Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 pm

This is a bizarre situation to say the least.

Sell a proven top-class CM to buy a one-season wonder for more money.
Pathetic, really.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Gerrard is talking now on SSN from the stadium in Trinadad.

Personally I had no idea Trinadad has a stadium.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:18 pm

Gerrard wants Barry at Liverpool
Gareth Barry and Steven Gerrard
Gerrard said Barry needed to play Champions League football

Steven Gerrard has said he is "desperate" for Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry to join him at Liverpool.

Barry, who is expected to lead England against Trinidad & Tobago on Sunday, will talk about his future after he returns from international duty.

"I want Gareth Barry to become a Liverpool player. I am desperate for us to sign him," said Gerrard.

"He's a good player. I want Liverpool to be as strong as possible and Gareth Barry will certainly make us stronger."

Gerrard's comments are likely to rile Villa manager Martin O'Neill who has already criticised Liverpool's handling of the situation.

O'Neill is determined to keep hold of his captain and earlier this month claimed Liverpool's £10m cash plus player bid undervalued the midfielder.

I think Gareth is 27 now and he needs to play Champions League football

Steven Gerrard
But Gerrard, a good friend of the 27-year-old, believed Barry, who has two years remaining on his contract, needed to play Champions League football.

"Gareth Barry is someone who will improve Liverpool. We can't be disrespectful to Villa. He is still their player and we will see what happens," said Gerrard.

"Naturally, they are going to try and keep hold of him, and rightly so because he is one of their star men. He has been a fantastic servant for them over many years.

"I know all about Gareth, I am good friends with him off the pitch and I am desperate for us to sign him.

"You talk about improving the team, the starting XI and the squad, and Gareth will certainly help Liverpool to become a better team.

"It is easy to play with good players. I've been asked a lot of questions this season about Fernando Torres and the simple answer is 'it's easier playing with quality players' - and Gareth comes into that category."

Barry has only ever played for Villa and is due a testimonial, having signed professional forms with the club in February 1998.

606: DEBATE
Where will Gareth Barry be playing next season?
Gerrard added: "I am sure Gareth will find it hard to leave Villa. He has been fantastic for them but, in football, sometimes opportunities come along where you can better your career.

"I think Gareth is 27 now and he needs to play Champions League football. In my opinion, he needs that now.

"I've enjoyed playing with him for England. He is quite an easy player to play with. He keeps it simple, he is easy to read and I certainly enjoy playing with him because I've got a good relationship on and off the pitch."
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Fri May 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:This is a bizarre situation to say the least.

Pathetic, really.

Unless barry plays on the left and get someone to replace alonso.

but if we don't replace alonso, I really hope lucas becomes a better replacement than alonso
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:This is a bizarre situation to say the least.

Pathetic, really.

TBH , xabi has been more of a one season wonder , he hasn't performed since his first season . 2nd season was rather mixed  Secondly , barry has been consistent for the past 3 seasons and has certainly been the star at villa , the same barry that is keeping not only fat frank but hargreaves out of his regular position . Credit where is due , i would happily keep alonso , if he can regain his sensational form in his first season but at the moment he hardly is showing even the faintest chance of doing it .
Last edited by Toffeehater on Fri May 30, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby King Carra » Fri May 30, 2008 8:23 pm

I don't really think you can compare Barry and Alonso together. They're both good players, but play different games. Xabi is more of a slower player and needs the game to be slowed down and is more defensive, whereas Barry is more offensive. I'd welcome Barry in our team with open arms. I think him and Gerrard in the same team week in week out (with rotations obvs) he'd be amazing for us. Alonso is a good player, but he's become far too inconsistent for my liking.

People can argue that we're decreasing quality in the centre of midfield, but how do we know what? We don't. Barry looks better with better players around him (just look at England) and he'd certainly boost our goals from midfield (which definitely needs to be improved as all the expectance is on Gerrard and Torres to score).
King Carra

Postby PabloAimar » Fri May 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Owzat wrote:I just feel we're in a Hargreaves situation, long time looking at the target and we have players that can fill the role - in their case Carrick. They paid a lot of money and perhaps could have spent it on a striker, a position needed. It also reminds me a bit of the Cisse deal, too desperate to land the target paying over the odds and once you commit to signing a player you lose control of the fee. We're unlikely to land a bargain under these circumstances, perhaps Barry should stay this season and buy out his contract if his beloved villa repeat their past season. I'm sure some villa fans think they'll be looking down at us this coming season, carried away because someone they paid over the odds for had a good season.

as much as i hate man utd - u've picked a bad example there...

havent they just done the double with hargreaves being a key player?

'unlikely to land a bargain under these circumstances' - ur right, he's not out of contract and is very happy where he is at the moment ...why the heck would he ever become a 'bargain' - just because we are interested in him? if u want bargains, we have voronin and degen and i hear kewell's on the market??
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby Penguins » Fri May 30, 2008 10:32 pm

The problem with that comparison is that we can't afford to just bid and bid until Villa is interested. They are in no need to sell cause barry is staying totally silent. We can't afford to be
paying 18 million for a player like Barry. Manure can do that, like for example with Hargreaves, we can't. Simple really.

We won't pay that kind of money for him.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sat May 31, 2008 7:28 am

PabloAimar wrote:
Owzat wrote:I just feel we're in a Hargreaves situation, long time looking at the target and we have players that can fill the role - in their case Carrick. They paid a lot of money and perhaps could have spent it on a striker, a position needed. It also reminds me a bit of the Cisse deal, too desperate to land the target paying over the odds and once you commit to signing a player you lose control of the fee. We're unlikely to land a bargain under these circumstances, perhaps Barry should stay this season and buy out his contract if his beloved villa repeat their past season. I'm sure some villa fans think they'll be looking down at us this coming season, carried away because someone they paid over the odds for had a good season.

as much as i hate man utd - u've picked a bad example there...

havent they just done the double with hargreaves being a key player?

'unlikely to land a bargain under these circumstances' - ur right, he's not out of contract and is very happy where he is at the moment ...why the heck would he ever become a 'bargain' - just because we are interested in him? if u want bargains, we have voronin and degen and i hear kewell's on the market??

It's not a bad example, the timing and length of time spent over the transfer is the example. If the mancs had shown less sustained interest they might have got him a lot cheaper, or perhaps you'd care to show examples of where a footballer from the Bundesliga has cost over £15m......................

And whether they did the double or not isn't down to Hargreaves, did a) he not miss a fair bit through injury and B) they win the Premiership (more convincingly) without him the previous season and only fell at the semi final hurdle of the Champions League. ie he made minimal difference IF you decide to attribute that to him and not Ronaldo's super season and the acquisition of Nani and Anderson.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat May 31, 2008 7:33 am

Penguins wrote:The problem with that comparison is that we can't afford to just bid and bid until Villa is interested. They are in no need to sell cause barry is staying totally silent. We can't afford to be
paying 18 million for a player like Barry. Manure can do that, like for example with Hargreaves, we can't. Simple really.

We won't pay that kind of money for him.

What he said. The thing is you're unlikely to get a player at bargain price or even at a fair price if the bidding hits a prolonged process. Whether Barry is worth it is no more a yes or no than it was with Hargreaves, obviously saying "look at the success the mancs had" is rather blinkered considering they would likely have had that success even if Anderson or Carrick or any midfielder of any substance had played where he did.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sat May 31, 2008 9:28 am

redsince2001 wrote:Gerrard wants Barry at Liverpool
Gareth Barry and Steven Gerrard
Gerrard said Barry needed to play Champions League football

Steven Gerrard has said he is "desperate" for Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry to join him at Liverpool.

Barry, who is expected to lead England against Trinidad & Tobago on Sunday, will talk about his future after he returns from international duty.

"I want Gareth Barry to become a Liverpool player. I am desperate for us to sign him," said Gerrard.

"He's a good player. I want Liverpool to be as strong as possible and Gareth Barry will certainly make us stronger."

Gerrard's comments are likely to rile Villa manager Martin O'Neill who has already criticised Liverpool's handling of the situation.

O'Neill is determined to keep hold of his captain and earlier this month claimed Liverpool's £10m cash plus player bid undervalued the midfielder.

I think Gareth is 27 now and he needs to play Champions League football

Steven Gerrard
But Gerrard, a good friend of the 27-year-old, believed Barry, who has two years remaining on his contract, needed to play Champions League football.

"Gareth Barry is someone who will improve Liverpool. We can't be disrespectful to Villa. He is still their player and we will see what happens," said Gerrard.

"Naturally, they are going to try and keep hold of him, and rightly so because he is one of their star men. He has been a fantastic servant for them over many years.

"I know all about Gareth, I am good friends with him off the pitch and I am desperate for us to sign him.

"You talk about improving the team, the starting XI and the squad, and Gareth will certainly help Liverpool to become a better team.

"It is easy to play with good players. I've been asked a lot of questions this season about Fernando Torres and the simple answer is 'it's easier playing with quality players' - and Gareth comes into that category."

Barry has only ever played for Villa and is due a testimonial, having signed professional forms with the club in February 1998.

606: DEBATE
Where will Gareth Barry be playing next season?
Gerrard added: "I am sure Gareth will find it hard to leave Villa. He has been fantastic for them but, in football, sometimes opportunities come along where you can better your career.

"I think Gareth is 27 now and he needs to play Champions League football. In my opinion, he needs that now.

"I've enjoyed playing with him for England. He is quite an easy player to play with. He keeps it simple, he is easy to read and I certainly enjoy playing with him because I've got a good relationship on and off the pitch."

Hang on a moment i might be wrong here but i am sure gerrard is trying to tell us he wants barry to join liverpool , tho i could be wrong  :lookaround

:wwww
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sat May 31, 2008 9:49 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Gerrard is talking now on SSN from the stadium in Trinadad.

Personally I had no idea Trinadad has a stadium.

No Mate they were gonna play football on the beach  :shifty
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Sat May 31, 2008 4:31 pm

barry has been a better prem performer than alonso for the past 2 seasons

alonso for me doesnt look like he has the hunger to improve, looks lazy to me and cantt be assed

alonso out for 16 million i would defo do.

i would sign barry cause hes versitle for around 10 mill, not more though.
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:56 pm

I suspect Villa will be looking for a fair sight more than £10m. They'll cite the fees paid for Carrick and Hargreaves, along with the fact that he's recently been ahead of both of them in the England setup. He's also their captain and their best player, so I think they'll be looking for nearer the £15m mark, possibly more.
LFC2007

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 pm

15M for Alonso.

We need resourceful player like Ribery.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext