Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu May 22, 2008 10:55 am

Barry is a very good player who would get better with better players around him. No disrespect to the likes of Petrov and Reo-Coker but Gerrard, Alonso, Mascha and Co are a league above they guys.

I think we'll get Barry but maybe not as quick as we'd have liked. I don't want it to get silly though (in terms of what we offer) and Crouch and Carson is pushing it IMO. If I were Villa I'd bite Rafa's hand off to do that deal. Especially considering they (Villa) look to have a player who wants to leave the club...
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Thu May 22, 2008 7:35 pm

King Carra wrote:
Barry is staying wrote:Here is the latest offer, to be honest I don't want either Crouch or Carson at Villa, their are better strikers and better keepers available, without losing our best player

According to the Daily Mirror, Liverpool are willing to exchange Peter Crouch andgoalkeeper Scott Carson in exchange for Aston Villa's England midfielder Gareth Barry.

Rafa Benitez has been upfront about his desire to take Barry to Anfield, where he would link up with his good friend Steven Gerrard, the Reds' captain.

The player-exchange deal is apparently seen by Benitez as a hopefully more attractive offer than the £10 million bid for Barry which Liverpool had rejected last month.

However, Villa manager Martin O'Neill has been adamant when talking about his wish to keep Barry at Villa Park, and he seems in highly determined mood on the subject.

On the other hand, both ex-Villan Crouch, and Carson - the keeper on loan to Villa from Liverpool - have been linked with moves to the West Midlands club in recent weeks.

But are both together a big enough lure to tempt O'Neill into reluctantly parting with Barry?

I think that's a fair offer. Maybe if anything you're getting the better end of the deal, but hey, that's football.

I can understand how much you don't want Barry to leave, but looking at it realistically do you think you'll be able to offer barry Champions League football within the next couple of years? I'm sure even a very optimistic Villa fan would say no. Barry obviously has Villa at heart and even if he does move, I hope your fans still respect him but sometimes players have got to be greedy and move on to further their careers.

Of course that doesn't always happen if your name is Michael Owen.  :D

:nod , spot on
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri May 23, 2008 8:57 am

Two for one, we lose two players we don't need while villa lose a key player and all are over-rated anyway. That about sums up football !

And even if Barry does have 'villa at heart', he can't sacrifice his own personal career ambitions in the hope that villa suddenly do what other clubs have tried and failed to do - get into the big four, win trophies and maybe even win the league. It could be his best shot at the big time, some may feel villa made massive improvements last season but they did lose 10 games and while their 16-12-10 record may be a reversal of their results in 05/06 it is still way off top four standard - the top four only lost 15 games between them. In fairness 10 games is as few as villa have lost in the entirity of the Premiership and it is only the third time they've lost 'only' 10 games, but it's still not great for a supposed genius like O'Squeal
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri May 23, 2008 9:00 am

Radio 5 live just said that Crouch is very unhappy with the link to his move and might refuse the move.

they say he said " my aim is to stay here "
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri May 23, 2008 9:35 am

Just over a month ago he was saying he would have to think things over as he wants to play all the time and now his aim is to stay? If it meanshe has to go to get Barry then I say ship him out.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:22 am

on thing that gets me is that a few times this year some have said that Gerrard is not getting any younger and he has only a few years left in him.

well the same can be said for Barry as he is the same age, so is he such a great buy??
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri May 23, 2008 10:23 am

thats right. we need to look for players that aren't likely to get any older.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:29 am

andy_g wrote:thats right. we need to look for players that aren't likely to get any older.

very funny....you know what i am saying.

would it be better to pay out for a young player with the skill or spend it on a much older player that you know you will not get your money back on.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri May 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Chances are he would be more expensive. I think one of the main reasons we are even in with a shout for Barry is the fact that Villa want carson and may take Crouch aswell. Otherwise we wouldnt be able to get him cash alone.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 am

Barry seeks O'Neill talks

Villa skipper eager to discuss future next week

Last updated: 29th May 2008

Gareth Barry is set to seek further discussions about his future at Aston Villa next week.

The Villa skipper is a £12million-rated target of Liverpool as manager Rafa Benitez attempts to strengthen his squad for a Premier League title tilt next season.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill has been angered by Benitez's approach for Barry and, accompanied by club chairman Randy Lerner, has already held one meeting with the 27-year-old in an attempt to convince him to stay in the Midlands.

However, Barry - who was a second half substitute in England's 2-0 victory over USA at Wembley on Wednesday - is eager for further discussions with O'Neill after Sunday's international friendly against Trinidad & Tobago in Port of Spain.

Big club

"Will I be at Villa next season? That is something I've been speaking to the manager and chairman about. We've already had one meeting," said Barry.

"My idea was to get these two games (USA and Trinidad & Tobago) out of the way and I am sure we will be speaking again soon.

"Any sort of interest by a big club is flattering but I am still an Aston Villa player, I've got two years left of my contract and until some sort of bid is accepted, or the manager tells me otherwise, there is no decision to make.

"No decision has been made because no bid has been accepted."

Disappointment

Meanwhile, Barry insists he was not overly disappointed to miss out on a spot in England manager Fabio Capello's first XI against USA after coming off the bench to set up Steven Gerrard for the second goal.

"You want to start every game," Barry added. "We all know the manager is trying and looking at different things so I am not too upset.

"Hopefully I can go across to Trinidad and play some more minutes over there.

"It was nice to get involved straight away, get involved with the goal, so overall I was not too disappointed with not starting the game."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3623785,00.html
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu May 29, 2008 9:07 am

if he comes to Liverpool and links up with Gerrard as good as he did last night - he'll do just fine!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu May 29, 2008 9:23 am

Doesnt sound like he wants to come with us. Sounds more like he wants to stay at Villa. For :censored: sake lad show some interest in us.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:27 am

phil mc nutty or whatever from bbc SPORTS ... last nite i was reading the updates england-usa updates and he said when Gerrard scored from barry's pass that he was quite certain that that'll be a combination we'll see for Liverpool next season ...
???
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 am

Thats may aswell be paper talk. What the :censored: does he know. Ill believe it when I see it. It was a nice pass from Barry though to set up Gerrard. It was a good team goal actually.

But anyhoo I wont believe it until I see that Villa have accepted it.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu May 29, 2008 9:34 am

bavlondon wrote:Doesnt sound like he wants to come with us. Sounds more like he wants to stay at Villa.

I beg to differ have you seen the interview ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill