Malouda eh.......what you reckon?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:57 pm

fat maradona wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:And there was I thinking we outplayed Milan... :O

Are you serious dude? Take off the rose tinted specs and admit that Milan had an extremely off day. We only managed to "keep up with them" because of that. This may sound sacrilege, but if they had played at the same level as when they played manure then we would have had our ars*s spanked and handed to us on a plate.

The general consensus between my work colleagues was that Milan had "stepped off the gas" because they were playing us and NOT that we had nullified them. I'm embarrassed to agree with them, in part.

Well i'm embaressed that you write that crap on here, yeah they got to a CL final against us again, after the horror of 2005 and they 'stepped off the gas'....wtf :D  before a post, how about using the green cross code, stop look and listen
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby fat maradona » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:00 pm

puroresu wrote:
fat maradona wrote:

Are you serious dude? Take off the rose tinted specs and admit that Milan had an extremely off day. We only managed to "keep up with them" because of that. This may sound sacrilege, but if they had played at the same level as when they played manure then we would have had our ars*s spanked and handed to us on a plate.

The general consensus between my work colleagues was that Milan had "stepped off the gas" because they were playing us and NOT that we had nullified them. I'm embarrassed to agree with them, in part.

I dont think Milan stepped off. We had a system which made it difficult for them to play. It was different with Utd as Utd home and away had the mentality of 'attack'.  However In no way can I say we were far the better side in Athens and Milan were lucky to win.  We lost due to the fact in the final 3rd we lacked the genuine real class to score the goals needed.

Spot on mate. Continental sides see us as predictable and easy to nullify. We keep buying average players in the hope that there will be a miracle and they will gel into a formidable unit. Doesn't work like that. Apart from Gerrard, no other player would get a look in on the team sheet of any other decent side. Accept the facts and do something about it, is whats required.
fat maradona

Postby puroresu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:01 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
puroresu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
fat maradona wrote:
humdrum wrote:
fat maradona wrote:Don't get me wrong....I love everything about this club...but the "top" players do not want to come to Liverpool anymore. We haven't amounted to much in the premiership. Reaching the CL final again did our reputation some good but there's no point in playing on the biggest stages in world football if we aren't going to play well. Is there?

i agree - it may be that we only end up siging the likes of Benayoun, Bent, Voronin which would be a step back again for us

Yeh, and those names hardly strike fear into manure, chelski and :censored: when they read that we've signed them..

Whatever happened to our youth setup, with worldclass players coming through season after season? Even our scouts are rubbish...I think there is too much emphasis on picking up "up and coming talent" at bargain bin prices than spending the money where it counts. At this rate we aren't going to amount to anything more than 5th or 6th place come the seasons end.

Stop chatting sh*t.

Sidwell? Ben Haim?

F*cking hell - I'm scared by those names...

Surely that isnt the same though.  They lost out on the title by just a few points and dont need to sign 3 or 4 big names.  We on the otherhand were way behind and need genuine quality to have a realistic chance at the title.

But in saying that, surely the closer you are to the top, the higher the quality required to make a difference?

For my money, Benayoun is a higher-quality player than either of those.

Benayoun is a good player.  The worry I have is he would improve our squad but not really the team.  Players like Sidwell and Ben Haim are players chelsea are signing due to being free transfers and onces to fill the squad.  Neither will start as regulars. 

I will be disappointed if Malouda or an Alves end up at somewhere like chelsea instead of us.
puroresu

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm

puroresu wrote:Signing players that other top teams wouldnt touch is not the answer.

Signing players that suit us and who we need are the ones we should be looking for.

It is irrelevant what other clubs think about who we sign.
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:08 pm

puroresu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
puroresu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
fat maradona wrote:
humdrum wrote:
fat maradona wrote:Don't get me wrong....I love everything about this club...but the "top" players do not want to come to Liverpool anymore. We haven't amounted to much in the premiership. Reaching the CL final again did our reputation some good but there's no point in playing on the biggest stages in world football if we aren't going to play well. Is there?

i agree - it may be that we only end up siging the likes of Benayoun, Bent, Voronin which would be a step back again for us

Yeh, and those names hardly strike fear into manure, chelski and :censored: when they read that we've signed them..

Whatever happened to our youth setup, with worldclass players coming through season after season? Even our scouts are rubbish...I think there is too much emphasis on picking up "up and coming talent" at bargain bin prices than spending the money where it counts. At this rate we aren't going to amount to anything more than 5th or 6th place come the seasons end.

Stop chatting sh*t.

Sidwell? Ben Haim?

Surely that isnt the same though.  They lost out on the title by just a few points and dont need to sign 3 or 4 big names.  We on the otherhand were way behind and need genuine quality to have a realistic chance at the title.

But in saying that, surely the closer you are to the top, the higher the quality required to make a difference?

Benayoun is a good player.  The worry I have is he would improve our squad but not really the team.  Players like Sidwell and Ben Haim are players chelsea are signing due to being free transfers and onces to fill the squad.  Neither will start as regulars. 

I will be disappointed if Malouda or an Alves end up at somewhere like chelsea instead of us.

Very true, but do you really think Benayoun would be 1st choice for us?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm

puroresu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
puroresu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
fat maradona wrote:
humdrum wrote:

Stop chatting sh*t.

Sidwell? Ben Haim?

Your pessimism seems to be based on the premise that Benayoun would be our only signing. We could sign Benayoun to improve the squad whilst at the same time sign 3 top quality players.
LFC2007

Postby humdrum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:10 pm

kobashi wrote:problem is chelsea and man utd finished 20 points clear of us so we need some big names.

at last - someone talking sense
LFC - 1 team - 1 life
humdrum

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:11 pm

fat maradona wrote:Spot on mate. Continental sides see us as predictable and easy to nullify.

Just like Barcelona, Chelsea and PSV did  :O
LFC2007

Postby humdrum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
fat maradona wrote:

Well I'm afraid only a retard would believe that.

They "stepped off" in a Champions' League final they were desperate to win? One in which they craved revenge for a loss in their previous meeting?

Daftest thing I've ever heard. :no

My brother is mentally disabled so i dont appreciate that mate.
LFC - 1 team - 1 life
humdrum

Postby puroresu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:12 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
puroresu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
puroresu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
fat maradona wrote:
humdrum wrote:

Stop chatting sh*t.

Sidwell? Ben Haim?

Very true, but do you really think Benayoun would be 1st choice for us?

I aint a huge fan of Pennant so wouldnt actually mind seeing Benayoun play instead of him.
puroresu

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:15 pm

humdrum wrote:
kobashi wrote:problem is chelsea and man utd finished 20 points clear of us so we need some big names.

Or not, "big names" are not what I want to see. Players who suit us, players with top quality and players with the corect attitude are the ones I want to see join us.

Go down the Chelsea Schevchenko route and you can spank a sh!t load of money in one go.

A lack of "big names" is not what cost us those 20 points, there was plenty more to the equation than that. If you took time to read some of the threads before joining you might have thought twice about making comments like that.
LFC2007

Postby puroresu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:21 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
humdrum wrote:

Or not, "big names" are not what I want to see. Players who suit us, players with top quality and players with the corect attitude are the ones I want to see join us.

Go down the Chelsea Schevchenko route and you can spank a sh!t load of money in one go.

A lack of "big names" is not what cost us those 20 points, there was plenty more to the equation than that. If you took time to read some of the threads before joining you might have thought twice about making comments like that.

What like a dodgy fixture list.  The reason we were so far behind was down to lack of winning games. Poor away from and the inability to win winning going behind.  The side we have at the moment cannot win the title and we need to improve.  There will always be unknown gems out there but 'Big names' tend to be the ones who posess the real quality.

Sheva was disappointing.  I would never say paying £30 mil for a 30 year old was wise but I dont think anyone can say they thought he would struggle like he did.
puroresu

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:29 pm

puroresu wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
humdrum wrote:

What like a dodgy fixture list.  The reason we were so far behind was down to lack of winning games. Poor away from and the inability to win winning going behind.  The side we have at the moment cannot win the title and we need to improve.  There will always be unknown gems out there but 'Big names' tend to be the ones who posess the real quality.

Sheva was disappointing.  I would never say paying £30 mil for a 30 year old was wise but I dont think anyone can say they thought he would struggle like he did.

A lack of winning games - state the obvious. The reason was not lacking in "big names".

Things such as overrotation, injuries, tactics, attitude, motivation, combined with a lack of quality in particular areas were some of the reasons why we couldn't keep up.

"Big names" may have individual quality, but they do not necessarily fit into the side, Veron anyone?

You don't look for a player by the criteria of "big name" or no "big name" - you look for the person who will fit the bill.

If that person is perceived to have a "big name" then fine, but Rafa doesn't sit in his office and look at a list of "big names", he looks for quality that will suit us.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:54 pm

fat maradona wrote:

If the general consensus among your colleagues is that, then I'd suggest you also reach the consensus of learning more of football.

Milan didn't step off. Ancelotti said that the game plan of Liverpool had him concerned for a good while.

Of course after the goal you take more risks and Milan could play what they knew best. But quite simply, if they didn't make a 3-0 is because they had a better team, or at least a team with a better game plan than Manchester.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:23 pm

humdrum wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
fat maradona wrote:

Well I'm afraid only a retard would believe that.

They "stepped off" in a Champions' League final they were desperate to win? One in which they craved revenge for a loss in their previous meeting?

Daftest thing I've ever heard. :no

My brother is mentally disabled so i dont appreciate that mate.

No offence intended.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill