Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 6:09 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
banana wrote:This is not Alonso VS Barry.

This is LFC chasing Barry.

Barry is a good player. Well capable of replacing any left sided fullback or midfielder in LFC at the moment. Miles ahead of Riise.

Alonso is a top class midfielder. What is the point in selling one of your very best players if you wan't to win the premiership?

All holding midfielders in both Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea are inferior to Alonso.

Barry would in my opinion be a good signing. A left footed player proven in the premiership. A good professional with good mentality and good attributes.

Porbably get slaughtered for this but whats the point in keeping one of your "best" if they have out of form for 3 seasons? Why keep a player who's not been performing for 3 seasons , and when there might be possible suitors out there willing to buy him?

All holding midfielders in arsenal , chelsea and manure are inferiro to alonso?

Chelsea : Makele -> one of the best , if not the best , controlled gerrard in both legs of the champions league

Manure : Anderson -> Deffo a up and coming star has put in some good performances also

Scholes : Old is gold and look how he has performed since coming back from injury , has been putting in lovely passes , like alonso

Arsenal : Fabregas , Pfa young player of the year , has been superb this season and has really stepped up after the depature of henry

So what was that again abt the other 3 having worse holding midfielders that us ?

When did Fabregas and Scholes become defensive midfielders exactly?

fabregas started his career as a defensive mid and so did scholes , and its flamini who ventures foward more that fabregas id u noticed bad bob . Scholes has been playing has a holding midfielder almost all his career and recently only he has moced foward alot due to be played with hargreaves , anderson and carrick alot
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 6:11 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

Barry is a good player. Well capable of replacing any left sided fullback or midfielder in LFC at the moment. Miles ahead of Riise.

Alonso is a top class midfielder. What is the point in selling one of your very best players if you wan't to win the premiership?

All holding midfielders in both Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea are inferior to Alonso.

Barry would in my opinion be a good signing. A left footed player proven in the premiership. A good professional with good mentality and good attributes.

Porbably get slaughtered for this but whats the point in keeping one of your "best" if they have out of form for 3 seasons? Why keep a player who's not been performing for 3 seasons , and when there might be possible suitors out there willing to buy him?

Chelsea : Makele -> one of the best , if not the best , controlled gerrard in both legs of the champions league

Manure : Anderson -> Deffo a up and coming star has put in some good performances also

Scholes : Old is gold and look how he has performed since coming back from injury , has been putting in lovely passes , like alonso

Arsenal : Fabregas , Pfa young player of the year , has been superb this season and has really stepped up after the depature of henry

So what was that again abt the other 3 having worse holding midfielders that us ?

Scholes and Fabregas are never holding midfielders in a million years.  Carrick, Hargreaves and Flamini are much more relevant comparisons.

Scholes and fabregas both are and were . Scholes has been given licencse to move foward more cos of being played with ahrgreaves , carrick and anderson .

Fabregas had flamini in midfield and fabregas is usually the one who stays back more and lets flamini go foward . Not exactly playing in a defensive midfielders roles but is doing that job and he started his career as a defensive mid
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri May 09, 2008 6:11 pm

Toffeehater wrote:fabregas started his career as a defensive mid and so did scholes , and its flamini who ventures foward more that fabregas id u noticed bad bob . Scholes has been playing has a holding midfielder almost all his career and recently only he has moced foward alot due to be played with hargreaves , anderson and carrick alot

You cannot be serious?  Fabregas the holding midfielder while Flamini gets forward?  Scholes the holding midfielder for the Mancs in the past?  What was Keane doing then? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri May 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

fabregas started his career as a defensive mid and so did scholes , and its flamini who ventures foward more that fabregas id u noticed bad bob . Scholes has been playing has a holding midfielder almost all his career and recently only he has moced foward alot due to be played with hargreaves , anderson and carrick alot

Get yourself off to your nearest branch... :D

Paul Scholes couldn't tackle a granny mate - he's a f*cking sh*t defensive player.

He's an attacking mid/central attacking mid.

As for Fabregas starting his career at DM - so what? Sissoko started out as a striker - his shooting is worse than mine! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri May 09, 2008 6:15 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, mate, but Scholes was never a holding player in the same vein as say a Alonso or Hamman. He's always been a box-to-box attacking mid. Recently he's had some holding roles, but that's about it.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 6:16 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:fabregas started his career as a defensive mid and so did scholes , and its flamini who ventures foward more that fabregas id u noticed bad bob . Scholes has been playing has a holding midfielder almost all his career and recently only he has moced foward alot due to be played with hargreaves , anderson and carrick alot

You cannot be serious?  Fabregas the holding midfielder while Flamini gets forward?  Scholes the holding midfielder for the Mancs in the past?  What was Keane doing then? ???

When have u seen both fabregas and flamini attacking together and levaing the defence exposed unless they are losing or up in numbers when they are attacking .

Scholes can play as a holding midfielder , forgot about keane though  :D , my mistake , but scholes does do what alonso should be doing in a holding mid's role , pick out players
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

Get yourself off to your nearest branch... :D

Paul Scholes couldn't tackle a granny mate - he's a f*cking sh*t defensive player.

As for Fabregas starting his career at DM - so what? Sissoko started out as a striker - his shooting is worse than mine! :D

:D  :laugh:  :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 6:18 pm

Ok my bad on the scholes thing but still the idea of my intial first post was there
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri May 09, 2008 6:34 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

When have u seen both fabregas and flamini attacking together and levaing the defence exposed unless they are losing or up in numbers when they are attacking .

Scholes can play as a holding midfielder , forgot about keane though  :D , my mistake , but scholes does do what alonso should be doing in a holding mid's role , pick out players

It's no wonder you don't rate Alonso, mate...you're comparing him to the wrong players! :D 

I'd say, looking at our top three competitors, Alonso can most aptly be compared (and compared favourably) with Michael Carrick--a CM that sits deep, reads the game and is a cultured passer of the ball.  You'll never see Alonso playing Scholes-like/Fabregas-like 1-2s in and around the opponent's box.  He also doesn't have the engine nor the harrying techniques of Anderson or Hargreaves--who are much more like Masch.  Makalele is a little too one-dimensionally defensive to be the best comparison (he basically shields the back four for 90 minutes), while Flamini is a bit more in the Masch/Anderson/Hargreaves mould then in the Carrick/Alonso mould, IMO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Fri May 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

It's no wonder you don't rate Alonso, mate...you're comparing him to the wrong players! :D 

I'd say, looking at our top three competitors, Alonso can most aptly be compared (and compared favourably) with Michael Carrick--a CM that sits deep, reads the game and is a cultured passer of the ball.  You'll never see Alonso playing Scholes-like/Fabregas-like 1-2s in and around the opponent's box.  He also doesn't have the engine nor the harrying techniques of Anderson or Hargreaves--who are much more like Masch.  Makalele is a little too one-dimensionally defensive to be the best comparison (he basically shields the back four for 90 minutes), while Flamini is a bit more in the Masch/Anderson/Hargreaves mould then in the Carrick/Alonso mould, IMO.

I do rate alonso lad , just that he has been dissapointing for the past 3 seasons and i think he had had enough time .

Good post though
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri May 09, 2008 7:12 pm

I know someone already posted a similar article but it seems to of been over looked.  With the way things are looking we may not even get Barry.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill has dismissed as "absolutely crazy" Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez's remarks in the row over Gareth Barry.

O'Neill reacted angrily last week when news of Liverpool's £10 million bid for the England midfielder was made public.
Benitez claimed on Thursday he was surprised by O'Neill's indignation because the pair had discussed the "idea" of a Barry transfer - which could include a player exchange - "20 days ago".
O'Neill responded on Friday by telling his club's official website: "What idea did I have? I've got absolutely no idea! I have no idea what he's talking about. It's absolutely crazy.
"It suggests this is a conversation that I wanted to keep going, to keep on the boiling pot. Absolutely not. It's a complete nonsense.
"This is not something I initiated and I certainly was not on the phone to him to ask him about his players either, which I think is something he's trying to refer to.
"That is not true. He mentioned players himself but I might not be interested in any of his players."
Benitez claimed on Thursday that after the pair spoke, O'Neill told him he would discuss the matter with owner Randy Lerner and it could then be dealt with at the end of the season. Liverpool then made their official bid.
O'Neill reacted to this by claiming he was "particularly disappointed" with Liverpool's timing and by the fact it was made public.
He also revealed how unimpressed with the package he was by adding that Liverpool were not offering straight cash but "an offer involving a mish-mash of nameless player exchanges".
Benitez had claimed O'Neill had known "everything about my idea and I knew about his idea".
But O'Neill has rubbished suggestions that Benitez's remarks somehow expose their previous conversation.
He added: I'm absolutely astonished at this story, 'Rafa Exposes O'Neill'.
"I've never denied speaking to Rafa Benitez so how can you be exposed for something you haven't denied?
"I think Rafa is being very clever here. He gives the impression that there's been constant dialogue. That's simply and utterly untrue.
"He made a phone call to me - I did not initiate the phone call. He asked about Gareth Barry and I said: 'Well he's got a testimonial and two years left to run and he's our best player.' So what would the reaction be?
"I said that I would speak to our owner - obviously because he has a big, big say in the proceedings - and I assumed he would have the same answer as myself - that Gareth wasn't for sale.
"So I'm astonished to read this. The next conversation I had with Rafa Benitez was last Friday morning when Liverpool had put in a faxed offer to us which we received on Thursday afternoon."
TEAMtalk / Eurosport
SupitsJonF

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 09, 2008 7:39 pm

This whole thing has actually been O'Neill's fault.

He's reacted as hysterically as Kenneth Williams in a Carry On movie.

He's the one who made all this stuff public. I find it odd how he's so astonished that one of his best players would attract attention from a bigger club when at the moment O'Neill can offer neither UEFA Cup or Champions League football.

If Liverpool made an offer for Barry, O'Neill could have simply said "no". But instead he's chosen to throw a tantrum publically about it.

Because of the way O'Neill has handled this, now Manhattan wants Everscum to finish fifth.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Sat May 10, 2008 3:56 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:This whole thing has actually been O'Neill's fault.

He's reacted as hysterically as Kenneth Williams in a Carry On movie.

He's the one who made all this stuff public. I find it odd how he's so astonished that one of his best players would attract attention from a bigger club when at the moment O'Neill can offer neither UEFA Cup or Champions League football.

If Liverpool made an offer for Barry, O'Neill could have simply said "no". But instead he's chosen to throw a tantrum publically about it.

Because of the way O'Neill has handled this, now Manhattan wants Everscum to finish fifth.

I've been thinking the exact same, Martin O'Neill sounds like he's losing it altogether, as Manhatan say's it was O'Neill who made all this official and its him who's making the most noise about it all!

I used to like MON but he's starting to sound like a woman on a heavy flow day!
RedRoots

Postby Owzat » Sun May 11, 2008 9:13 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Paul Scholes couldn't tackle a granny mate - he's a f*cking sh*t defensive player.

I can't believe anyone would think Scholes was a DM, his tackling is his achilles heel and he is lucky not to have seen more red and yellow cards for his fouls. He goes in for a tackle often enough, fergie should be telling him to pressure and not tackle. Maybe someone is getting ALAN SMITH and Paul Scholes confused, Smith played DM for the mancs but his tackling could be as bad as Scholes' at times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I tend to agree with views that Martin O'Squeal has thrown his toys out of the pram over this and making something out of nothing. Manager is interested in another team's player shocker! Maybe O'Squeal should be focusing on why teams are interested in so few of his players, Young and Barry apart have they anyone we'd really want? The biggest shame about them paying so much for Young is it pushes up subsequent transfer fees, both Barry and Young could benefit playing in the Champions League and for big clubs, I just don't rate O'Squeal as a manager who can bridge that gap - even with money. And it won't be any easier for him with villa lacking any real pulling power, unable to attract the very best players since they're always bridesmaids and haven't won a cup since the mid 90s.

But I'll be glad if O'Squeal throws a hissy fit and refuses to sell Barry, might be the best for all concerned (bar Barry)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sun May 11, 2008 10:46 am

What Barry brings is possibly the best left foot in the league. In the middle or out left he adds to the squad = good siging for us!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill