Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby kazza » Mon May 19, 2008 6:51 pm

redmikey wrote:i wouldn't be far wrong in guessing they have the same amount of england caps,

And Barry is five years older.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 pm

carson AND crouch for barry ........... !!!!!
thats a bad deal in my book ...... we should ATLEAST get 4-5 m  from villa +barry if we do decide to giv them both crouch and carson in return !
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Number 9 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 pm

redsince2001 wrote:carson AND crouch for barry ........... !!!!!
thats a bad deal in my book ...... we should ATLEAST get 4-5 m  from villa +barry if we do decide to giv them both crouch and carson in return !

Depends on what funds Rafa has mate!

It may come down to what he feels we need more than what players are actually worth.
Lets face it neither Crouch or Carson will ever be more than bit part players at LFC under Rafa!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Crouch and Carson for Barry does look like bad business for us at a first glance.

Crouch is in the last year of his contract so 15 million is unrealistic for him (10 million is about right), and imo 10 million is about twice what Carson is actually worth, I have never been his biggest fan.  Even still if Crouch and Carson have a combined value of 15 million for sake of argument, I still think that's too much for Barry, a player whose career was in a rut until this season.  Villa get 2 England squad players for one, at a time when English players' values could be about to rocket if the 6+5 rule comes in.

My verdict?  O'Neill can fu.ck off
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 am

I'm not crouch's biggest fan but I do think Crouch + Carson is way too much value for Barry. like redsince said if we're giving crouch + carson we should get barry + 4-5 million...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue May 20, 2008 7:37 am

Crouch is worth £7m-£10m tops, Carson is no way worth more than £4m or £5m and Barry isn't worth more than £7m-£10m himself. Could be the exchange of the overpriced

But I agree with JC, O'Neill can fu.ck off - and I'm not talking about this deal!

I had to laugh at a couple of rumours I came across and the funny way these things tend to contradict each other. One says we're after Krancjar and offering Crouch plus £6m while another says Pompey are signing Kewell on £50k a week which will let Arsenal sign Krancjar for £10m. So how much is Krancjar worth? Is Crouch worth £15m as Rafa reckons so we'd be paying £21m for Krancjar? Or is Crouch worth £4m which is what he would be worth if Arsenal get him for £10m and we're offering Crouch plus £6m?

I also read we're going for Downing at £12m if the Barry signing falls through, which is likely if MON is chucking toys out his pram already. I'd like to see us linked with someone inspiring, why is the only link I've seen with Santa Cruz that of Arsenal and only if Adebayor adebuggers off............
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 am

I think this is reasonable for us, after all we will cut two players off the wage bill as well. I would value Barry at 15 million myself and if we can avoid actual capital outlay it will free up cash for signings elsewhere. Villa get what they want, we get what we want - seems too good to be true.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 20, 2008 8:36 am

Chelsea and Manchester United are each struggling to sell-out their allocation of tickets for the Moscow showpiece, despite the Luzhniki stadium's capacity being reduced to 69,500 from 85,000. (Times)

Big clubs my ar$e :laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby Barry is staying » Tue May 20, 2008 11:48 am

[quote="redmikey"][/quote]
o neil is a cheeky little spud munchin tw@t to say barry is worth 18 mill and that carson is over priced at 10 mill

Well maybe he is, but expecting 12 million for Carson while only offering 10 million to Villa for Barry, and part of that 10 million one of your squad players, isn't exactly a fair offer. The end of the day Barry is our best player and if he is going to go, we're out to get the best deal we can.
Barry is staying

Postby Rush Job » Tue May 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Barry is staying wrote:
redmikey wrote:

o neil is a cheeky little spud munchin tw@t to say barry is worth 18 mill and that carson is over priced at 10 mill

Well maybe he is, but expecting 12 million for Carson while only offering 10 million to Villa for Barry, and part of that 10 million one of your squad players, isn't exactly a fair offer. The end of the day Barry is our best player and if he is going to go, we're out to get the best deal we can.

I agree mate you have to put up a fight for your best player, O`Neil knows Barry wants to come to us and by the sound of it from Rafa they have spoke about it a number of times before it went public but he has to make it look like he`s putting up a fight and not letting their best player and captain leave with not so much as a wimper.
If Barry wanted to stay he would of said so by now but you cant blame MON for trying to get the best deal for his side but im sure what is said in public and whats said behind closed doors is very different.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Tue May 20, 2008 4:45 pm

i know he is rated as villas best player but that dose not devalue crouch who has a decent goals per game ratio and a young keeper who has been consistent for your first team and capped at senior level,

i hate that people say crouch is only worth 7 mill and we should be glad of it!!!! your the same fans that want us signing bent for 16 mill to prove we are a big club or dean ashton/bently or any other half decent player you've seen on motd

we are in business and just because we are the purchasers in this case shouldn't mean we get our pants pulled down over the price, so i stick by my original comment

i like the fact rafa is hard nosed when it comes to the cash!!
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu May 22, 2008 9:13 am

redmikey wrote:i know he is rated as villas best player but that dose not devalue crouch who has a decent goals per game ratio and a young keeper who has been consistent for your first team and capped at senior level,

i hate that people say crouch is only worth 7 mill and we should be glad of it!!!! your the same fans that want us signing bent for 16 mill to prove we are a big club or dean ashton/bently or any other half decent player you've seen on motd

Crouch is only worth £7m, and I don't want us to sign Bent or Ashton. As for his "decent goals per game ration" that's 1 goal every 3 games. How is that worth more than £7m? Pompey got a good deal with Defoe, a player I've always thought got a raw deal at spudz. Pompey paid £7.5m and he's got 8 goals in 12 games.

And quite how Carson ever got rated at £10m is a mystery to me, he's shown good form and bad in his career so far and if he were better than Reina he'd be in our goal ahead of Pepe. Keepers can get bought for silly money, just look at Gordon at Sunderland, but realistically Carson is worth £5m tops. I don't know why villa were that interested, they are just as well off with an older keeper of a good level like Sorensen. They should be waiting until they have 10 players in front of him of a much better average level before signing keepers at silly prices.

redmikey wrote:i like the fact rafa is hard nosed when it comes to the cash!!

I don't, it worries me that we could be looking at players like Berbatov and be put off by the price tag. You have to bid high to get the best players, would you have been happy had Rafa said "I want Torres but there's no way I'm paying £21m for him" ? To compete with the best on the pitch you have to compete with the best in the transfer market. That doesn't mean you have to outspend them, but you do need to be in the market for the same quality of players. We signed Torres and got an instant return, same with Mascherano. We budget spent on Pennant, Benayoun etc (compared to what we could have spent) and wish we'd gone for better quality.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu May 22, 2008 9:17 am

Well hopefully the owners will have taken note of how well Fernando and Javier have done since coming and will take that into account when Rafa starts to make his moves.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu May 22, 2008 10:08 am

bavlondon wrote:Well hopefully the owners will have taken note of how well Fernando and Javier have done since coming and will take that into account when Rafa starts to make his moves.

Logically that is how you would run a business. See what works and try to deduce a trend. Big money signings = big success. Freebies and 'value' signings = limited success.

But if Rafa is more worried about his budget and how much he thinks he is being ripped off then he will stick in the £5m-£12m range of transfers. I don't expect us to sign £30m players, but we need to identify quality players, and preferably not shop in the Premiership too much, and pay what is asked. If someone demands ridiculous fees then fair enough, one move I was disappointed we weren't making was Modric who could prove worth the fee spudz paid for him.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 am

Barry is a very good player who would get better with better players around him. No disrespect to the likes of Petrov and Reo-Coker but Gerrard, Alonso, Mascha and Co are a league above they guys.

I think we'll get Barry but maybe not as quick as we'd have liked. I don't want it to get silly though (in terms of what we offer) and Crouch and Carson is pushing it IMO. If I were Villa I'd bite Rafa's hand off to do that deal. Especially considering they (Villa) look to have a player who wants to leave the club...
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill