Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby tubby » Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 am

Ciggy wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Doesnt sound like he wants to come with us. Sounds more like he wants to stay at Villa.

I beg to differ have you seen the interview ???

Actually I havent ya know  :D

I was only going of the quote in the above post but im watching SSN now so they should show it soon.

So i guess it looks more posative than I thought.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu May 29, 2008 10:09 am

Well we've all voiced opinions about the fella over these last few weeks, but there's no question the pass he put through to Gerrard for the goal against USA was out of the very top drawer. Slid first time and with the perfect weight, it absolutely cut their defence in half. I have no doubt that if that had been one of our midfield players, we would have You-tubing ourselves into a frenzy. Top quality piece of work that, although feck knows how he played in the rest of the game because I haven't seen it, and nor do I particularly want to to be perfectly honest.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 am

Second time I've watched Barry in an England shirt and once again he looked the part. As Mick pointed out the ball that put Gerrard through to score was top drawer. If he can do that in a Red shirt I'll be more than happy to see him lining up in our midfield. Think Gerrard will feel the same :D . Nice to have another English fella in the side.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Thu May 29, 2008 10:44 am

bigmick wrote:although feck knows how he played in the rest of the game because I haven't seen it, and nor do I particularly want to to be perfectly honest.

Snap.

I watched the 1st 5 mins then got bored.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:48 am

The pass Barry made to Gerrard was very good, but it wasn't eye of a needle stuff, the marking was non-existent on Gerrard.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Fri May 30, 2008 1:42 am

With those kinds of Qoutes Barry is putting out he might as well stay at Villa.
Not one mention of enthusiasm regarding a move.
If he thinks a deal will happen with Barry putting no kind of pressure on Villa to sell him, he is either stupid or unintelligent.

"I've got two years left of my contract and until some sort of bid is accepted, or the manager tells me otherwise, there is no decision to make.

"No decision has been made because no bid has been accepted."

All it says to me is:

"I am not really intrested in going, but if Villa might be able to force 20 million out of someone I might look at what a club has to offer. Until then I will make no effort to join another club.

If that is how he feels about joining LFC he can **** off.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby SundanceKid » Fri May 30, 2008 3:45 am

He's dying to put on a red shirt. He simply said it was up to O'Neill. Shows that he doesn't want to answer because he wants to respect his contract and the manager.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby LFC2007 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:54 am

To be fair to him, his comments aren't exactly unexpected.

He's been at Villa for 11 years, he has an affinity with the club, and the type of character that he is, I'd expect him to respond in the way he did.

You can hardly expect him to come out and express his desire to move, as in doing so he'd effectively be stitching up the club who gave him his big opportunity to be a seasoned Premiership player. He probably wants to leave, but he also probably wants us to pay a fair wad too - out of respect and necessity to their future. As club captain of a team who rely on you to a great extent, publicly expressing a desire to move on wouldn't be the best way to conduct yourself, IMO.
LFC2007

Postby ConnO'var » Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 am

Penguins wrote:With those kinds of Qoutes Barry is putting out he might as well stay at Villa.
Not one mention of enthusiasm regarding a move.
If he thinks a deal will happen with Barry putting no kind of pressure on Villa to sell him, he is either stupid or unintelligent.

"I've got two years left of my contract and until some sort of bid is accepted, or the manager tells me otherwise, there is no decision to make.

"No decision has been made because no bid has been accepted."

All it says to me is:

"I am not really intrested in going, but if Villa might be able to force 20 million out of someone I might look at what a club has to offer. Until then I will make no effort to join another club.

If that is how he feels about joining LFC he can **** off.

Disagree there mate....

On the contrary, what that says to me is that he's a model professional who doesn't try to hold his club to ransom in order to force a move using the media and the general public. After all, he still has a contract with them and as such is an employee. He's said the right thing and is apparently "doing right" by his club by not airing his wishes in public like a spoilt brat.

Behind closed doors, we have no idea what his wants are and how he has expressed them to his manager and employers. Everything is being conducted on the quiet the way it SHOULD be done imo.

Can you imagine what us fans would feel like if our own club captain , with 2 years left on his contract, publicly made a statement that he would love to go to a bigger club? With the unspoken implication that LFC wasn't good enuff for him? We'd be devastated and would be screaming bloody murder!

No.... imo, he's conducted himself well here and speaks volumes of his character. Well Done, Gareth...
ConnO'var

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 30, 2008 4:41 am

woof woof ! wrote:Second time I've watched Barry in an England shirt and once again he looked the part. As Mick pointed out the ball that put Gerrard through to score was top drawer. If he can do that in a Red shirt I'll be more than happy to see him lining up in our midfield. Think Gerrard will feel the same :D . Nice to have another English fella in the side.

It was a good goal , and again proves the point that barry and gerrard should be the preferred midfield duo for england , not fat frank
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 30, 2008 4:42 am

LFC2007 wrote:To be fair to him, his comments aren't exactly unexpected.

He's been at Villa for 11 years, he has an affinity with the club, and the type of character that he is, I'd expect him to respond in the way he did.

You can hardly expect him to come out and express his desire to move, as in doing so he'd effectively be stitching up the club who gave him his big opportunity to be a seasoned Premiership player. He probably wants to leave, but he also probably wants us to pay a fair wad too - out of respect and necessity to their future. As club captain of a team who rely on you to a great extent, publicly expressing a desire to move on wouldn't be the best way to conduct yourself, IMO.

this certainly answers penguins questions  :nod
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Fri May 30, 2008 5:16 am

I do love the way he's handling the situation though. He knows how much he means to his club, and how much it would hurt to go on about how excited he is to join LFC. I would have to take him from Villa, but he's a great addition to Liverpool, I love his attitude.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Owzat » Fri May 30, 2008 6:53 am

I just feel we're in a Hargreaves situation, long time looking at the target and we have players that can fill the role - in their case Carrick. They paid a lot of money and perhaps could have spent it on a striker, a position needed. It also reminds me a bit of the Cisse deal, too desperate to land the target paying over the odds and once you commit to signing a player you lose control of the fee. We're unlikely to land a bargain under these circumstances, perhaps Barry should stay this season and buy out his contract if his beloved villa repeat their past season. I'm sure some villa fans think they'll be looking down at us this coming season, carried away because someone they paid over the odds for had a good season.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 30, 2008 7:12 am

From the Guardian.

Benítez is hopeful of a breakthrough in his lengthy and acrimonious pursuit of Gareth Barry once he returns from international duty in Trinidad &Tobago next week. Should Barry reject a new contract offer at Aston Villa and informs Martin O'Neill he wishes to join Liverpool, then Benítez will encourage further offers for Xabi Alonso. Juventus officials held talks with their Anfield counterparts on Merseyside last week but Liverpool dismissed a £10m-plus-player offer and want £16m.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Moop123 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Its being reported on 5 Live that Gerrard has been saying that he wants Barry to join him at LFC!  Cant see Gerrard being on MONs xmas card list :D
Moop123

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill