Malouda eh.......what you reckon?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:35 pm

Simari wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:The question we need to ask ourselves is this:

"Are we prepared to spend over the odds in order to sign the players we want?"

And I think Rafa's answer to that would most often be:

"Not on your nelly."

In the consulting business, we hear this all the time.

My view is this though: you will continue to make money signing on above average people. But if you want to win something now, you have to be willing to pay over the odds.

In the era of money (this era), it is very difficult to obtain results without paying over the odds for someone who will make the difference this year. So, the question remains for us fans: Are we willing to wait for the EPL title?

In no way am I stating that Malouda will get us closer to what we want, as I am not in a position to judge his ability to get us the title.

I agree, but I feel that Rafa will not be held to ransom unless it's a player he really believes we couldn't do without.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:46 pm

If you want to win the Monte Carlo Grand prix you have to turn up with the best car with years of development and testing to find the right combination to be fastest - and that aint cheap. If you want to turn up with a red XR3i with go faster stripes you gotta accept that pitstops wont take six seconds and you're not going to find yourself on the podium.

Now then, if ze Reds want to haul themselves up into the rarified air of first place in the league and best team in europe they cannot avoid buying the key players to make it a reality. No ifs, no buts, cash on the table and buy in 4 class players and offload some of the more average lads who have served us well in the past season or two but arent able to take the club where we want to go. Do we want to be Ferrari or Minardi?     :blues:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:55 pm

Reg wrote:If you want to win the Monte Carlo Grand prix you have to turn up with the best car with years of development and testing to find the right combination to be fastest - and that aint cheap.

Hamilton makes it look pretty easy - top of the championship - years of experience?, maybe we should sign him?

:nod
LFC2007

Postby flamingpoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:58 pm

damn right love that analogy it is spot on reg...... respect :D we need 4 or 5 world class players worth busting the bank 4!!!, for example united have now got in there team cristiano ronaldo, rooney......i hate him but hey hes still good!!!, anderson (new signing) scholes and giggs........then u got chelseawith like essien, ashley cole, lampard (second rate gerrard AND ITS TRUE if he cant work with gerrard in england midfield Fu**ing get rid of im!) ballack and shevchenko(both :censored: in most english fans eyes but to other countries still some of the best players in the world!!!.......and us wat we got gerrard, xabi alonso, riise,carra,agger but we need to get rid of bellamy DESPERATELY!!!
flamingpoe

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:23 pm

flamingpoe wrote:and us wat we got gerrard, xabi alonso, riise,carra,agger but we need to get rid of bellamy DESPERATELY!!!

wads wrong with bellers? i dont remember anyone critisizing him after the nou camp victory. bellamy is good. at least he is more sellfish and direct than our flying dutchman who runs like a headless chicken. kuyt is good...but he works too hard for the team. he needs to be like fowler or rush. sellfish and only have one thing in mind when on the pitch.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby flamingpoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:27 pm

yeah that is right kuyt doesn't have wat you could kill or be killed atitude but he by far has massively better than bellamy, in the fact we need a out and out goal scorer cause we have our linch man that likes to get to the line and pull it back, but bellamy is :censored: and i dont care wat n e of you say kuyt looked better in his first season in the premiership than bellamy has looked his wat rough estimation 6 years hes beeen in the premiership!!!
flamingpoe

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:37 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:kuyt is good...but he works too hard for the team. he needs to be like fowler or rush. sellfish and only have one thing in mind when on the pitch.

That's his style, he is a hard working striker. I'm sure he'll score more next season, but he's not an elegant finisher, he's a hard working link player who fits well within the team. For me he can never work too hard, maybe he needs to work on his movement more, but oneof his main assets is his workrate.
LFC2007

Postby flamingpoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:53 pm

kuyt is a asset to the team no doubt about that but bellamy is easily replacable where as kuyt is not, bellers is also a good bargaining chip for tevez.........if we want tevez that is!
flamingpoe

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:04 pm

I think Bellamy is a good player, but if we sign another striker I can't see where he'd fit in. Especially with the arrival of Voronin.

I'm not so sure how Bellamy would be used to prise Tevez away from West Ham seeing as he is owned by MSI.
LFC2007

Postby flamingpoe » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:09 pm

msi?! soz have no idea who that is!, but hey it was only a thought seeing as liverpool r apparently interested in tevez
flamingpoe

Postby sc6po » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:09 pm

Penguins wrote:Well, Kuyt cost 9m if I remember correctly and strikers will always cost the most.

Ashley young goes into a special category cause he is young and english. Those players will always cost at least around 10m. Has little to do with how good they are.
Walcott, Bale, Young are prime examples and Curtis Davies, Micah Richards will be the same if they are sold.

Playing for a team that is strolling home the league every season means the players have very little pressure on them during the season and they are never close in the CL.
Getting beat by a Roma team that lost 3-8 on agg vs manure speaks volumes.

I do not see a huge difference between the dutch and french league.
PSV has gotten further than Lyon in the last 2 years in the CL!

I rank the Spainish and Italian leagues much higher.

First PSV has not gotten further than Lyon . Last year PSV was defeated twice by Lyon (0-3  in holland, 1-0 in Lyon)...

Then it Seems to me that Maouda is quite like a forward...

French ligue is not easy...Lyon squad, just like Chelsea (seems to me, at least compared to Liverpool) is more a championship team, than a cup one.

Not even close...Think we were against Milan...At least 5 minutes before the end...
Think we were close againt PSV...At least before the tie-break...Oh...And a flagrant foul was denied (inside de penalty area)...

Oh...And by the way...What do you think of the 7-2 0-3 againt Werder Breme two years ago?
Oh...And, for your knowledge...Lille, the team that Manchester had great difficulties to beat (while they were playing witout their best player) is 10 in the ligue...( I wont insist on the help of the referee...)
Quite difficult to judge one team only with one game...
sc6po

Postby sc6po » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Penguins wrote:But it a big difference only to have played in ligue 1 in France and having to stroll home the league every year than playing in one of the top leagues in Europe.

Scoring 15 goals in the PL or 20 in Ligue 1. I know which I would take.
I don't consider ligue 1 players proven top class and therefore shouldn't cost same amount.

Sure, the amount for Abidal might be low, but he is a LB and has never played in a top league and is young.
Lyon may not need to sell since they have money, but they always demand incredible fees once they sell.

Abidal is in his prime.
He's one of the best LB in the wolrd (where was Ashley Cole during the world cup finals?).
He's prooven in French squad, proven in CL...
What else do you need?
Barca first proposal was a swap between Saviola and Abidal...
(oh...by the way...Saviola's contract is done by...now?)...
Barca second proposal was half what was requested...
Ok...End of the negociation...
sc6po

Postby Penguins » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:23 pm

What are you on?

PSV reached the semis 2 years ago and the quarters this past season.

Lyon has never ever got past the quarterfinal stage in the CL, and that is not close to winning.

You can blame circumstances all you want but fact is fact!

Malouda a forward?
1st time I heard he was a forward.

So they beat Bremen. They still loose when the games matter the most and they get into the knockout rounds!

Lille only do well because of the 0-0 approach they take to every game.  Manure won 1-0, 1-0 which is no surprise since Lille can't score.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:28 pm

PSV have done well, they would have been in the 2005 final were it not for a late Ambrosini header, since then they have qualified for the knockout phase knocking out some good teams like Arsenal. But if it's a question of who's the stronger side, then I would say Lyon, but they are still very comparable. If I was asked 3 seasons ago who was stronger I would have said PSV under Hiddink when they dominated the eredivisie and pushed for the UCL each season. Overall IMO the French League has more depth than the eredivisie. Even cast offs from the SPL end up at some of the lesser Dutch sides. Michael Ball was at PSV I think, feck knows how.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Ok, it may have more depth, but the top teams are just as good in Holland and 17 million for a left midfielder from ligue 1 ???

That just makes no sense to me...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill