That is very very serious money for a player that you simply cannot rely on. When he plays he can do special things.His shot from a free kick that rattled the cross bar against Southampton was almost a goal of rare beauty. I am a massive fan of Danny and he is an amazing talent but he certainly has  more than his fair share of injuries and unfortunately they are usually long term. It is also true to say that you could kick Suarez all day long and he still bounces back as fresh as a daisy for the next game. Suarez's work rate is  is also of a much higher and effective rate than Danny's. If I had to write a cheque for £60m and the choice was Danny or Luis then it would not take me very long to decide who I would want and his name wouldn't start with a D............
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Sky Germany have reported that Arsenal are in talks to sign Granit Xhaka for £34M.

Might free us up for our real target of Mario Götze
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:36 pm

C-R » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:15 pm wrote:Sky Germany have reported that Arsenal are in talks to sign Granit Xhaka for £34M.

Might free us up for our real target of Mario Götze

I'd actually argue that it's more important for us to sign Xhaka (or someone of his ilk like Gundogan or Veratti etc) than another AM like Gotze.
Yes it would be terrific to sign Gotze (and hopefully we still will sign him) but imo CM is the one area of the team where we really need to significantly upgrade.
Arsenal coming in for Xhaka is a real blow.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:53 am

devaney » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:01 pm wrote:

Ace you are actually suggesting that Danny is worth the same as Suarez? Lets face it the PSG deal is probably a load of tabloid garbage. If it isn't I would bite their hands off for £45/50m.  That is very very serious money for a player that you simply cannot rely on. When he plays he can do special things.His shot from a free kick that rattled the cross bar against Southampton was almost a goal of rare beauty. I am a massive fan of Danny and he is an amazing talent but he certainly has  more than his fair share of injuries and unfortunately they are usually long term. It is also true to say that you could kick Suarez all day long and he still bounces back as fresh as a daisy for the next game. Suarez's work rate is  is also of a much higher and effective rate than Danny's. If I had to write a cheque for £60m and the choice was Danny or Luis then it would not take me very long to decide who I would want and his name wouldn't start with a D............

Ermm... no I wasn't suggesting that he is. No need to reply to the rest of the post I suppose.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:08 am

aCe' » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:53 am wrote:
devaney » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:01 pm wrote:

Ermm... no I wasn't suggesting that he is. No need to reply to the rest of the post I suppose.

Forgive my assumption Ace. I thought as you would only accept what we got for Suarez as an absolute minimum that you felt Sturridge was worth the same...... Has the market changed that dramatically since we sold Suarez.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext